Project Pängka (Version 0.1)

Started by nìTsìng Lekinama Yayo, November 20, 2010, 07:14:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nìTsìng Lekinama Yayo

(I'm not sure if this belongs here or in Fan Art, so if the mods wish to move it I will not mind.)

Meet Pängka.
Meet Pängka
V 0.1

Right now, I am attempting to create a fully expressive Na'vi head in Anime Studio Debut, as well as eventually make it able to lip-sync entirely to Na'vi speech. Right now I just have the basic model and expressions, but this is still a work in progress. :D

This is Pängka. Right now she's only an 'ite, and is very shy. Hopefully as we coax her out of her shell, she will tell us a bit about herself. :)

Eventually, people will be able to send in recordings of them speaking Na'vi, and I will sync it up to Pängka and make a video of her speaking those words. This is mainly for me to get animation practice, but I also think it could be fun for all of you guys.  ;D

Current Features:
- Bone Rigging in neck, head, and ears
- Four types of eyes
- Three types of eyebrows
- Three types of basic mouths
- 7 total lipsyncing mouths, neutral mood

Upcoming Features:
- Lip syncing for all sounds in the Na'vi Language, with three different emotions (smiling, frowning, neutral)
- More eyes and eyebrows
- Different ear poses for more realistic anger expression
- More ayhìl sì aysanhì, and other character details
- Pängka's big tsmukan, Plltu

But right now, I need some help. If anyone has a good resource for shapes of the mouth when it's making different sounds, I would really appreciate it if you get it to me. I want to make this as realistic as possible. Irayo!  :D

UPDATE 11/22/10: Pängka's first word!  ;D And yeah, that's me talking. Annoying, kefyak?

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

This is really great! :D Can't wait to see the result when Pängka starts talking :) I really like the idea! Sìltsan ;D

Brainiac

this looks awesome. keep up the good work. karma cookie for you!
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

nìTsìng Lekinama Yayo

Irayo ma smuktu!  :D

Pängka just said her first word! Check it out:

Yeah, it isn't much, and it kind of sucks.  ;D Well, everything requires practice, and I have not had much of that.

Kxamtxon Tsamsiyu

This is awesome, great job. Can't wait to hear more. :D

"First it was just orders, then everything changed.." ~Jake Sully
Neytiri & Jake

Ikran Ahiyìk

She is pretty, her ears, eyes and smile... :)

And where the sound from?
Plltxe nìhiyìk na ikran... oe fmeri sìltsan nì'ul slivu, ngaytxoa...

See the new version with fingerings!

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: Ikran Ahiyìk on November 24, 2010, 06:25:55 AMAnd where the sound from?

Srane, that's also what I was wondering (:
Nice to hear her beginnings :D

nìTsìng Lekinama Yayo

Thanks, everyone! :D

That voice was actually me. >w> Hehe.  ;D

By the way, does anyone have any suggestions for what she should say next? I'm kind of stumped on the next video.

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Oh nice! :D And what microphone did you use for that? Is it integrated to your computer?

Hm, I think she could say Irayo, Eywa ngahu or Kìyevame :)

nìTsìng Lekinama Yayo

Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on November 24, 2010, 07:35:41 PM
Oh nice! :D And what microphone did you use for that? Is it integrated to your computer?

Hm, I think she could say Irayo, Eywa ngahu or Kìyevame :)
Yeeeeah, I used the one built into my Mac. And of course my dad and my brother were in the room when I was recording. If the sound quality sucks, that's why.  ;D

All good suggestions. ^^ Maybe Kìyevame and Eywa ngahu together.  :)

Ikran Ahiyìk

Quote from: nìTsìng Lekinama Yayo on November 24, 2010, 07:54:18 PM
And of course my dad and my brother were in the room when I was recording. If the sound quality sucks, that's why.  ;D
Oh I see.. :P
Plltxe nìhiyìk na ikran... oe fmeri sìltsan nì'ul slivu, ngaytxoa...

See the new version with fingerings!

nìTsìng Lekinama Yayo

Oh, guys, idea!~ 8D How about sometime later I have her sing a little bit of "Pum-Ti-A-Ta"? That would be fun.  :D Except I can't sing, so it would probably involve embarrassing myself in front of everyone... oh, whatever, I'll probably do it. XD

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

;D

That's a great idea to make her sing. :) I agree on the fact that Kìyevame and Eywa ngahu go well together, too (unless you'd also want to use Hayalovay, which again is used in the same context)

RangerJim

Kaltxì, nìTsìng Lekinama Yayo.

Here are some suggestions for your Project Pängka...

First, do you live with a cat? Or if not, do you know anyone who has a cat companion? Please remember that the Na'vi are evolved from/similar to felines, not primates as humans are. In my experience, cats communicate as much by their body language as they do by vocalization. In particular, cats communicate by using their ears and their tail and (to a lesser degree) their whiskers. Kittens are particularly good examples of this!  :) Another example is a cat asking for food - they just sit and *stare* at you [if you've never had a cat *stare* at you, trust me. You can actually "feel" it  ;) ] until they get your attention, and then they look up at you with an expression of love and trust (with their ears and whiskers slightly forwards, and their tail up in the air), and they make what many people call a "silent meow." Well, you get the idea...  :)

But the big suggestion is this: Do you have (or can you borrow) a digital camcorder? Or even better, do you have a friend who's also interested in Na'vi and this project? If so, have them video tape your face in closeup (in particular, your mouth) as you recite the alphabet or speak common Na'vi phrases. And then have him/her zoom back to show your entire face as you smile or frown.

Do you see what I mean? Of course, another way to do this is simply pronounce the letters of the alphabet to yourself, while being very attentive to the way your lips, teeth and tongue inter-react, and notice where your tongue goes and how your lips move.

At any rate, I hope this helps. Me? I use Poser and am not really interested in animation, so I guess I'll have to rely on Na'vi speakers in my town and YouTube videos... ::wry grin::

I wish you success in your project!

Eywa ngahu,
Tsìm
I am a warrior of the clan of Rangers,
and a Priest-shaman of the Mother.
----
Walk in Beauty and Honor – Strive for Balance.

Tsuksìm atsawl (KaPTan)

Also a member of the podcast known as Avatar Nation.  Come listen to our stuff! like us on facebook and chech out our blog at Avatar-Nation.net.

Ataeghane

I like alot and Pängka as well ;). Keep developing it.

Oer wivìntxu ngal oey keyeyt krr a tse'a sat. Frakrr.