Send Your Own Greeting to K. Pawl!!

Started by Prrton, September 20, 2010, 02:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prrton

Folks,

As a function of the upcoming Language Workshop with Karyu Pawl, I'm putting together a slide show of personal greetings and other cool stuff from the LearnNa'vi.org community specifically for him. I would like to ask you all to be a part of this.

This slide show will be shown to him over the weekend of 02~03 October, and I also intend to burn it in DVD form so that he can watch it conveniently at his leisure or show it to others (friends and family) whenever he'd like.

YOU ARE ALL OFFICIALLY INVITED TO PARTICIPATE BY CONTRIBUTING.

There are a few guidelines:

• Please think of what you create as a personally crafted "greeting card".
  • Please "introduce yourself" (briefly/succinctly) as a function of what you create.
  • Please include some Na'vi language if you are comfortable doing that (but NOT REQUIRED).
  • It is fine to be humorous, but nothing rude or crude, please. He is a gentleman.
  • Remember that this will be in a slide show format. Your greeting will be preceded by one and followed by another in random order. And, it won't be on the screen forever. It will be fading by at a fixed pace the first time he sees it. I guess he'll be able to hit PAUSE on the DVD.
  • The intended audience is K. Pawl, but there is no guarantee regarding who will or won't see what you create.

The format is FIXED:

• 720p size which is a 16:9 aspect ratio. 1280 pixels wide by 720 pixels high. 72 dpi.
  • JPEG or TIFF format.
  • FLATTENED. NO LAYERS.
  • A "safe area" border of 55 pixels is necessary to make sure that your hard work won't be for nothing. See below.

Here is what I consider to be a perfect model example (shown here at a reduced (less than 720p) size for forum display convenience):

This is what is meant by a "safe area" border. Things near the edges might get cut-off. Don't put anything important closer than 55 pixels to edge.

Please only create one greeting card per person, or you can collaborate and have multiple people on one if you like.

If you would like to do some other kind of collage or share something else with him in addition to your personal greeting, that's fine too, but it must conform to the 720p graphic specifications above. These could be photos from Meet-ups or conferences. People painted blue... Just nothing that is vulgar, please. And, just random photos of your cat...?? Probably not. But, your custom artwork?? SURE! He would want to understand the relevance to the community, I'm sure. Bring on your creativity!

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me (Prrton) or you can ask below.

Deadline is 8:00 PM PST (California time), Tuesday, 28 September 2010.

EXTENDED: Deadline is 9:00 PM PST (California time), Wednesday, 29 September 2010.

Delivery methods are:

(1) Upload to drop-box or something similar and PM the link to me (Prrton).

or

(2) Send regular e-mail to upxare at masempul dot org with JPEG or TIFF attachment(s).

I don't have time or talent to FIX things that aren't in the graphic formats above, so if you're not sure, ask me first, or ask a graphically talented friend to help you. There is a PHOTOSHOP template attached that includes the safe area border as a layer. agent1022 has kindly created a version of the blank template for those of you who use GIMP. You can find it in his reply HERE.

I hope there will be LOTs of content coming in.  ;D

'Ivong Na'vi!

PS: Please read all of this again carefully before you start asking questions or creating your cards.  ;)

PPS: Total number of greeting cards received as of 3:30 PM PDT, Wednesday, 29 September:

Nyx

Great idea, ma Prrton ;D I'm sure karyu Pawl will appreciate this.

I'm off to dig through my photos ^^

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Tìkangkem lu ne oe fìtxon

Three questions:

First of all, 1280 x 720 is a video format. And you are specifying a 'safe action area'. But the other context here suggests you are looking for a single still image. Is this correct?

Second, your image shows a 'safe action or title area' on all sides but the right side. I am assuming that due to a tendency of some web browsers to crop the right side of the page, that the safe action area is actually on all four sides. Is this correct?

Third, you do mean '8 PM Pacific Daylight Time', don't you?

This will likely be a picture of 'me with my cat'.  :o

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Prrton

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on September 20, 2010, 03:20:22 PM
Tìkangkem lu ne oe fìtxon

Three questions:

First of all, 1280 x 720 is a video format. And you are specifying a 'safe action area'. But the other context here suggests you are looking for a single still image. Is this correct?

Second, your image shows a 'safe action or title area' on all sides but the right side. I am assuming that due to a tendency of some web browsers to crop the right side of the page, that the safe action area is actually on all four sides. Is this correct?

Third, you do mean '8 PM Pacific Daylight Time', don't you?

This will likely be a picture of 'me with my cat'.  :o

A single, still image if you're just doing a greeting card, please.

