@navi_wotd. Na'vi word of the day on Twitter.

Started by Puvomun, March 27, 2011, 10:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tswusayona Tsamsiyu

Quote from: Puvomun on May 02, 2011, 07:52:30 AM
Quote from: Tswusayona Tsamsiyu on May 02, 2011, 07:10:01 AM
I have a question: did you include all words of the language there or just words for beginners?
I have not specifically looked at all the words. The list has words of all levels, also for example "kxamtrrmaw - n. after noon (moments of the day)" is in it. I have tried to put a few groups of words together, like the base numbers, and there is a group with ordinals and one with colours. I hope this answers your question. There should be something in it for everyone, except probably the near native speakers.
well it's just that I already know many words so if it just shows part of the vocabulary or the beginner vocabulary then I unfotunately won't really need it.
Nivume Na'vit, fpivìl nìNa'vi, kivame na Na'vi.....
oer fko syaw tswusayona tsamsiyu

Puvomun

Quote from: Tswusayona Tsamsiyu on May 02, 2011, 12:01:43 PM
well it's just that I already know many words so if it just shows part of the vocabulary or the beginner vocabulary then I unfotunately won't really need it.

:)
It started with only 1 word. Every day another word is added. My list, for now, contains 180 words. Not that this is the end, but I have a supply of words for half a year now. It takes me about half an hour to add another 6 months worth of words. I know your knowledge of Na'vi is quite extensive, so indeed, there will hardly be a new word on @navi_wotd for you. Ngaytxoa, nìngay.

I will add more words when I have "only" a month more on the shelf, by that time I hope karyu Pawl and the LEP have come up with a bunch of new, interesting words. :)
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Tswusayona Tsamsiyu

well ok then. anyway it may help others (who are beginners) who happen to see it. ;)
Nivume Na'vit, fpivìl nìNa'vi, kivame na Na'vi.....
oer fko syaw tswusayona tsamsiyu

omängum fra'uti

It looks like something broke with http://naviwotd.nlpagan.net/indexjs.php - the table is missing values for 2 of the columns.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Puvomun

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on May 03, 2011, 03:10:49 AM
It looks like something broke with http://naviwotd.nlpagan.net/indexjs.php - the table is missing values for 2 of the columns.
Crap. So are the 2 in index.php. ARGH! Thanks for shouting! Will fix!

edit: for some reason the file I get from Google is not tab separated anymore. That is what causes the problem. :(

edit2: edited the transcription file. By hand. Far from fun, but at least that part is in order again.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

omängum fra'uti

The first 4 WOTDs now have recordings to go with them, for anyone who wants to go back and review them.  (Might want to post that to the twitter feed as well?)

Puvomun

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on May 04, 2011, 01:47:55 AM
The first 4 WOTDs now have recordings to go with them, for anyone who wants to go back and review them.  (Might want to post that to the twitter feed as well?)
Oh, fabulous! Yes, good idea to put that on the feed, so the people know.
Great job, thank you!

Ngopyu ayvurä.

omängum fra'uti

Just a little teaser about a project I've been working on in my spare time for the past week, using the word of the day feed.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on May 07, 2011, 03:34:31 AM
Just a little teaser about a project I've been working on in my spare time for the past week, using the word of the day feed.
Really cool. Still mad I can't have a smart-phone though (can't afford data plan). Is the Android LN app going to be similar to the iOS version?

This also explains why your feed was over on appspot...
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

omängum fra'uti

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on May 07, 2011, 11:06:19 AM
Really cool. Still mad I can't have a smart-phone though (can't afford data plan). Is the Android LN app going to be similar to the iOS version?

It's already mostly the same, aside from a few bugs that I need to work out (Which have been a pain and why I've been procrastinating on it).  This will be something the iOS version doesn't do.  And yes, that is exactly why it's on appspot, that is to serve as a host to do push notifications to Android phones, a facility which apparently worked perfectly today as by the time I woke up (Pacific time) my phone was already displaying the new word....

In all it's typotastic glory.
@Puvomun Today's word is missing the initial glottal stop. I've corrected it in the data used by the wotd banner, but it would probably be good to fix it in your table.  I had noticed it before but figured it was an error importing it into a spreadsheet (As spreadsheets love to strip the first ' for some reason).  It's also potentially present in #45 'em, #85 'evi, #134 (Which is a repeat).  And on the matter of mistakes, #185 doesn't follow the "normal" formatting (This appears to be an error in Taronyu's dictionary, but it should be n.).

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on May 07, 2011, 11:31:54 AM
Quote from: Swoka Ikran on May 07, 2011, 11:06:19 AM

This will be something the iOS version doesn't do. 
That stinks. I'm more likely to get an iPod than a smart phone in the near future too... :( :( And AFAIK, there's no Android-based music players aside from tablets...

