The Na'vi Random Word and Text Generator

Started by eanayo, March 14, 2010, 02:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eanayo

Kaltxì, ma eylan!

Lu oeru prrte' fwa ayngaru wivìntxu ngopyut aylì'uä ahiyìk.

It is my pleasure to reveal to you: The Na'vi Random Word and Text Generator
(or: CPU time well wasted)

I've hacked together a PHP script that generates Na'vi words with a given number of syllables according to Dr Frommer's specifications on Language Log.
There is also an extension bolted to it that generates a block of text made up of random words. You may (or more likely, not) find this useful to try your pronunciation of unknown, yet plausible, words or make a Lorem Ipsum in Na'vi, or... well, maybe you can think of more meaningful applications.

The Na'vi Random Word and Text Generator

Dr Frommer's syllable structure specification has been implemented, with the following sanity additions:

• end of syllable can not be the beginning of the following syllable
  • this includes parts of diphthongs / digraphs: no aw-w, e-ey, ts-s etc
  • no rrr or lll
  • no syllable-final glottal stops after diphthongs

If there are other restrictions required, or any of the above are actually legal, please let me know and I'll update the script.

A few more points:

• please don't break it. This is hosted on my private web space, so no funny DDoSes or whatever, kthnx.
  • If it generates an illegal word, please let me know and I'll see to fix it.
  • If it doesn't work on your computer, please let me know and I'll see what I can do.
  • If you have any suggestions for modifications / extensions, please let me know.

Now, have fun!

Visit Our Dictionary for eBook readers, The Na'vi Word Puzzle Game and the Cryptogram Generator
srake tsun pivlltxe san [ˈɔaχkat͡slʃwɔaf]?

Txewì

Ooh, this is entertaining :)

It would seem to work pretty well! I even got a few actual words. It does seem to be a bit happy on the rr/ll at times though (spawrrnrrp? ìlrrtsprr? tsìpxllnhll? (which I really cannot pronounce without starting to laugh ;D)).

And I'm pretty sure "don't be silly or I shall feed you to the Palulukan!" is not a valid Na'vi word (nor is it 50 syllabes long) :(

eanayo

Quote from: Txewì on March 14, 2010, 02:40:16 PM
Ooh, this is entertaining :)

I'm glad to hear that :)

It does seem to be a bit happy on the rr/ll at times though (spawrrnrrp? ìlrrtsprr? tsìpxllnhll? (which I really cannot pronounce without starting to laugh ;D)).

Whoopsie! Somehow an "if" disappeared, which allowed rr and ll to substitute vowels in any syllable. Should only occur in CV syllables - that's fixed now.

In general, if a rr / ll is allowed, it is chosen with the same probability as any other vowel. I might change that a little if it keeps its rrtxllrrllkxllrr-fetish ;)

And I'm pretty sure "don't be silly or I shall feed you to the Palulukan!" is not a valid Na'vi word (nor is it 50 syllabes long) :(

Quiet, you! :P But good point, I might translate it into Na'vi...

Visit Our Dictionary for eBook readers, The Na'vi Word Puzzle Game and the Cryptogram Generator

Txewì

Quote from: Aysyal on March 14, 2010, 03:34:06 PM
Whoopsie! Somehow an "if" disappeared, which allowed rr and ll to substitute vowels in any syllable. Should only occur in CV syllables - that's fixed now.

Seems to go a lot better now. I'm getting some pretty decently sounding results, and occasionally, less decent. I've also seen some questionable cases of repeated consonants ("ewwewr"). I'm not even going to start about what is wrong with "pewpew".

Still, it works pretty decently, especially with single-syllable words the frequency at which it comes up with an actual word is pretty good.

hemmond

I think, that this generator is good. We know what words are not good, so we simply don't use that wors and click to "generate" button again. :)
old gallery link?id=1849[/img]
old gallery link?id=1890[/img]

http://twitter.com/hemmondssandbox

If it's change in you, then the world is changing too.
--22nd World Scout Jamboree anthem.

eanayo

Quote from: Txewì on March 14, 2010, 05:48:11 PM
I've also seen some questionable cases of repeated consonants ("ewwewr"). I'm not even going to start about what is wrong with "pewpew".

Hm, that is a good catch. In case anyone is interested how that word (ewwewr) is made up:
(ew)-(wewr): V-CVC: (diphthong) - (consonant - diphthong - consonant)
The "eww" is not caught by the "end of syllable may not be the same as the beginning of next syllable" rule because the diphthongs are treated atomically, so "ew" is not equal to "w", and therefore it passes.

I'm not too confident about the treatment of diphthongs (anyone more knowledgeable? hint, hint!), but I strongly suspect that you're right and such repetitions (aw-w, ew-w, ay-y ey-y) may actually not occur. Also, if anyone knows if my constraint on glottal stops after diphthongs ( (aw')(p) is not permitted, (aw)('a) is ok though) makes sense or not, please let me know ;) I'll leave it as it is for now, and if don't hear otherwise I'll fix it during the week.

"pewpew" on the other hand would seem like a perfectly reasonable onomatopoeia for "firing a gun" - I like it ;)

Thanks to everyone who has given feedback so far!

Ah, by the way: I've added a random text generator to the site... just in case you need a few pages worth of semi-plausible Na'vi :P

edit:
Ok, there were some more problems that are now fixed:

• All digraph / diphthong - consonant / vowel combinations should now be free of double vowels/consonants, such as aw-w, e-ey, ts-s, t-ts, etc.
  • The second consonant in consonant clusters now shows more variety (was only p before due to a typo, damn you PHP and your lack of variable declarations!)