The 'safe area' of 55 pixels should extend all the way around the perimeter, top, bottom, left, right. That is a 55 pixel INSET from the edge. Please don't make your image larger than 1280x720 pixels for any reason. It should be precisely that size.

You're right, it is technically still Daylight Saving Time. If that causes confusion, I'll wait until 9:00 PM before shutting things down.

I wish you could get a pose with Kenya! ;)

Will be happy to meet your house kitty too, though.

The main goal is to give Karyu Pawl a quick 'snapshot' of who you are as a person and member of the community.

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Txantsan! Oe fìkem sayi ye'rìn. Kivin oel pive'un perel new oe sivar. Ke omängum! Kin rel livu oeyä srak?

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Prrton

Quote from: Txonä Rolyu on September 20, 2010, 07:08:41 PM
Txantsan! Oe fìkem sayi ye'rìn. Kivin oel pive'un perel new oe sivar. Ke omängum! Kin rel livu oeyä srak?

-Txonä Rolyu

Srane. Swey lu fwa ngal ftxey a relìri kop tsar lu ngeyä key a wolìntxu nìlaw. Rutxe lrrtok sivi nìteng!

Pereiey oe nìprrte'!  ;D

Ftiafpi

Prrton

agent1022

For those of us without Photoshop and instead use GIMP (which is free...and in fact, also can open .psd directly ==), I've taken the time to create a .xcf 1280 x 720 file with a 55px border. :p

Ngima palulukantsyìp ngim lu

Prrton

Quote from: agent1022 on September 20, 2010, 11:51:41 PM
For those of us without Photoshop and instead use GIMP (which is free...and in fact, also can open .psd directly ==), I've taken the time to create a .xcf 1280 x 720 file with a 55px border. :p

Thanks very much!

That's super helpful!

;D

C'tri Atan'itan

I shall absolutely be meeting up with my learning partner to get an appropriate picture for this :-)
Unil'ite: Keye'ung! \0/
Oe: FÌTSENG LU PANDORAAAAAA

GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Irayo nìtxan  I'll use that this evening, as I do everything in Gimp under Linux.

I am going to try really hard to have that done by 8 PM tonight (Had a double-length board meeting last night for a group I am on the BOD of.)

Ma Prrton, oei rawnun reltseot a nga riyun lor

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Prrton

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on September 21, 2010, 03:07:28 PM

Irayo nìtxan  I'll use that this evening, as I do everything in Gimp under Linux.

I am going to try really hard to have that done by 8 PM tonight (Had a double-length board meeting last night for a group I am on the BOD of.)

Ma Prrton, oei rawnun reltseot a nga riyun lor

I didn't have anything to do with the content of the example. It's all from Tsm. Kì'eyawn. Her assets and her design! But, I'm glad you seem to like it.

Prrton

How many people are planning on doing this over the weekend?

The deadline is still several days away, but I was expecting more than 4 by now.

Come, on folks.

Share the LOVE!  ;D

eanayo

Quote from: Prrton on September 24, 2010, 01:46:16 PM
How many people are planning on doing this over the weekend?

*raises hand*
There's just not enough days in a week ;)

Also, many thanks to you for organizing all of this. Irayo seiyi ngaru nìtxan!

Visit Our Dictionary for eBook readers, The Na'vi Word Puzzle Game and the Cryptogram Generator
srake tsun pivlltxe san [ˈɔaχkat͡slʃwɔaf]?

Lisa

You'll get mine this weekend.... I've got the design figured out, and what I want to say, and I'll put it all together probably tomorrow.

Thanks so much for doing this!  :)

Oeru syaw "Tirea Ikran" kop slä frakrrmi layu oe "Grammar Skxawng"   :)

Maria TunVrrtep

Ok.  I have a question.  Can it be smaller than the 1280X720?  Or does it have to be that size. 

"Ke'u ke lu law a krr frakem tsunslu." -
    Margaret Drabble
("When nothing is sure, everything is possible.")

Prrton

Quote from: TunVrrtep on September 24, 2010, 03:12:07 PM
Ok.  I have a question.  Can it be smaller than the 1280X720?  Or does it have to be that size. 

Ma Tsmuke,

It needs to be that standard size. Anything smaller than that will either be just too small to see once everything is said and done with the DVD rendering, etc. or it will be grainy/pixellated (poor quality/look awful) if artificially enlarged.

Plumps

Ma Prrton, I spread the word in the German Forum

I indend to contribute but am utterly lost when it comes to photoshop or other editing programmes... Keep those fingers crossed ;)

Eyamsiyu

I have a photo now, but I realize I have no good way of actually getting a 1280x720 (or whatever size) photo.  I don't actually own a camera, just the crappy cam on my Mac.

My phone takes relatively nice photos though... Hmm, I needs and assistant of sorts to take the pic...

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch