@navi_wotd. Na'vi word of the day on Twitter.

Started by Puvomun, March 27, 2011, 10:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palulukan Maktoyu

Tag worked awesome!
only thing i just found out the hardway is itunes renames the files upon importing if you have itunes manage your library
which tbh isn't a bad thing for a personal collection but figured i'd mention it for those that use itunes
=)
Fkol syaw oeru Palulukan Maktoyu Ta'lengean

Twitter: https://twitter.com/navi_wotd

Palulukan Maktoyu

Oh just a noted follow up that i forgot to mention
Genre is Education
I don'[t know if mp3 tags support "Part of a compilation" feature that is in itunes
but for those that use itunes if you do that it will also help keep them all together for those that do have it manage your media library folder

omängum fra'uti

Apparently iTunes "Part of a compilation" is represented as the tag "TCMP" with a value of 1. Which is only really used by iTunes. Not sure I see the point of it though? I don't use iTunes but it looks like it just names the folder it sorts it into as "Compilation" rather than the tagged artist, for when there are several artists. Not sure what the point is if it's always the same though?

Either way though I can certainly set that flag in the files... I think...

As far as education genre, easily done.

Edit: Modified the tagging scheme for all past and future files, and re-uploaded... again...
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Palulukan Maktoyu

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on November 14, 2012, 06:46:22 PM
Apparently iTunes "Part of a compilation" is represented as the tag "TCMP" with a value of 1. Which is only really used by iTunes. Not sure I see the point of it though? I don't use iTunes but it looks like it just names the folder it sorts it into as "Compilation" rather than the tagged artist, for when there are several artists. Not sure what the point is if it's always the same though?

Either way though I can certainly set that flag in the files... I think...

As far as education genre, easily done.

Edit: Modified the tagging scheme for all past and future files, and re-uploaded... again...
YOU ARE ALL AWESOME!

Puvomun

Okay then. New files downloaded, new ZIP-file created and the script should now add each new MP3 to it as it's downloaded for the new word.
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Puvomun

Righty, this is indeed nice: the new MP3 of today is in the zipfile. Handsfree!

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Palulukan Maktoyu

Oh yea, top marks all round. it's working quite the treat =)

Yawne Zize’ite

Today's word is also missing its apostrophe: feʼran. So whatever the problem was on the 14th, it's still around.

Palulukan Maktoyu

hrh yup, small round about it on facebook earlier. it's being looked into with great interest  :-[

omängum fra'uti

Pxasìk, I normally try to catch these while I record the sample, but for newer words I don't always notice it if I don't look it up to double check.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Puvomun

Interesting. I found that I copied those off the na'viteri posts. Maybe something went wrong in that.
I corrected the main file so the web will show the right version after the new wotd. Sorry, I don't know what went wrong. Copying should be copying.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Yawne Zize’ite

Naʼviteri uses U+2019 right single quote for ʼ. If your system uses ASCII, it might cope by stripping a character with such a high code point.

Just guessing.

Puvomun

Quote from: Yawne Zize'ite on November 19, 2012, 12:18:53 AM
Naʼviteri uses U+2019 right single quote for ʼ. If your system uses ASCII, it might cope by stripping a character with such a high code point.
That might indeed account for the problem. Before those I always took the words from the dictionary. I'll keep an eye on that!

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Irtaviš Ačankif

Quote from: Yawne Zize'ite on November 19, 2012, 12:18:53 AM

Just guessing.
Also U+2019 is also used for the Chinese full-width ending quote, which makes your word "Na'viteri" look like "Na'  viteri" on any system with Chinese fonts set as Unicode fallback (like mine). I guess we should do a find-and-replace in the dictionary and replace it with plain '?
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

Tirea Aean

I always have and always will endorse and fight for the use of ' (the key on the en_US standard QWERTY keyboard which is next to Enter) on all communications media. It just seems that Wordpress(eg naviteri.org) has a fun habit of making them into strange apostrophes. And the Dictionary LaTeX font is just...LaTeXy.

Irtaviš Ačankif

I am also strongly in defense of not using Wordpress for larger blogs. Write your own CMS or use a really low-level one. I can't describe the situation on my server right now - a friend's tiny Wordpress site uses 40% of the RAM with it's constant MySQL stuff while my much bigger custom-written site, written in supposedly resource hogging plain CGI and Racket (a kind of Lisp) uses almost none.

Plumps

Quote from: Tirea Aean on November 19, 2012, 08:42:49 PM
I always have and always will endorse and fight for the use of ' (the key on the en_US standard QWERTY keyboard which is next to Enter) on all communications media. It just seems that Wordpress(eg naviteri.org) has a fun habit of making them into strange apostrophes. And the Dictionary LaTeX font is just...LaTeXy.

It's the same thing ;) The one you mean is the 'neutral' or typewriter form, the one wordpress (and many other word processing programmes) use is the typographic apostrophe ... it's just a matter of style and looks. Using a typeset font like Georgia it would look hidious to use the neutral form ... 'efumì oeyä vs. 'efumì oeyä ? ... the second has my vote ;)
See for the difference here.

Yawne Zize’ite

Quote from: Tirea Aean on November 19, 2012, 08:42:49 PM

As I'm sure you've noticed, I endorse ʼ (U+02BC modifier letter apostrophe) because it's semantically correct (it's a letter, not a punctuation mark, and software will treat it like a letter), because its semantic correctness means it can be used freely in places punctuation marks are rejected (such as domain names), and because it will always display the correct shape and never be autocorrected to ' U+2018 left single quotation mark.

There are places where it doesn't work, though; anything that only takes plain ASCII (must use ') and many fonts, for example Papyrus, don't have any glyph mapped to U+02BC but do have  a glyph for U+2019. And it's a pain to search for anything other than '. TeX, due to its great age, will automatically map ' to something that looks like ' (as other very old bitmap fonts do, to look better when there was no ').

Any modern word processing program, and apparently Wordpress, will automatically correct all instances of ', a crude hack created by shortage of keys on a typewriter, to the typographically correct ' or '. ' is never typographically and semantically correct except in computer source code.

Tirea Aean, what do you think of Ꞌꞌ U+A78B,C saltillo? The capital form is rare, but the lower-case form is used by a lot of orthographies that developed during the typewriter era in Mexico for the glottal stop. I thought there was a preference for the curved shape of ʼ, but ꞌ has the same semantics, can be used in domain names, etc. I created a version of the kxwerty keyboard to type ʼ but it's trivial to map the apostrophe key to whatever looks best.

Irtaviš Ačankif

As I said before, U+02BC looks extremely ugly on Chinese systems. It looks like "'   " with a huge space after it.

I've always thought of whether the Hawaiian ʻokina, U+02BB, as a good way to represent the glottal stop, especially since other languages use this. It also looks quite nice.

Puvomun

Quote from: Yawne Zize'ite on November 20, 2012, 09:08:44 AM
Tirea Aean, what do you think of Ꞌꞌ U+A78B,C saltillo?

I think this has potential. It would make words like NaU+A78Bvi and lìU+A78Bfya! :D

Ngopyu ayvurä.