Definition disambiguation

Started by Txonpay, January 18, 2024, 11:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toliman

Txonpay

I also made a spreadsheet of changed defintions (OpenOffice format, not in the cloud) for Fwew.  Just in case others want a list of what changed :)
Cuddling my ilu

Txonpay

It's here on Na'viteri! ;D However, the clarifications will be saved for a different post.  At least Pawl clarified a language gap we didn't think of: long in time (txankrr to nun, not an ù-word in reef)
Cuddling my ilu

Toliman

Txonpay

Changelog:
  • Removed unneeded nìftxan/fìtxan synonym status
  • Added "ma" being optional for animals (we await whether or not it's optional in the clipped register)
  • Added ofp/nfp status for all 4 "healthy" words amd all 4 "unhealthy" words
  • Moved "ray" to things in need of searchability
  • Added a disclaimer that 'ok needs a more precise definition (we only have "remembrance")
  • Added non-gendered definition of Tsahìk
  • Added that Pawl received the list of needed clarifications
Cuddling my ilu

Toliman

Good you still work on it :)

Txonpay

In private channels, there have been discussions of sending a list of 79 changed definitions (based on this list) to Pawl for approval, but all of them are existing/canon/confirmed information (only the wording changed). :-\ Personally I believe we don't his permission to improve the definitions (and I think Pawl would agree).  Just like when translating, the meaning is more important than the wording.  Plus he's already sorting through a list of 66 words with unclear canonicity or definition.

There's also the idea of letting Pawl know that the list of 79 changed definitions exists and give him an idea of what kinds of changes we want to make (and if he approves of what we want to do with the dictionaries).
Cuddling my ilu

Tirea Aean

Quote(and I think Pawl would agree)

I suppose there's only one way to find out ;D

EDIT: I don't necessarily disagree personally with the main ideas here, but I just thought it might be a wise and respectful move to keep Pawl in the loop, when we're talking about something as big (imo) as changing 80 dictionary definitions suddenly after many years, adding words to some of them that we are essentially assuming are in the intended semantic range

DOUBLE EDIT: I guess even I suspect that he won't care so deeply about precise wordings, and if this turns out to be the case, we probably won't have to seek this sort of approval again, especially if it explicitly applies to the future. Idk, I just figured to ask and/or inform him about doing stuff like this is an act of kindness and respect out of principle. Pretty much like any other time people still ask before they do stuff even when it is known to be highly likely that permission will be granted if requested.

Txonpay

I sent the list of definition changes (the ones based on known information) to Pawl and gave him a summary about the nature of such dictionary changes.  Hopefully we'll know what he believes regarding this :)

Also, 65 of the 79 changes just add specificity in parenthesis and no additional words to the actual definition and searchable words.
Cuddling my ilu

Txonpay

Pawl got back to me today! ;D He told me he would look at the spreadsheet of changed definitions anyway (hopefully either after some of the other improvements or if he wants an easier Na'vi-related task).  He also said that there's nothing wrong with making non-controversial clarifications to definitions to help users, that we can go ahead with it it, and to reach out if there's anything we're not sure of.  He also wondered what dictionary I was referring to.  I told him it's a CSV file made more for computers than humans, has many translations into non-English natural languages, and he can see what it would look like before the improvements here.  And that I can easily convert it to a .xlsx (Microsoft Excel) or .ods (OpenOffice/LibreOffice spreadsheet) format.
Cuddling my ilu

Toliman

Txonpay

The last thing I noticed in Fwew on my own was "awnga" was not labeled as an inclusive "we", just as "we".  The other dictionaries already clarified that though. :D Also, my definition clarifications made it to mainline Fwew! 8)
Cuddling my ilu

Toliman

Txonpay

I just emailed Pawl some updates :D
  • The definitions are now in mainline Fwew and it can be accessed on fwew.app and the Android app (hopefully iOS comes this year)
  • There's a new spreadsheet here that includes sources of the various words in links, with words of the same source grouped together
  • The definitions are also segregated into those with new synonyms and those with new qualifiers only
Cuddling my ilu

Tirea Aean

Irayo! :D

Sorry it took me forever to put those in :-\
Also thanks for those spreadsheets. Maybe Tìtstewan could find them useful to sync up the NaviDictionary.pdf series

Txonpay

Quote from: Tirea Aean on March 09, 2024, 11:35:12 PMAlso thanks for those spreadsheets. Maybe Tìtstewan could find them useful to sync up the NaviDictionary.pdf series
Nìprrte'! :D

Also, just for the record, most dictionaries listed awnga as an inclusive "we, us", but Fwew didn't list its inclusivity status.  It's now fixed in Fwew as of posting this. :)
Cuddling my ilu

Toliman

Quote from: Txonpay on March 09, 2024, 11:11:44 PMI just emailed Pawl some updates :D
  • The definitions are now in mainline Fwew and it can be accessed on fwew.app and the Android app (hopefully iOS comes this year)
  • There's a new spreadsheet here that includes sources of the various words in links, with words of the same source grouped together
  • The definitions are also segregated into those with new synonyms and those with new qualifiers only

Nice :)  :)

Toliman