Proper subtitles for Avatar BD/DVD!

Started by omängum fra'uti, April 22, 2010, 08:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muzer

Just tried the subtitles in both Kaffeine and MPlayer with the PAL version (I tried both PAL subtitle files) and I can't get them to appear, but I only fast-forwarded to the first meeting with Grace and Norm, I didn't watch anything else. I'll try playing the whole way through to see if they actually appear in the wrong place or they don't appear at all. I'll also install VLC as I can see it's tried and tested...

I lack the Papyrus font, but I'd assume my media players would sensibly default to their own font rather than not displaying anything.
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

eanayo

Oh, cool! Thank you very much for trying the PAL subtitles out.
As I said earlier, I got a couple of people from the German forum to try out the subs, though not many precise results have been obtained ;) One, however, was that AvatarNaviPAL2.ssa appears to be actually fairly precise (for some reason, apparently withing about 0.7 seconds throughout the film), the other one was that AvatarNaviPAL1.saa is off by about 2 seconds. I've put up a version corrected by those two seconds here. Appartently it gets less accurate towards the end. Any comments on subtitle timing for the PAL version (NTSC is omängum fra'uti's domain, as is the actual content) are most appreciated.

I wonder if I should just go and buy a DVD... but I already has blu-ray ;)

As for VLC: At least the Windows version tends to choke on the subtitles sometimes, especially after pausing / resuming. Subtitles are displayed without Papyrus installed, though the character spacing is a bit large (in VLC), but it's good enough for testing at least ;)

Visit Our Dictionary for eBook readers, The Na'vi Word Puzzle Game and the Cryptogram Generator
srake tsun pivlltxe san [ˈɔaχkat͡slʃwɔaf]?

omängum fra'uti

I've actually got an update to the subtitles coming that adds a few more lines and fixes a few.  (Notably Jake's speech, but some others as well.)  I'll include the PAL timings with the update when I put it up.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

omängum fra'uti

New version of the subtitles.  Included is subtitles for PAL timing.  My first attempt was nearly identical timing to your PAL2 (Off by 0.02 seconds at the most) so given your comments I shifted the time forward by 0.7 seconds.  Hopefully it works out well.

okrìsti

I have some issues with those Dialogue: {\fs36\b1}M{\fs\b0}arked=..., changing it to Dialogue: Marked=... makes it working again.
dA | nga tsun oehu pivlltxe fa skype: c4duser
awngeyä wìki sìltsan lu
txopu lu fya'o ne vawma pa'o – nawma karyu Yotxa

omängum fra'uti

What are you using it with?  And do you have the Papyrus font, or is it defaulting to something else?

okrìsti

It is vlc, 203 substitutions via replace all and it works as expected. :)
awngeyä wìki sìltsan lu

eanayo

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on May 01, 2010, 04:22:20 AM
New version of the subtitles.  Included is subtitles for PAL timing.  My first attempt was nearly identical timing to your PAL2 (Off by 0.02 seconds at the most) so given your comments I shifted the time forward by 0.7 seconds.  Hopefully it works out well.

Hooray for omängum fra'uti, booo for deacde-old analogue video standards that still haunt us in the 21st century.

Visit Our Dictionary for eBook readers, The Na'vi Word Puzzle Game and the Cryptogram Generator
srake tsun pivlltxe san [ˈɔaχkat͡slʃwɔaf]?

omängum fra'uti

Quote from: okrìsti on May 01, 2010, 06:26:29 AM
It is vlc, 203 substitutions via replace all and it works as expected. :)
without the formatting codes it isnt quite as expected. but vlc can handle those fine... what about my other questions?  and what exactly was it doing?

okrìsti

I made some experiments, this is what vlc is making out of
Dialogue: Marked=0,0:00:12.89,0:00:16.16,Na'vi,,0000,0000,0000,,{\fs36\b1}T{\fs\b0}sun tivam.  {\fs36\b1}A{\fs\b0}ylì'u ngian iskepek lu.
I have just scanned the specs of SubStation Alpha, I think that just the Text itself (Field 10) takes the style overrides, which indeed working fine in vlc.
My only issue is that vlc apparently does not display the very first dialogue event line.
awngeyä wìki sìltsan lu

omängum fra'uti

that looks correct to me.  what do you mean "the first"?  there are a few events i set to the style "invisible" which appears (or not( exactly as the name sounds.

omängum fra'uti

I never claimed I didn't have any typos/etc in there.  I'll fix that next update.  Thanks!

erinebergman

This is fantastic and I would love to have it, unfortunately I have no idea of about 90% of what is being said in this thread. Could anyone please tell me what is the simplest way to get this working? Thank you so much!
RADIO AVATAR!! You know you want to click the link. It will lead to you to a place of awesomeness!: http://blog.radioavatar.com/

Ateyo te Kellett

It works when i play it on the file i bought online downloaded. but it doesn't work with the dvd. how do i put the subs and the dvd into VLC player?