Picture Dictionary

Started by Tìng Eywatikìte'e, January 02, 2010, 04:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

I'm not really an artist, but I found drawing pictures helps me remember words a lot quicker than if I was just memorizing straight from a dictionary. Under the same theory that Rosetta Stone uses it's a lot better to try and learn a language through direct association rather through translation.

I'll be sure to put some of my pictures up on the sight once I finish them, but it would be much better if one of the artists on the sites worked on their own version. Maybe the same person we get for our version of Rosetta Stone.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Maweya tirea

that is a very good idea.  :)
God síltsan lu!!!!!

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Ugh, this is reminding me of how horrible of an artist I really am...Just trying to draw a drum to illustrate 'ekong (beat) is a crap load of effort and looks like crap...
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Maweya tirea

maybe you don't have to draw it. You can find a picture online and use that or just try to copy the picture as best as you can.  8)
God síltsan lu!!!!!

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Yeah but it's the actual act of drawing that really drills the word in, the entire time I think 'ekong, 'ekong, 'ekong. It really makes it stick.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Maweya tirea

God síltsan lu!!!!!

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Yeah I suggest trying it out yourself! Even just little doodles that remind you of the word make a big difference.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Maweya tirea

I will definitely try it out. Irayo! :)
God síltsan lu!!!!!

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

The difficult part comes with the more abstract words and the smaller words like we, they ect.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Maweya tirea

Hmmm.....You could draw a group of stick figures with one saying we. I don't know. Do you have anything better in mind?
God síltsan lu!!!!!

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Well I was think for we you have one group of people with a circle around it and a person standing alone near them to show the difference. For the word they you would do the exact opposite or something...though that would translate more as "us" and "them"
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Maweya tirea

That could work. Are you planning on making these drawings into flash cards or something?
God síltsan lu!!!!!

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Yeah something like that. I may put them on the site, but they're very crappy so people may not know what the heck they are! I'm a skxawng when it comes to art...
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Maweya tirea

No, you are a skxawng for thinking like that.  :) Keep your chin up and don't insult yourself. Just suggesting the fact that drawing the pictures to help memorize the words is good enough. People can draw their own pictures.  :)
God síltsan lu!!!!!

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

You may sing a different tune if/when you see one of my pictures.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Maweya tirea

Come on, they cannot be THAT bad.
God síltsan lu!!!!!

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Well right now I've just down pictures of items, they'll seem even worst once I start trying to draw Na'Vi o.O
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Maweya tirea

hmmm as long as you know what they are and they help you eh?
God síltsan lu!!!!!

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

That's what I figured, though it would be nice to be good enough that I could help others with it. Oh well, maybe an awesome artist will read this and get inspired! Or after I post a few of my own they will know it is their artistic duty to make better ones, heh.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Maweya tirea

God síltsan lu!!!!!