Pamrelfya a'Eoio

Started by Prrton, September 02, 2010, 08:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prrton

Quote from: Kemaweyan on September 13, 2010, 09:37:54 PM
Well.. Yesterday and today I was working with this font. I've found the way to move the glyphs from pdf to FontForge as vector images, so the font will look the same as in pdf ;) There was some issues with size of characters, but I hope I found the solution. I've tried and I like the result :) So tomorrow I'm going to create all basic glyphs and maybe I'll show those here as "beta version" ;)

Txantsan nì'aw, ma Kemaweyan.

Pereiey oe nìprrte'!

Sìlpey oe tsnì fpomtokxìri kop 'erefu nga set nìltsan nì'ul.

Tìtxusulari lefmetok ngaru livu syayvi aetrìp nì'aw.

Nìmun seiyi irayo!

agent1022

May I also express that even though I am incapable of contributing much to the discussion, I am very enthusiastic about this project and OMG OMG THIS IS WIN TO THE MAX Xp

Okay, enthusiasm vented.

Ngima palulukantsyìp ngim lu

Kemaweyan

Is this size normal? Left - Eoio 96pt, Right - Arial 96pt:

Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Tirea Aean

Sireayä mokri

It depends on whether or not it's going to be convenient to read them here...
When the mirror speaks, the reflection lies.

Prrton

Quote from: Kemaweyan on September 14, 2010, 11:25:49 AM
Is this size normal? Left - Eoio 96pt, Right - Arial 96pt:

Ma Kemaweyan,

I think it looks good. It's definitely very close if not perfect.

I compared it to a few other things at 96 points and if anything, in my opinion, you may want to make it 4 to 7 points smaller (vertically -- but do the scale proportionally so that the appropriate width will also be reduced). The 'Eoio letters definitely don't need to be any larger for 96pt.

Thanks so much!!

Tirea Aean

So how do we do compounds? ie Na'vi, Eywa, futa, Prrton, TireaAean, etc (ok maybe not names... but Na'vi and Eywa compounds)

Prrton

Quote from: Tirea Aean on September 14, 2010, 03:44:41 PM
So how do we do compounds? ie Na'vi, Eywa, futa, Prrton, TireaAean, etc (ok maybe not names... but Na'vi and Eywa compounds)

I need a final list of what's missing:

- Eywa
- Na'vi
- fra-
- kem (action)
- tseng
- tut.-e, -ana
- colors??... ??
- tìng
- tsun
- kame/kameie
- new
- fmi
- zene
- zenke
- sngä'i
- Irayo

What else?

I'll create the glyphs at the different weights and Tsm. Kem can put them in at his leisure (if he's willing to do it).

Please provide final input on "what's missing" ASAP, ma Frapo.

Kì'eyawn

Ma Prrton,

If you feel strongly about the colors... *shrug*  Personally, i don't see myself using them enough to care either way.

If you're going to do tsun, you should do other modals—definitely the obligatory modals zene, zenke, possibly fmi, new, nume...

Might eyktan and tsahìk be important enough to have their own glyphs?  What about tsaheylu and/or tsaheyl si?
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Prrton

Quote from: Kì'eyawn on September 14, 2010, 06:18:59 PM
Ma Prrton,

If you feel strongly about the colors... *shrug*  Personally, i don't see myself using them enough to care either way.

If you're going to do tsun, you should do other modals—definitely the obligatory modals zene, zenke, possibly fmi, new, nume...

Might eyktan and tsahìk be important enough to have their own glyphs?  What about tsaheylu and/or tsaheyl si?

Ma Kì'eyawn,

I added the modals to my list above. I'm not sure that nume would fall into that category. Is "to learn to fly" «nume tswivayon» or «nume fya'oti a twayon». I would only know to do it the second way, in which nume is not a modal. Is there any canonical example of nume as a modal (connected to the 'verb skill' with -iv-)?

I nixed the colors.

You're right that for Na'vi ceremonial purposes, they'd probably have eyktan and tsahìk. I'm not sure about tsaheylu and tsaheyl si. I wonder if WE would write those enough to justify their being in the font, though? It's not hard for me to make them, but Tsm. Kem's opinion about the practicality of including them should also come into play. The method that he puts into place to type (using a keyboard) the tsa- pre-noun, might conflict with the tsa. of tsahìk. The same thing *might* be an issue for -eyk- as a verb infix and its keyboarding relationship to the eyk. of eyktan. I don't know. Tsa.heylu might produce a similar issue.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Sireayä mokri

How about irayo/irayo si?
When the mirror speaks, the reflection lies.

