@navi_wotd. Na'vi word of the day on Twitter.

Started by Puvomun, March 27, 2011, 10:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puvomun

And more new words from the latest Naviteri post.
Attention - new location for the file: it is at http://kelutral.dyndns.org/download/navi_wotd.csv
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Palulukan Maktoyu

Seems the WOTD website has broken UTF er sumptin as today all the ì and ä are showing as a <?> like shape
just thought i'd mention =)
Fkol syaw oeru Palulukan Maktoyu Ta'lengean

Twitter: https://twitter.com/navi_wotd

Yawne Zize’ite

Quote from: Palulukan Maktoyu Ta'lengean on July 06, 2012, 07:03:26 PM
Seems the WOTD website has broken UTF er sumptin as today all the ì and ä are showing as a <?> like shape
It was saved in Windows-1252 (or Latin-1, though that's far less likely) by mistake(?), with Windows newlines.

Puvomun

Quote from: Yawne Zize'ite on July 06, 2012, 07:47:45 PM
Quote from: Palulukan Maktoyu Ta'lengean on July 06, 2012, 07:03:26 PM
It was saved in Windows-1252 (or Latin-1, though that's far less likely) by mistake(?), with Windows newlines.
Ouch - thanks for letting me know! I usually edit this file under Linux. Another reason to not trust ms windows, clearly.
The downloadable file has been updated, and the site will fix itself at the next update.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Puvomun

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Tirea Aean

You made a dyndns? Y u no use your usual domain? Peu len?

Edit: sorry for offtopic. if the answer is long, send me a messge. :)

omängum fra'uti

That's just the source file for future words. Most people wouldn't care about that one.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Puvomun

Hooray. Today the 500th Na'vi wotd tweet went out!

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Talis

Kaltxì!
First of all thanks for these tweets they're a great thing!  :)
Also the audio-file is also a good thing, especially to get the pronunciation but mostly it's a long time to load the file, that's why I'm asking:
Is it possible to add the IPA to the tweet?
Would be an even greater thing then! :)
Eywa ngahu
Talis

Vawmataw

Somebody don't know the IPA or just a little bit. Maybe we can add the IPA and simplified pronunciation.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Puvomun

Quote from: Talis on August 28, 2012, 08:08:33 AM
Kaltxì!
First of all thanks for these tweets they're a great thing!  :)
Also the audio-file is also a good thing, especially to get the pronunciation but mostly it's a long time to load the file, that's why I'm asking:
Is it possible to add the IPA to the tweet?
Would be an even greater thing then! :)
Eywa ngahu
Talis

I have not looked into that and I don't know if it is even feasible:

1. IPA has some weird characters in it which might not translate well on all systems

2. The max length of a tweet is 140 characters, which is already used up by the word, the translation, the na'vi wotd #hashtag and the explanation, so adding IPA (if point 1 were no issue) would make the tweet too long in many cases. I prefer a clear explanation to one that is not too clear which also sports IPA.

3. I have no idea how IPA would look on the website, and I have too little time at the moment to figure that out.

If you think that loading the audio file takes long, you must have a very slow connect (do you listen on your phone over 3G or so?) Average file size is around 175KB which is not bad for a spoken piece of text in 2 languages.

Quote from: Na'vi a Kepekmì on August 28, 2012, 08:20:19 AM
Somebody don't know the IPA or just a little bit. Maybe we can add the IPA and simplified pronunciation.

As I said, IPA is not going to happen, at least not soon. And a "simplified pronunciation" does not exist as far as I know. If there would be and that would be added as well, then there had to be 2 tweets per day, 2 audio files, and 2 website pages, 1 for each version.
It's Na'vi, not Chinese. (Chinese has an official and a simplified version of the language.)

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Talis

ok, understandable reasons ;)

yes, just getting them on phone, well although it work to load the file, just seeing the IPA or a simple form of stress-marker would be faster and even in a louder environment or without speakers a concept which works.

hm maybe just with an _ in the sillable where the stress is?

Irtaviš Ačankif

I think we should just put stress markers and syllable dividers for pronunciation. Na'vi orthography is extremely regular - in fact, it is much clearer and unambiguous than using things like "ah" and "ee" if we add stress and syllabification stuff.
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

Puvomun

Quote from: Talis on August 28, 2012, 09:11:39 AM
1 * yes, just getting them on phone, well although it work to load the file, just seeing the IPA or a simple form of stress-marker would be faster and even in a louder environment or without speakers a concept which works.

2 * hm maybe just with an _ in the sillable where the stress is?

1 * Which kind of telephone do you have? There are LN apps for Android and Iphone, which shows the IPA. Just an idea.

2 * And add a note to each tweet that the _ marks the stress? Would make the tweet too long. Remember, 140 characters is not very much, and I get several new followers every week, they should not be confused by special signs in a word.

_kame
_pa'li
kel_ku
vo_spxìay

Doesn't make it much clearer, does it? (Of course it does to you as you suggested it.)

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Talis

1. iPhone; and yes ther is, but first starting the app, searching the word would take time (I just tried to make it as easy as possible and that would be directly in the tweet) ;)

2. ok, yea ok, it's not possible, hm, sad, so I have to look up the pronunciation - damn  ;D
yes, I understand the _ but most of the others won't, accepted ;)

thanks anyway for reflecting with me (and the tweets of cause) :)

Puvomun

Quote from: Talis on August 29, 2012, 04:10:22 AM
thanks anyway for reflecting with me (and the tweets of cause) :)

Nìprrte', ma 'eylan. :)

Ngopyu ayvurä.

omängum fra'uti

Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Puvomun

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on September 12, 2012, 03:21:38 AM
Lam fwa "http://naviwotd.nlpagan.net/indexjs.php" ke lolatem trram.

Peu? Ke tslam oe. Sìlpey oe tsnì krr lu oeru fìtxon. Oel tsole'a "processing log"it ulte ke lamu ayngäzìk tsa'ur...

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Puvomun

Looks like there was some hiccup in the FTP then, 2 days ago. Yesterday it updated just fine, and the site shows everything.
Connected to ftp.nlpagan.net.
220 ProFTPD FTP Server ready.
331 Password required for [email protected].
230 User [email protected] logged in.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
200 Type set to I
250 CWD command successful
Passive mode on.
local: navi_wotd.css remote: navi_wotd.css
227 Entering Passive Mode (141,255,181,9,176,45).
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for navi_wotd.css
226 Transfer complete.
146 bytes sent in 0.00 secs (445.6 kB/s)
local: navi_wotd.txt remote: navi_wotd.txt
227 Entering Passive Mode (141,255,181,9,176,46).
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for navi_wotd.txt
226 Transfer complete.
61087 bytes sent in 0.08 secs (719.2 kB/s)
221 Goodbye.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Puvomun

Ngopyu ayvurä.