@navi_wotd. Na'vi word of the day on Twitter.

Started by Puvomun, March 27, 2011, 10:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puvomun

Kaltxì ma Tanri,

You really worked hard on those! I am not sure if Omängum Fra'uti will want to change his texts and recordings. It's a lot of work already, I guess. It's however up to him...
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Tanri

Nìprrte' ma Puvomun. ;)

Anyway, just finished the rest. I think that even if it is corrected grammatically, still there remain some interesting examples of numbers, plurals, infixes placement among two verbs, all the spice that makes us think hard about the words (and play with them). ;D
Although this page (http://naviwotd.nlpagan.net/indexjs.php) was possibly born as a "side effect" of the Na'vi word of the day, if maintained and refreshed, it deserves to be listed among learning resources.

Tätxawyu akì'ong.

Puvomun

Quote from: Tanri on February 18, 2012, 01:05:30 PM
Although this page (http://naviwotd.nlpagan.net/indexjs.php) was possibly born as a "side effect" of the Na'vi word of the day, if maintained and refreshed, it deserves to be listed among learning resources.

My computer generates a new word of the day and sends it out to Twitter. It uses the sound-samples and the texts that Omängum Fra'uti makes as examples, and also generates the new webpage with the new word, which is then uploaded to the website. So maintained it is, all by an automatic script. :)  All I need to do is make sure there are enough new words in the set, which I then share with our esteemed sample-maker.

I am very proud that we are approaching a full year of words!

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Puvomun

Alrighty then...

I have worked on the updater-script for translating the Na'vi word of the day into other languages, and the new version is up at http://nwyfre.homelinux.net/wupdater/wupdater.php

It should work fine now, but I have no easy way to test this, so here goes.

So far German and Dutch are supported as alternative languages. I'll take care of the Dutch. If someone feels brave enough to counter the German... (and suggestions or offers for other languages are welcome, those are quite easy to set up.)

Important note: it is important to add words/sentences from where the translations left off. So if word 150 is translated, continue with 151. Don't edit 160, 190, 157 and hit send (which is at the very bottom), as these translations will be lost. I don't know why, probably something in the way forms are handled. So be warned.

I'm going to add some more Dutch translations and then see what happens when the new wotd is tweeted (this updates all the other stuff). If that went right, we should be in the clear. New tweet happens today at 5pm CET / 4pm GMT+0.

I'll get back to you with the results.

Added: It seems to work fine. The language updates run separately from the tweet-action (I had forgotten this) and all the updates I added are there. Onwards with the transating... Only a good 200 more. *grin*

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Puvomun

For some odd reason the last 3 words are not copied and stored for transport to the website. If you notice this happening - I know it does. I just don't yet know how to fix it.

Edit - it's fixed for now, but I may have to revise how this thing works. I hit a maximum of fields in the form which was easily adjustable, but I can't extend this number forever.

For now we're good though.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Puvomun

A new file with more words is up at the usual place...

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Plumps

Quote from: Puvomun on February 25, 2012, 03:58:24 AM
Alrighty then...

I have worked on the updater-script for translating the Na'vi word of the day into other languages, and the new version is up at http://nwyfre.homelinux.net/wupdater/wupdater.php

So far German and Dutch are supported as alternative languages. I'll take care of the Dutch. If someone feels brave enough to counter the German...
Sorry for getting to this only now ... you helped the dict-navi.com team tremendously, it's only fair to return the favour ;)
So, given that I can spare enough time I would try to handle the German part. :)

Puvomun

Quote from: Plumps on March 13, 2012, 06:19:06 AM
Quote from: Puvomun on February 25, 2012, 03:58:24 AM
Alrighty then...

So far German and Dutch are supported as alternative languages. I'll take care of the Dutch. If someone feels brave enough to counter the German...
Sorry for getting to this only now ... you helped the dict-navi.com team tremendously, it's only fair to return the favour ;)
So, given that I can spare enough time I would try to handle the German part. :)

Have fun with it! I am very good at forgetting to update the Dutch side... :-X With 4 or 5 Na'vi students things get a bit out of hand...

Ngopyu ayvurä.

omängum fra'uti

Quote from: Tanri on February 18, 2012, 08:03:23 AM
Kaltxì ma frapo!
Thanks to Puvomun and to everyone of you, because being able to simultaneously read and listen those examples is just great. 8)

I looked at some example sentences here http://naviwotd.nlpagan.net/indexjs.php and I have a few notes about them.
Please review my list, as I am not absolutely sure with some things.

Thanks for going over that (And sorry for the slow reply)...  Half the time I'm making the examples it's late at night and I'm already half asleep, so I do probably make more mistakes than I should (And I'm sure if someone were to go over the spoken samples with a critical ear they would find many more).  That said, I agree with probably around half of what you said.  I'll try to explain where I disagree or didn't think it was important enough to change.

(I'm probably not going to re-record most of these any time soon, but I did mark the ones that I changed in my list if I ever get time to do it.)

