Famrel - the Alternative to 'Eoio!

Started by Irtaviš Ačankif, February 12, 2012, 09:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on February 15, 2012, 07:56:51 PM
Rooting on Android phones is pretty safe though since it uses Linux. After rooting you simply login as the normal user and then you are no longer rooted but you have the fonts. Or you can plug it in, chroot, and copy the files in. Or are you unfamiliar with Unix? Unfamiliar with Unix = destroy tablet on rooting  ;D

I am familiar with Unix/Linux as well as the adb somewhat. I have an Android development environment set up on both my (Linux) machines.

Maybe I can just use adb to move files over usb debug? I  know exactly where the .otf files need to go.

EDIT: ninjad, great minds think alike.

Irtaviš Ačankif

Yeah. Or if you want the hackish way, chroot into the device and cp it in  ;) That requires a Unix-like system on your computer though.
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

Tirea Aean

EXECUTE= adb shell ls -l -a "/system/fonts"
EXECUTE= adb shell ls -l -a "/system"
PARENT /system
BASENAME fonts
<snip>
/home/coreys1/src/aafm/src/Eoio.otf is a file
Copying /home/coreys1/src/aafm/src/Eoio.otf => /system/fonts
EXECUTE= adb push "/home/coreys1/src/aafm/src/Eoio.otf" "/system/fonts"
failed to copy '/home/coreys1/src/aafm/src/Eoio.otf' to '/system/fonts/Eoio.otf': Read-only file system

Tirea Aean

Irtaviš Ačankif

Updated font and depurplefied table in first post! Tìng nari!  ;)

Key'ìl Nekxetse

fì'u daNcaN leiu naG.
Gedit is compatible, but sadly C code isn't ;D:
Key'ìl Nekxetse on "The Revolutionists"
~$ life --help
The program life received signal SIGSEV. Core dumped.

'Oma Tirea

Tewti!  We have initial w and numbers now :D

If you're up for one more challenge: specialized ?, !, quotation marks ("), and other punctuation that seems useful.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Prrton

seYqeL sì niTraM

nìsuG,peluN fìdaN CraNteN Fwa muwìNdu fa Cdo fìkiGä futa fìFnepaMreLFya ke lu 'eoio.fa Fwa tìG nari nì'aW caW lu laW nìwoD,keFyaK

eejmensenikbenhet

I got a dip pen and a pot of black ink lying around somewhere, maybe I should write/draw a sort of Rosette stone. (Latin, 'Eoio and Famrel letters.)
Does anyone know a nice text to write? 8)

Irtaviš Ačankif

Maybe we can translate the actual Rosetta Stone text?

eejmensenikbenhet

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on March 03, 2012, 08:10:34 AM
Maybe we can translate the actual Rosetta Stone text?
I think that would be a little too overenthusiastic, and besides that: probably impossible. :P
I'd say: good luck if you want to translate

Irtaviš Ačankif

I have a new version of Famrel for small sizes (like book text sizes) that is more suitable for pencil/typewriter/computer than a brush. http://is.gd/O4FCOi

eejmensenikbenhet

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on March 07, 2012, 04:36:45 AM
I have a new version of Famrel for small sizes (like book text sizes) that is more suitable for pencil/typewriter/computer than a brush. http://is.gd/O4FCOi
It may be easier to write, but I think there are too much stripes to read. I like the round, lively look of the original Famrel more, godd job on this Famrel aWin though!

Made some pictures with my webcam of some test-writing I did. They're in the attachments of this post.

Irtaviš Ačankif

fì'u lu daNcaN nìdaN.
fì'u lu dancan nìdan!
fì'u lu daNcaN nìdaN.

eejmensenikbenhet

As much as I like to read the discussion about writing forms etc., I don't really join the conversation because my knowledge about all this is fairly limited...
However, I started studying the 'Eoio and Famrel (aKì'ong) fonts and currently are trying to achieve some sort of habit of writing it. My hands don't really like the round shapes of Famrel and I start making them straight, which gives it an entire different look...

I will try to draw it in Paint or something and then upload it. (During the learning process I had a lot of help from the 'groups' of letters: bilabial, (labio)dental, velar+glottal, "others".)

Irtaviš Ačankif

Famrel aWin has straight lines  ;)

and btw did you see my handwritten cursive Famrel in the 'Eoio thread? IMO it looks better than the font made by me, who is a total font noobie (Famrel is my first ever font and I used a professional (=hard to use) tool for it!)

eejmensenikbenhet

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on March 11, 2012, 09:12:00 AM
Famrel aWin has straight lines  ;)

and btw did you see my handwritten cursive Famrel in the 'Eoio thread? IMO it looks better than the font made by me, who is a total font noobie (Famrel is my first ever font and I used a professional (=hard to use) tool for it!)
I know, but I like Famrel in straight lines more then Famrel aWin... :P

I have seen it, yes it looks great but much harder to read. :-\

Irtaviš Ačankif

Well, which one is more beautiful  ;D

faYlì'u lu mì befaMreLFya,'eoio,faMreL akì'oG,sì awiN.
Actually the handwritten version of famrel was my original idea, but as I said I make terrible fonts.

eejmensenikbenhet

Well, the first one is really nice, but as I said before, the latter is the most readable...

So, writing Famrel (in the way I think it's easy to write) in MS Paint was a mess, that's why I wrote it by hand and then scanned it. You can find the scan in the attachments.
Writing all letters in straight lines is organised, quick and in my opinion easy to remember.
(There are a few things not written in straight lines (L and W) so there would be no confusion. (L and M, W and Px).)

'Oma Tirea

I now see spelling out the Na'vi alphabet would look like this:

'E'/Tìftang, A, AW, AY, Ä, E, EW, EY, FÄ, HÄ, I, Ì, KEK, KxEKx, LEL, 'LL, MEM, NEN, NgENg, O, PEP, PxEPx, RER, 'RR, SÄ, TET, TSÄ, TxETx, U, VÄ, WÄ, YÄ, ZÄ and additional "letters" FLA, SLA, TSLA
'e'/tìFtaG a aW aY ä e eW eY fä hä i ì keK qeQ leL 9 meM neN geG o peP beB reR 8 sä teT cä deD u vä wä yä zä Fla Sla Cla

Of course alphabetical order could be entirely different for this alphabet :) Anyway, the Frommer-approved alphabet written fa Famrel elegantly illustrates every consonant, vowel, and diphthong, and frankly makes the non-Famrel spelling of the alphabet look more valid.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!