Famrel - the Alternative to 'Eoio!

Started by Irtaviš Ačankif, February 12, 2012, 09:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irtaviš Ačankif

Note to previous users: I've updated the font. Download from the attachment on *this* post.

Well, tired of writing Na'vi with the Latin alphabet? There's the 'Eoio font of course, but it's an alphabet, and alphabets are kinda boring.  ;) I (with help from 'Oma Tirea) have invented a Na'vi reverse abugida, which is basically a cross between an alphabet and a syllabary. Plus to date no language on Earth uses this type of script! (there are abugidas but no reverse ones). With the unimaginative name "Famrel", this script enables you to compactly and beautifully write Na'vi in a totally out-of-earth way! Here's a table of the characters and diacritics (depurplefied and corrected from a table ta 'Oma Tirea):

Basically, each character is a vowel with consonants denoted by diacritics.

Famrel is designed to be quick to write with a brush on any surface, unlike 'Eoio which is designed for inscriptions in stone.

And there's a font for this! Check out the attachment. Actually writing it is kind of complicated though. You'll need to capitalize all syllable-final consonants and all fricatives in consonant clusters, while substituting q for kx, g for ng, d for tx, 8 for rr, 9 for ll, and b for px, and at last remove all spaces after punctuation. Example:

Original sentence: Oel ngati kameie, ma sempul!
Capitalize properly: oeL ngati kameie, ma seMpuL
Substitution: oeL gati kameie, ma seMpuL
Remove punctuation space: oeL gati kameie,ma seMpuL
Rendered with the font: oeL gati kameie,ma seMpuL

Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

Irtaviš Ačankif

To aid in decoding, the first word is keftxo.

Tirea Aean

Poetry by Alyara Arati

A moving expression of what Na'vi has meant to this poet.

http://naviteri.org/2011/12/ulte-yora%E2%80%99tu-leiu-and-the-winner-is/

Interesting script. Hint was a giveaway.

Imo for some reason, Eoio script is easier for me to memorize. Unless you make a chart map for this. Oh and a font. ;D

Alyara Arati

Quote from: Tirea Aean on February 12, 2012, 11:01:36 PM
Poetry by Alyara Arati

A moving expression of what Na'vi has meant to this poet.

http://naviteri.org/2011/12/ulte-yora%E2%80%99tu-leiu-and-the-winner-is/

Interesting script. Hint was a giveaway.

Imo for some reason, Eoio script is easier for me to memorize. Unless you make a chart map for this. Oh and a font. ;D

I wasn't gonna say, but sometimes you just recognize your own name.

Irayo!

Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Irtaviš Ačankif

Quote from: Alyara Arati on February 12, 2012, 11:06:11 PM

Yeah. There shouldn't be a dot in the I graph. The dot makes it ì, so you actually said "ìrayo." Good attempt though! I'll release the font quickly.

Irtaviš Ačankif

The font is in the attachment. It doesn't have numbers or syllable-initial "w" yet. You need to encode your text in the following way:

1. Convert ng->g, kx->q, px->b, tx->d, rr->8, ll->9, ts->c
2. Capitalize all syllable-final consonants
3. Capitalize all fricatives starting a consonant cluster

So the poem's first lines would be:

keFdo 'aRmefu
CgaRmaWväGìK nì'aWtu
aYfaYìvaru
k8 a lì'Fyati
oeL roluN alu na'vi
a tìdeN soli

'Oma Tirea

* downloads and installs *

* Checking out the font... *

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

'Oma Tirea

And I got this.  The key to use is in Parentheses.

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Irtaviš Ačankif

Well, the ts is not supposed to be tiny like that except in consonant clusters   :-\
ceG
(tseng)

and you got rr and ll confused
k8
(krr)
p9de
(plltxe)

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on February 13, 2012, 02:56:06 AM
Well, the ts is not supposed to be tiny like that except in consonant clusters   :-\
ceG
(tseng)

and you got rr and ll confused
k8
(krr)
p9de
(plltxe)

Tse, I did get LL and RR confused.  'Ä'!