Prrton

Quote from: Sireayä mokri on September 15, 2010, 09:42:02 AM
How about irayo/irayo si?

Solung nìhasey.

The si would stand apart as its own element. We already have that one.  ;)

Prrton

OK.

Are we done now?

Shall I send the outline data for these to Tsm. Kemaweyan?

NOTES:

• The letter ordering within tute (person) is irregular. It should not be read tu.et. This will simply require memorization.
  • The glyph tut- would never be written alone. It must be followed by a feminine () or masculine (-an) suffix.
  • The feminine ending is also irregular. That dot in the middle distinguishes 'her' from just any other word ending in an -e.
  • The final e of zenke mimics the e of the regular negative marker ke and is therefore intentionally in a somewhat irregular location compared to other compounds.

Kì'eyawn

Tewti, ma Prrton!  Those look awesome!  I have to admit, though, i never would have been able to decipher sngä'i if you hadn't specifically told me what it was.
eo Eywa oe 'ia

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Prrton on September 10, 2010, 11:00:03 PM
Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on September 10, 2010, 10:30:56 PM
'Awa tìpawm ahì'i: What type of writing system is this?  Ideographic, syllabic, something similar to the abjad/abugida writing systems, or simply alphabetical?

It's alphabetic. Some of the compounds turn into compartmentalized syllables, but they can all be broken down into their constituent parts (which are individual alphabetic letters).

Haya tìpawm: how easy would fko say this writing system is to use?
[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Payä Tìrol

It's pretty much a 1:1 conversion from the roman characters to Prrton's symbols (except diphthongs and ng/ts become one symbol, etc.) There are special marks for affixes and stress, but those look optional :P
Oeyä atanìl mì sìvawm, mipa tìreyä tìsìlpeyur yat terìng

Prrton

Quote from: Kì'eyawn on September 15, 2010, 09:43:44 PM
Tewti, ma Prrton!  Those look awesome!  I have to admit, though, i never would have been able to decipher sngä'i if you hadn't specifically told me what it was.

I agree that the letters in the sngä'i compound are highly obfuscated. I thought we could tolerate a couple with this level of, shall we call it, 'mystery'?

I could redo it as a "side by side" and it would probably be much easier to pick apart.

Leykivatem ko srak?

Prrton

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on September 15, 2010, 11:02:50 PM
'Awa tìpawm ahì'i: What type of writing system is this?  Ideographic, syllabic, something similar to the abjad/abugida writing systems, or simply alphabetical?

It's alphabetic. Some of the compounds turn into compartmentalized syllables, but they can all be broken down into their constituent parts (which are individual alphabetic letters).

If the key word is "easy" I think it's a bit subjective to give a succinct answer, but IF none of the "optional" things is used, it's just as easy as any alphabetic system to learn to read. The letterforms are a bit more complex to write than the Roman or Cyrillic or Greek alphabet. It's not as legible as any of those three. The eye/brain has to work a bit harder to parse the writing when it appears in the context of regular text than say, this paragraph. That has to do with some of the similarities in the letterforms and the overall distribution of white space.

However, this was never conceived to be something "easy". It was designed to be ceremonial -- used for purposes that don't require masses of people to read or write it regularly for everyday purposes. It's much more important to me personally that it "look nice" than for it to be "easy".

A lot of the concept of "ease of use" for us and our purposes 'Rrtamì will come from the way the font is designed and what keystrokes/combinations are required to actually type the things that are not "standard". I'm completely entrusting those decisions to tsmukan Kemaweyan. I'm sure he'll figure all that out much better than I could.

;D

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on September 15, 2010, 11:02:50 PM

Tse, i can vouch for its relative ease of use when you're actually physically writing it (although making it look nice took some practice); using it as a typed font...  ke omum oel.
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Tirea Aean

It took me like 10 minutes after studying the "key" to be able to read and write it easily. it is not at all a difficult system to use. I am curious still how Kemaweyan will decide to interpret the compounds in a keystroke...possibly alt and altgr combos and such. maybe some shift values as there is no capital forms.