Puk Pxaw 'Rrta - A Book Around the Earth

Started by Tìtstewan, February 25, 2013, 12:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Elf

Quote from: Tìtstewan on February 26, 2013, 10:17:16 AM
Quote from: Blue Elf on February 26, 2013, 04:57:49 AM
Also sending book by mail seems to be cumbersome. Some kind of sharing on the web seems to me as better idea.
Just my ideas.
Do you mean to sent this by email as doc-file?
Hmm... hell yeah, that would be a great idea. I will work on this!
Well, I though about web site, which current "book holder" can edit. There could be password to allow editing and when current editor finishes work, admin changes password and send it to new editor.
But sending data to main editor (admin) seems to be better - no problems with password sharing, one person responsible for final look is good. Just this admin must be able (and want) to give some of his free time to take care about project and do edits.
Of course there could be problem to send pictures or clipping etc. - no everyone has access to the scanner (those should be sent by post).

All things have pros and cons.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Tìtstewan

If I interpreated your text correctly, here is need a 'book website' and the book. The current book holder scan or take a photo from the pages of the book and send it to the website admin for upload.
That's correct? :-\

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

A place out near me called 'Tigertouch' did something like this some years back. One of the board members who lived in the eastern US sent out a small plush lion (Named 'Rocky', which was one of Tigertouch's lions) to different fans and supporters of Tigertouch around the world. They were instructed to 'involve Rocky in a little of your local culture', write about your adventures, and include some pictures of the places little Rocky visited. When little Rocky showed up on my doorstep, I had the honor and privilege of 'introuducing' him to his real namesake. I then sent him on his continuing adventure. Somewhere along the way, little Rocky got 'lost in transit' for nearly a year around the time of the 9/11 World trade Center attacks. By the time he returned to the original sender, he had been on 5 continents, and visited some 12 countries. As the real Rocky and his cagemates are now on 'the savannah in the sky'. the website documenting this tour has been taken down. But I might go looking for it on the 'wayback machine', or I might have even locally archived it. In any case, it was a whole lot of fun!

To have its maximum benefit, it needs to be a physical journal, mailed from place to place. When the book is full, or it is decided to end the project, the contents should be scanned and placed somewhere on this site. the book should be presented to K. Pawl as a token of our appreciation in what he has done to create and promote the Na'vi language.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tìtstewan

Kaltxì ma `Eylan Ayfalulukanä

That is an interesting story. If the book travel on all 5 continents and lots of countries... :)

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on February 27, 2013, 09:01:43 PM
To have its maximum benefit, it needs to be a physical journal, mailed from place to place. When the book is full, or it is decided to end the project, the contents should be scanned and placed somewhere on this site. the book should be presented to K. Pawl as a token of our appreciation in what he has done to create and promote the Na'vi language.
This is a wonderful idea! I like it! :D

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tìtstewan on February 27, 2013, 11:51:35 PM

This.

I really think this Book Around the World idea is really COOL. I would pay shipping for this. maybe up to $10 USD. I like the idea that it would eventually get scanned (maybe to PDF or eBook format?) and put online.

An email list is also cool, to have this huge long email containing loads of replies from people everywhere. Physical books are awesome though because people can more easily write with their handwriting in it, and more easily draw pictures in it.

IF I ever get this book, I will have a picture taken with me holding the book wearing an LN related T-shirt and put that in there. Then write a random message containing both English and Na'vi, most likely.

Blue Elf

Quote from: Tìtstewan on February 27, 2013, 08:35:33 AM
If I interpreated your text correctly, here is need a 'book website' and the book. The current book holder scan or take a photo from the pages of the book and send it to the website admin for upload.
Just 'book website' - people write, scan etc. everything they want and it to the admin to put it to website.
But I must agree with TA - paper book is easier for people to use. Personally I'm a fan of paper books - I tried to read electronic book and it is ... not good.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Blue Elf on February 28, 2013, 05:57:51 AM
Quote from: Tìtstewan on February 27, 2013, 08:35:33 AM
Just 'book website' - people write, scan etc. everything they want and it to the admin to put it to website.
But I must agree with TA - paper book is easier for people to use. Personally I'm a fan of paper books - I tried to read electronic book and it is ... not good.

I like electronic stuff over paper, but for a project like this, I really like the personal touch of passing around a physical book of paper. I like the idea of different people's handwriting and sketching being in there. I also think it would be cool for anyone who is not native English speaking to write a little something in their native language and translate it (or not.)

Tìtstewan

Cool, so I will buy a book tomorrow. ;)

I will see, if I can get a webserver for creating a webside.

Blue Elf

Quote from: Tirea Aean on February 28, 2013, 06:34:25 AM
I like electronic stuff over paper, but for a project like this, I really like the personal touch of passing around a physical book of paper. I like the idea of different people's handwriting and sketching being in there.
This. Although web is easier to maintain, it has no sign of writer's personality. Paper is good for this project. Just pitty that at the time of book becomes full only owner will own it. If this project will be successful, and I'd be asked to contribute, I'd like to have copy of finalized book (and many others probably too).