I thought something was weird with word-initial Ts.  Looks like another typing mistake...

Have you thought about using the technique of combining consonants, kinda like many South/east Asian languages do for vowels (also for custom/IPA diacritics)?  Your font would go along smoother with those.

Kop, Etrìpa syayvi with the numerals and the w onset :)

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Irtaviš Ačankif

Yeah. However ligatures in FontForge is a tons-of-steps process, and FontForge doesn't obey me sometimes. Bascially, the Ubuntu repo version of FontForge crashes on startup, so I'm using the development version built from source. FF has a whole lot of problems with segfaults, and now it doesn't segfault when it starts up, but it segfaults (i.e. crash with no error and close itself in a split second without saving anything) randomly when I press the ctrl key. Basically, if you try pressing Ctrl+S to save, there is a 50% chance that the whole app would go "poof" and disappear before you even get to press the S after the Ctrl. I need to tediously do File->Save... ;)

Tirea Aean

Whλ does almost every single character look like a backwards lambda with tiny differences? It's making it so hard for me to memorize it D;

Didn't read 'Oma Tirea's note at the top of the image. THAT would explain.

So the VOWEL is the main part of the character, and the CONSONANT is the thing floating on top or whatever?

Interesting.

So reading your sig, I get

L  F+   L  N  V
Ì ' ya   E  A ' I

Kefyak?

eejmensenikbenhet

Ehm, for me the 8's and 9's don't show up... (Well, they do show up, but as 8 and 9, not as Famrel script)

Irtaviš Ačankif

Quote from: Tirea Aean on February 13, 2012, 07:57:29 AM
Whλ does almost every single character look like a backwards lambda with tiny differences? It's making it so hard for me to memorize it D;

So the VOWEL is the main part of the character, and the CONSONANT is the thing floating on top or whatever?

Interesting.

L  F+   L  N  V
Ì ' ya   E  A ' I

Kefyak?
Exactly. Consonants also go float on the bottom if they are syllable-fina. If they are syllable-initial they go on the top.

And regarding 8 and 9, what browser are you using? Internet Explorer and Firefox work for me, but Chrome seemingly not.

eejmensenikbenhet

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on February 13, 2012, 09:49:33 AM
Quote from: Tirea Aean on February 13, 2012, 07:57:29 AM

Interesting.

L  F+   L  N  V
Ì ' ya   E  A ' I

Kefyak?
Exactly. Consonants also go float on the bottom if they are syllable-fina. If they are syllable-initial they go on the top.

And regarding 8 and 9, what browser are you using? Internet Explorer and Firefox work for me, but Chrome seemingly not.
I'm using Chrome... Partially because then the 'Eoio font shows up correctly... -.-

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

This script reminds me of Klingon piqaD script, with some extra lines. It seems very naturalistic, similar to what you would expect from a hunter-gatherer tribe who had an advanced language.

Yo made a comment early on in the thread that this script could be 'written' with a brush. I remember growing up, that whenever they would show a Chinese or Japanese school, the children would be doing calligraphy with ink and brush. Is that still an important school activity today?

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Irtaviš Ačankif

ah no though it is an elective class you can do after ordinary school  ;D and many people are into it (not me)

Writing with a brush does take a LOT of training though. It is extremely hard to write clearly and symmetrically with a brush that changes size depending on how hard you press on it.

Tirea Aean

I wanna insall Eoio as well as this font on my gTab10 but I need to root....Dont feel like rooting. :(

Irtaviš Ačankif

Rooting on Android phones is pretty safe though since it uses Linux. After rooting you simply login as the normal user and then you are no longer rooted but you have the fonts. Or you can plug it in, chroot, and copy the files in. Or are you unfamiliar with Unix? Unfamiliar with Unix = destroy tablet on rooting  ;D

akiwiguy

Should be able to just use the adb shell to copy the fonts over... no root required then.