The Audio Dictionary

Started by Taronyu, January 07, 2010, 03:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taronyu

Hey everyone. In cooperation with Ftiafpi and Steven, who pronounce everything, I present to you the audio dictionary. Each entry has a link to an audio clip of the word, pronounced correctly. Have fun. :)

Make comments, suggestions, et cetera here. For comments on the audio files, please use this thread.

An Audio Na'vi Dictionary

Toruk Makto

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Night Raider

This is very cool, great job guys.
Is this right? I just write whatever in the signature box?

Doolio

this is a massive project, congratz:)

one of the pronouncers (if there's more, which i think there is because i think that i hear two accents) is anglizing the pronounciation just a little bit, but, great job, nevertheless. i am amazed with your energy, taronyu:)
...taj rad...

Ftiafpi

Yeah, it's definitely a work in progress and we have a long ways to go and it will probably be updated many, MANY times but, still, it's a start and when completed will probably be one of the more useful tools for learning Na'vi.

Irayo ma tsmukan, fi'u nìngay srayung!

damp

cool man ! this is gonna help a lot :D

Irayo ma tsmukan
kaltxí ngaru lu fpom srak?

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Doolio on January 07, 2010, 03:36:53 PM
this is a massive project, congratz:)

one of the pronouncers (if there's more, which i think there is because i think that i hear two accents) is anglizing the pronounciation just a little bit, but, great job, nevertheless. i am amazed with your energy, taronyu:)

Oh, and yes, there are two of us (you can join in as well, see the topic in the projects folder or PM me). If you notice any major (or minor) pronunciation errors let me know and I'll update the audio, since the audio is hosted on a separate site any updates to the audio file do not require an update to the dictionary so it makes minor changes really easy.

Doolio

oh, that's cool:)
i wanted to do something similar, like a dictate, a spelling test, where people would write down words and sentences heard in the clip, but i got tangled in obligations and i still don't have the mic, so, even if i would love to, i can't join yet. when (and if) the situation changes, i'll be delighted to help.
...taj rad...

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Doolio on January 07, 2010, 04:50:15 PM
oh, that's cool:)
i wanted to do something similar, like a dictate, a spelling test, where people would write down words and sentences heard in the clip, but i got tangled in obligations and i still don't have the mic, so, even if i would love to, i can't join yet. when (and if) the situation changes, i'll be delighted to help.

Well, the beauty of this is the audio files are all stored online separately (see the topic in the audio files forum) so you can just take individual words and link them up. Words with affixes could be a problem but this would give you a starting point.

omängum fra'uti

Very nice, though I'm not sure I'm fond of the PDF interface.  It makes it a bit inconvenient if the browser is set to play audio files externally.

Unless I'm mistaken, there should be TeX to HTML you could apply to your dictionary, then use an embedded sound player with some simple javascript to play the clips right off the page.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Taronyu

That would involve downloading the files, which would negate editing.

That would also be past my abilities, currently.

omängum fra'uti

Shouldn't involve downloading the files at all, it can still reference them at some onsite or offsite location.

If you want to send me a HTML version of the audio dictionary I can see if I can whip up an embedded player for it.

txura utral

According to this link: <http://forum.learnnavi.org/index.php?topic=18.0>, the dictionary's pronunciation of ejectives in words such as "muntxa" is slightly off. From what I understand there should be a bit more of a pause between the ejective and the letter following it.
I heard ejectives explained as using air from the glottis instead of the lungs, which, when I try to pronounce words, seems to come out correctly.
I could be wrong, but according to the way I interpreted Frommer's and Wikipedia's explanations of ejectives, the only difference between " tx " and " t' " is that the ejective uses air from the glottis, and that this air builds up and is released, or ejected, forcefully, causing a sort of popping noise.
Sorry if I'm being a bit nit-picky, but I'm kinda a perfectionist, and I don't want others, or, as the case may be, myself, mislead on how to pronounce ejectives.

Edited for grammar 'n stuff.
Na'viti ayngal nume, ayskxawng!
Learn your Na'vi, morons!

I apologize in advance for my grammar.

Taronyu

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on January 07, 2010, 05:25:04 PM
Shouldn't involve downloading the files at all, it can still reference them at some onsite or offsite location.

If you want to send me a HTML version of the audio dictionary I can see if I can whip up an embedded player for it.

Right. I forget your email. I also have it written in LaTeX - you alright with that?

Yato

This is such a great help, learning by hearing is the best way for me...i actually have a few plans to try and translate a song into Na'Vi.(i hope it works out lol)

Ftiafpi

Made some minor updates to the existing sounds, no re-download needed though for those who already have the dictionary.

Some more words coming soon!

omängum fra'uti

Quote from: Taronyu on January 07, 2010, 05:41:45 PM
Quote from: omängum fra'uti on January 07, 2010, 05:25:04 PM

Right. I forget your email. I also have it written in LaTeX - you alright with that?
I'm sure I can apt-get something to deal with it. :)  I'll PM you email address.

Taronyu

Ftiafpi

Woohoo, 83 words already!

I estimate it will take about another 20 days to finish every word assuming we do 20 words every two days.

Ftiafpi

Just a thought, shouldn't this be in either the audio forum or the projects forum. It doesn't really matter but it just seems like it would fit there better.