@navi_wotd. Na'vi word of the day on Twitter.

Started by Puvomun, March 27, 2011, 10:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yawne Zize’ite

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on November 20, 2012, 09:41:56 AM
As I said before, U+02BC looks extremely ugly on Chinese systems. It looks like "'   " with a huge space after it.

I've always thought of whether the Hawaiian ʻokina, U+02BB, as a good way to represent the glottal stop, especially since other languages use this. It also looks quite nice.

What font do you use as your default? I tested U+2019 ' and U+02BC ʼ in the fonts SimSun and Microsoft YaHei on my English-language system. U+2019 had the space but U+02BC did not, because U+02BC wasn't in the Chinese fonts and my word processor fell back to Times New Roman and Arial.
U+20BB isn't the usual shape. lìʻfya leNaʻvi? lìꞌfya leNaꞌvi? LÌꞋFYA LENAꞋVI? ???

Irtaviš Ačankif

Hmm. Then maybe it isn't a Chinese font issue. Anyway I'm using a huge mess of fallback fonts on my Linux system, so maybe that's the issue. Interestingly, I cannot reproduce the issue in a word processor, but it does happen in the browser.
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

Yawne Zize’ite

No, I think it's a real issue with Chinese fonts, because Microsoft's default Chinese fonts do put a huge space after U+2019 ', just the size of space that would take up the rest of a character-sized block. Do you run into a font issue when you visit naviteri.org?

(Mods, this discussion of apostrophes is worth a spinoff thread by now.)

Irtaviš Ačankif

" the size of space that would take up the rest of a character-sized block" is very huge and ugly for English. And no, I don't see this effect on serif fonts, only Tahoma used on LN. Then again, the font set to Tahoma in LibreOffice does not reproduce this. I guess Chromium is falsely assuming Tahoma doesn't have the glyph and using a really ugly fallback?

Yawne Zize’ite

In my theme, the forum uses Verdana, which doesn't have U+02BC ʼ and falls back to my default Western sans-serif font, Calibri. If I change my browser to default to a Western sans-serif font that doesn't have the character, it falls back to my serif font which does (this may be Firefox-specific behavior). If neither of my Western fonts have the character, it falls back to Times New Roman.

Srake nga tsun ivinan fìpamrelit leNaʼvi a fa snapamrelvi alu "Tahoma" nìltsan?

Irtaviš Ačankif

Oh lol. Yeah, Verdana for sure. I always confuse Tahoma and Verdana.

Tahoma is cool with LIʼFYA LENAʼVI

Palulukan Maktoyu

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( pxesrr "Ngaytxoa. Ke lu aylì'u..." sì kea pam aylì'u   :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Fkol syaw oeru Palulukan Maktoyu Ta'lengean

Twitter: https://twitter.com/navi_wotd

omängum fra'uti

Hìtxoa, lalmu oeru säspxin, ha ke tsun oe pivlltxe nìltsan. Tivìng nari sì mikyun ye'rìn.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Palulukan Maktoyu

Nìprrte' ma tsmukan. Ngaru sìltsana fpomtokx oe rangal. Eywa ngahu.

Puvomun

Sung aylì'ut nì'ul nemfa pongu aylì'uyä.
Aynga tsun rivun tsa'ut ro "http://kelutral.dyndns.org/download/navi_wotd.csv"
Hayalovay!
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Plumps

Thanks so much. This is so helpful! Plus, with new words coming out this way, it'll be a long time until we'll be out of words ;D

Nìvingkap:

Quote from: Puvomun on December 02, 2012, 04:07:17 AM
Sung aylì'ut nì'ul nemfa sna'o aylì'uä.
;) pongu is only for people
The genitive for words in -o and -u is just ä.

Puvomun

Quote from: Plumps on December 02, 2012, 07:47:35 AM
Thanks so much. This is so helpful! Plus, with new words coming out this way, it'll be a long time until we'll be out of words ;D
I do need to think of a better way to keep track of the words I have already used. With over 600 words in the list, checking if one was already used gets more tedious.

Quote from: Plumps on December 02, 2012, 07:47:35 AM
Nìvingkap:[/size][/font]
Quote from: Puvomun on December 02, 2012, 04:07:17 AM
Sung aylì'ut nì'ul nemfa sna'o aylì'uä.
;) pongu is only for people
The genitive for words in -o and -u is just ä.

Thank you. Sadly my Na'vi is getting rusty with all other stuff that's going...

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Puvomun

Quote from: Puvomun on December 02, 2012, 11:59:39 AM
I do need to think of a better way to keep track of the words I have already used. With over 600 words in the list, checking if one was already used gets more tedious.

Is there a way to get a dump of the database or so? I could rig up something with that quite easily, I think. Would only work 100% if there is a refresh once in a while of course, but still.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Plumps

Ulte nìmun lu tìngäzìk a hu pamrelvi alu tìftang a 'ìp

And again the problem with the tìftang that disappears ... *veo => ve'o

Palulukan Maktoyu

website down 6:08am GMT , can't establish connection , was working fine earlier not sure why can't reach it yet
just figured i'd mention
:'(

ok it's back but sumptin wrong

Aylì'u Na'viyä  ?

Puvomun

Quote from: Palulukan Maktoyu Ta'lengean on December 04, 2012, 12:08:31 AM
website down 6:08am GMT , can't establish connection , was working fine earlier not sure why can't reach it yet
just figured i'd mention
:'(

ok it's back but sumptin wrong

Aylì'u Na'viyä  ?

I know. I noticed it when I got up, it died at 11pm GMT+1 (I could see that because my PC could not get mail from it). The entire domain was down. I mailed the hosting site to do something, soon after it was working again. I don't like the fact that they have more problems since they merged with another company. :(

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Palulukan Maktoyu

Looks like the encoding is off too as some items are correct but ä seems to be missing as if no longer utf-8

Yawne Zize’ite

U+00E4 became ä? U+00E4 = UTF-8 11000011 10100100 = C3 A4 = ä in Latin-1 and Windows-1252, so to confirm the obvious it's one of those two. Which of them should be immaterial, since none of the relevant codepoints for Naʼvi would come out differently if you use U+0027 '.

It's just possible the restoration process somehow stripped the initial Byte Order Mark, and files with no BOM get misinterpreted by Windows as not-Unicode. When I saved the page source to my computer and opened it with Notepad++, it identified the file as UTF-8 without the BOM; after adding the BOM Windows displayed ä and ì without complaint.

Puvomun

When I look at the website (I assume that is what you all are talking about), there is indeed one small problem.

QuoteNgaytxoa. Ke lu aylì'u...

This is a hardcoded part in the code that is shown when there is no sentence available. I don't know why this suddenly shows so funnily. I'll fix it, but I am not sure yet when. As soon as possible is my best guess.
The rest of the Na'vi looks normal to me. If anyone else sees more strange things, do let me know so I can look at that as well.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Palulukan Maktoyu

576: ìpxa :    ÃŒpxa tsawl soli ka fya'o a ìlä tsa'u moe nolew hivum.

498-506, 543, 547-548, 550-552, 554-561 have "Â" in the mp3 links example: "nìso'ha - adv. enthusiastically " the word itself is correct it seems that randomly across the entire list it's inserting that "Â"  at the end of specific words
not sure why but i suspect something server side
i stopped looking below 498 when i realised it's not a letter in the actual words it's almost like a formatting thing