And yes, that is exactly why it's on appspot, that is to serve as a host to do push notifications to Android phones, a facility which apparently worked perfectly today as by the time I woke up (Pacific time) my phone was already displaying the new word....
Last I was told (Weds.), the word updates around 10:45a EDT (16:45 GMT+1), so your app probably updated just before the 8:00a hour.

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

omängum fra'uti

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on May 07, 2011, 12:08:30 PM
That stinks. I'm more likely to get an iPod than a smart phone in the near future too... :( :( And AFAIK, there's no Android-based music players aside from tablets...
There is a bit of a lacking yes, but Philips GoGear Connect is coming in September allegedly, if it doesn't turn out to be vaporware.

Last I was told (Weds.), the word updates around 10:45a EDT (16:45 GMT+1), so your app probably updated just before the 8:00a hour.
According to the twitter feed, it came at 14:42:05 +0000, and according to app engine logs, it noticed at 15:03:07 +0000. (For some reason the RSS feed, which was the easiest to do a quick check on, doesn't get updates real time, perhaps eventually I should rewrite it to use the twitter API instead, or just talk to Puvomum about a direct notification of an update.)  Since it's a real time push, a couple seconds later my phone was happily sporting the new word.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on May 07, 2011, 12:20:53 PM
There is a bit of a lacking yes, but Philips GoGear Connect is coming in September allegedly, if it doesn't turn out to be vaporware.
Will have to watch for that. Thanks :) It'll suck if it does turn out to be vaporware though...

According to the twitter feed, it came at 14:42:05 +0000, and according to app engine logs, it noticed at 15:03:07 +0000. (For some reason the RSS feed, which was the easiest to do a quick check on, doesn't get updates real time,
The RSS is indeed delayed. Not really the best option in the world for something like this.

perhaps eventually I should rewrite it to use the twitter API instead
The API feed is XML just like the RSS. I'm not sure what your feed program is written in, but PHP can pull the word from the API with 9 lines of code. Breaking it into URL and word was done with explode() using http:// as the delimiter.

The API interface function I was using until I switched to your feed is free on About.com.

omängum fra'uti

App engine is python or java.  But more to the point, it's shared and there's already tons of twitter access apps, and twitter starts refusing requests if too many come from one location.  Just to get it to serve up the rss feed, I had to bounce the access through my personal web server.  That's in PHP, so I could just change what that does easily enough.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on May 07, 2011, 01:06:28 PM
App engine is python or java.  But more to the point, it's shared and there's already tons of twitter access apps, and twitter starts refusing requests if too many come from one location. Just to get it to serve up the rss feed, I had to bounce the access through my personal web server.
That's annoying. Does the script have to be on appspot for an Android app to read it? (I'd imagine no, seeing it seems to be just a python/java web server, but with no Android experience...)

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on May 07, 2011, 01:06:28 PM
That's in PHP, so I could just change what that does easily enough.
If you're curious about what I used for the API:

Puvomun

@Puvomun Today's word is missing the initial glottal stop. I've corrected it in the data used by the wotd banner, but it would probably be good to fix it in your table.  I had noticed it before but figured it was an error importing it into a spreadsheet (As spreadsheets love to strip the first ' for some reason).  It's also potentially present in #45 'em, #85 'evi, #134 (Which is a repeat).  And on the matter of mistakes, #185 doesn't follow the "normal" formatting (This appears to be an error in Taronyu's dictionary, but it should be n.).
Thanks for letting me know. I will look at it as soon as I can (have over 200 mails to go through after a weekend away...  :o )

Right, I fixed the mistakes in the file. And yes, 'om is a double, alas. I had the idea to put all the known colours in a set, and 'om is a colour too. Too bad that that already got posted, but I doubt someone will make a big fuss over that. Posting all colours in a row and leaving one out would be stranger, kefyak?

Ngopyu ayvurä.

omängum fra'uti

FYI - Upcoming word #55 is wrong; the form you have is the noun form, but the definition is for the verb form.

Puvomun

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on May 16, 2011, 12:21:58 PM
FYI - Upcoming word #55 is wrong; the form you have is the noun form, but the definition is for the verb form.
Oy, good catch, thanks!! Changed the file, and it is also on http://nwyfre.homelinux.net/download/navi_wotd.csv if you need it. I put the noun definition in. I hope this does not mess up your MP3. If it does, let me know and I'll change the file to the verb.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

omängum fra'uti

Either was fine, I just wanted to know which to do.  If I'd already recorded it, I would have specified my preference. :)

Another one...  #63 nìsyayvi is an adverb, not an adjective.

Puvomun

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on May 17, 2011, 12:06:53 AM
Either was fine, I just wanted to know which to do.  If I'd already recorded it, I would have specified my preference. :)

Another one...  #63 nìsyayvi is an adverb, not an adjective.

Damn. Good to have someone double check! I'll fix this one when I get home.
I wonder how that went wrong, I copy/paste stuff from the dictionary usually.

Ngopyu ayvurä.