Tìtstewan

I think this would be a good idea to copy this book if is filled. So a file can created and sent to everyone who want one.

Eana Unil

Quote from: Tirea Aean on February 28, 2013, 03:27:21 AM
Quote from: Tìtstewan on February 27, 2013, 11:51:35 PM

This.

I really think this Book Around the World idea is really COOL. I would pay shipping for this. maybe up to $10 USD. I like the idea that it would eventually get scanned (maybe to PDF or eBook format?) and put online.

An email list is also cool, to have this huge long email containing loads of replies from people everywhere. Physical books are awesome though because people can more easily write with their handwriting in it, and more easily draw pictures in it.

IF I ever get this book, I will have a picture taken with me holding the book wearing an LN related T-shirt and put that in there. Then write a random message containing both English and Na'vi, most likely.
Mllte nìwotx. I would just draw something instead, but I'd totally love to participate - wonderful idea.

Blue Elf

Quote from: Tìtstewan on February 28, 2013, 07:09:37 AM
I think this would be a good idea to copy this book if is filled. So a file can created and sent to everyone who want one.
Do you mean scan it and create PDF? Yes, it's the simplest way to give it to all people interested, but as I said, I prefer paper books. And there will just one - the original. Meh, one can't have anything. Even electronic form can work.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Blue Elf on March 01, 2013, 03:11:07 AM
Quote from: Tìtstewan on February 28, 2013, 07:09:37 AM
Do you mean scan it and create PDF? Yes, it's the simplest way to give it to all people interested, but as I said, I prefer paper books. And there will just one - the original. Meh, one can't have anything. Even electronic form can work.

Yes, and I agree with you there. But who says that OP has to be the ONLY person to send a book around? ;) I think after his book is full, someone else can send a book around?

Tìtstewan

I have buy a little book today. The book need some modifications. ;)
...a content by me and than it's go. :D

The choise will be difficult... :o

Eana Unil

Sooo, how's the status? Book modified? Ready to go?  :)

Who will be first after you, ma Tìtstewan?  :D

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Eana Unil on March 02, 2013, 10:53:19 AM
Sooo, how's the status? Book modified? Ready to go?  :)
I'm working on the design. :)

Quote from: Eana Unil on March 02, 2013, 10:53:19 AM
Who will be first after you, ma Tìtstewan?  :D
This is difficult. Currently I don't know exacly who will get this book. :-X

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

There are inexpensive, short run bookbinding services (like Amazon.com, whom Kaltxì Palulukan! uses for his Na'vi book), thanks to the magic of xerography. That would be a good way to create replica books for those interested in a copy.

I also like paper books over their electronic brethren. I have poor eyesight, and find computer screens do not make for the best reading. Ebooks also do not handle complex drawings (like electronic schematics, etc.) very well.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

hemmond

So... is book on the way? :) I think, that the paper book is the best idea. :) You're holding a thing, someone else hold in the hand... It's like handshake with everyone else... And I think it'll be good if anyone could scan it as he finishes... :) And keep the scans SECRET. :) Until it's officialy done. :)

As for the website... I think it'd be good if anyone could anonymously commit to secret database and in that database everyone, who wants to participate in this project will write their nick and their country. When person gets The Book, he will draw, write, glue in, etc... and then access this database through the password, pick the name of new "holder" and arrange book transport with him. (And then he could send new password and put it there instead of the old one. :) )... And optionally scan it for the case The Book get lost... Then he can post to the topic, that he sent The Book on it's way. So we know, who had the book, and eagerly awaits, who will be the next holder. :)

After the book is finished, it'll be sent back to Tìstewan, he'll scan it completely and give it as a gift to Karyu Pawl. :) Then publishes the scans. :)

I think, for the website, we can use skxawng.lu domain. :) It seems operational again. :)
old gallery link?id=1849[/img]
old gallery link?id=1890[/img]

http://twitter.com/hemmondssandbox

If it's change in you, then the world is changing too.
--22nd World Scout Jamboree anthem.

Tìtstewan

Unfortunately, the book is not on the way yet. The book is still in parts here, because I want to make this book extendable. I must also create the book, that I can completely scan each page. :) So it take a bit of time to finish it. ;)

hemmond

I think it shouldn't be extendable... I'd rather see fixed portion of pages and when the pages are filled, project ends and we might start "round two"... If it has reasonable amount of pages, I think, we won't fill that amount of pages anyway... :) If the book is extendable, we won't see, when is time for the project to end...
old gallery link?id=1849[/img]
old gallery link?id=1890[/img]

http://twitter.com/hemmondssandbox

If it's change in you, then the world is changing too.
--22nd World Scout Jamboree anthem.