There are two general cases where I didn't bother with a change though.

1. General references to nouns where in English we would use the plural form are not pluralized in Na'vi.  (E.g. Trees are pretty -> Utral lu lor, not Ayutral lu lor...  http://naviteri.org/2011/07/number-in-na%E2%80%99vi/ - though perhaps a few of the places I used that were not correct)

2. Use of tense/aspect..  In Na'vi, tense and aspect are never grammatically required (Only -iv- and -us- of the the first position infixes are grammatically required) - and I purposely try to vary from day to day whether tense, aspect, both, or neither are used.  Granted, likely some context would be needed to provide the English translation I give, but it's not wrong, just using implied context.  Again, this is intentional.

Also most of these are in my half of things (The sample phrases) however in case Povomum missed these in the mix, these are related to his side of things, as they are in the actual words, not the samples.

And speaking of things for Povomum, I notice last week it tripped up and repeated Kaltxì from the beginning, then txantsan, and now it's a day behind the original order.  Is it going to stay like that at this point?  I like having the dates in my spreadsheet correct so if so I'll just bump them forward a day starting with #351.

(Also, I approve of #356 and will have an appropriate sample.  Actually I'd love to see more contextually interesting words, such as, for example, yawne, yawntu, or tìyawn for Feb 14th.)
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Puvomun

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on March 16, 2012, 05:42:33 PM
And speaking of things for Povomum, I notice last week it tripped up and repeated Kaltxì from the beginning, then txantsan, and now it's a day behind the original order.  Is it going to stay like that at this point?  I like having the dates in my spreadsheet correct so if so I'll just bump them forward a day starting with #351.

(Also, I approve of #356 and will have an appropriate sample.  Actually I'd love to see more contextually interesting words, such as, for example, yawne, yawntu, or tìyawn for Feb 14th.)

I don't have a clue why suddenly the program failed and kicked the counter back to 1. I corrected it, but somehow the counter was off by 1. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I don't have dates connected to the words, at this moment, they just go out on number. I jump through the dictionary, pick a word that's not used yet, and put that in. Adding dates to the file would perhaps require a rework of the code that generates the new word (not sure, would have to check). Maybe I can do that. (Not so much a matter of "if", but "when"...)

Ngopyu ayvurä.

omängum fra'uti

Not really an inconvenience to me...  It just means I'm an extra day ahead now.

And the date thing isn't too big a concern for me, just for days of significance I like to put in something special if I can.

Puvomun

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on March 17, 2012, 03:01:40 AM
Not really an inconvenience to me...  It just means I'm an extra day ahead now.

And the date thing isn't too big a concern for me, just for days of significance I like to put in something special if I can.

Tslam oe. I'll see if I can keep an eye on that, it's a nice idea. Maybe we can set up a list of those days and when they happen. (I am amazingly bad at these things, I even tend to forget my own birthday.)

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Puvomun

DAMN! Tirea caught a mistake in today's word. I had noted fkxake as a noun and it's a verb, so the sentences are wrong.
Do you think there's still a way to fix that for visitors to the site?

I'm so sorry!!

/edit/  Tirea suggests this as a quick change:
Lu oeru fkxake taweyka hì'angìl frolìp oeti. -->
Oe fkxake taweyka hì'angìl frolìp oeti.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

omängum fra'uti

My fault I should have double checked on the word and/or known better.  (It seemed odd to me having to say it that way, but I didn't stop to ask why.)

Already made that change in my spreadsheet when I saw you mention it first, so it should be picked up next time there's an update.

Puvomun

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on March 21, 2012, 02:32:31 AM
My fault I should have double checked on the word and/or known better.  (It seemed odd to me having to say it that way, but I didn't stop to ask why.)

Already made that change in my spreadsheet when I saw you mention it first, so it should be picked up next time there's an update.

Fabulous, irayo si ngaru! I'll pay more attention too.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Puvomun

Yesterday the 366th Na'vi word of the day tweet went out. It was 'year'. We did a year's worth. Hooray, seykxel sì nitram! :D

Ngopyu ayvurä.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Puvomun on March 27, 2012, 07:11:47 AM
Yesterday the 366th Na'vi word of the day tweet went out. It was 'year'. We did a year's worth. Hooray, seykxel sì nitram! :D

Leap year's worth ;D

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Puvomun

Word list is expanded, 445 words in there, the last bunch all come from the latest entries on naviteri.org :D
Find it here.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Tsmuktengan

Quote from: Puvomun on April 08, 2012, 11:37:54 AM
Word list is expanded, 445 words in there, the last bunch all come from the latest entries on naviteri.org :D
Find it here.

This starts to be quite a lot!  :)

Puvomun

Word list is expanded once again, over 500 words in there now. The latest entries are, once again, from naviteri.org, as posted yesterday. :D

Rutxe, rivun aylì'u amip fìtsenge.

Ngopyu ayvurä.