The most EVIL Na'vi Crossword--ever!!

Started by Kaltxì Palulukan!, January 23, 2010, 11:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omängum fra'uti

Eclipse was one of the ones I went through in trying to find something usable, I dismissed it because I found no way to make it treat punctuation as part of the word which means it's basically missing a letter for Na'vi.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on January 24, 2010, 04:25:20 AM
Eclipse was one of the ones I went through in trying to find something usable, I dismissed it because I found no way to make it treat punctuation as part of the word which means it's basically missing a letter for Na'vi.

Awww crap, now I have to karma you.

I am really liking this M.O. I will try to build a comprehensive dictionary, but it will take a little time. Thanks for the recommendation. You have saved a LOT of students a lot of misery finding my mistakes. This automation will allow me to work on aesthetics. Well, Eclipse was cute and all, but M.O. is a serious tool. I would ask if you want a copy of my word list when it is done, but yours will certainly be larger, and more up to date, correct (and so on). Well, at least this will help reinforce my vocab skills.
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

omängum fra'uti

I'm sticking mine to...

1. Fully attested words (Only a few VERY strong derivations at best)
2. Words not specific to Pandora (For the most part, no pandora flora or fauna...  I do include a few that people are likely to know like omatikaya, atokarina', etc...)
3. For words which are attested but only contextually defined in the derivation, only those which have good context

The base dictionary I have built from that isn't likely to change at this point.  The advanced dictionary I'll throw in twists like inflected verbs, prefix and suffixed nouns, short plurals, simple derivations (IE with le-, tì- and nì-) and short phrases.

Also since words can never start with "X" or "G", I've compressed digraph consonants to single tiles.  In my dictionary this is accomplished by substitutions using a cross between the scientific notation and leetspeek.  TS = C, NG = G, PX = ?, KX = <, TX = 7.  In a way, I actually prefer the single letter per sound approach for words, and wish I had something better for ejectives.  (I also threw in ` for ì and : for ä, just because I'm too lazy to keep typing them out on my US keyboard layout.)  I may actually change the ejectives to B, Q and D (Plosive consonants in the same part of the mouth which do not actually exist in Na'vi) so they are all regular letters.  However that's largely irrelevent as unless I want to make a key for the puzzle, I'm the only one that ever sees my notation.

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on January 24, 2010, 05:07:15 AM
I'm sticking mine to...

1. Fully attested words (Only a few VERY strong derivations at best)
2. Words not specific to Pandora (For the most part, no pandora flora or fauna...  I do include a few that people are likely to know like omatikaya, atokarina', etc...)
3. For words which are attested but only contextually defined in the derivation, only those which have good context

The base dictionary I have built from that isn't likely to change at this point.  The advanced dictionary I'll throw in twists like inflected verbs, prefix and suffixed nouns, short plurals, simple derivations (IE with le-, tì- and nì-) and short phrases.

Also since words can never start with "X" or "G", I've compressed digraph consonants to single tiles.  In my dictionary this is accomplished by substitutions using a cross between the scientific notation and leetspeek.  TS = C, NG = G, PX = ?, KX = <, TX = 7.  In a way, I actually prefer the single letter per sound approach for words, and wish I had something better for ejectives.  (I also threw in ` for ì and : for ä, just because I'm too lazy to keep typing them out on my US keyboard layout.)  I may actually change the ejectives to B, Q and D (Plosive consonants in the same part of the mouth which do not actually exist in Na'vi) so they are all regular letters.  However that's largely irrelevent as unless I want to make a key for the puzzle, I'm the only one that ever sees my notation.

I like the idea of fully attested words. I am seeing all kinds of complaints from a small number of people about words. This concerns me, but all I can do is see how things shake out between FOX and Frommer. We may be weeks, months--or years away from any set corrections of what we have already. I also like the idea of words that are easily translated into common conversations. These are "useful words." Tools that are useful are kept at hand and used often. conversely, words that are difficult or arbitrary to pleasant discussion will be noted by the majority (if at all) as either interesting, in a passing sense, or simply discarded. "Huh?" is savagely more easily memorized than a list of archaic terms.

Re "3:" (above). That is your bailiwick. Long ago I realized I am little more than a typing monkey (fortunately one who is paid to pound randomly on my keyboard), so I know when I am at my language limit.

G and X. Yeah, I figured that out through a lot of trial an error. Also some of the vowel to consonant structure (no "or" sounds, words that end in s, lots of words like to end in vowels, but not t's usually . . . random things that start to make sense after a time). I applaud your digraph consonant work. At this time I prefer to keep them separate, but that may change as I get more comfortable with the puzzle software, and more ideas in the creation of these. As to assigning keys to keyboards, that is beyond my pay grade. i just sling drinks here.

Well, it should be a fun ride--helping people learn, and keeping their interest high while we wait to see what the language shapes up like. Comicon will be insane this year--and I predict a LOT of squabbling over Na'vi, but the costumes will be fun to see. I should buy my ticket early, as this will be THE YEAR for Avatar. I am assuming the DVD will be out in time of course.
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

omängum fra'uti

From what I understand, the time to "buy your ticket early" is already past, as Saturday is already sold out.

I've actually toyed with the idea of throwing together a simple Na'vi costume...  (Well, an avatar costume, because I don't feel like chopping off a finger.)  I mean, anyone can paint themselves blue and go around with a tail and ears, but how many could do that AND speak Na'vi?  (And for bonus points, speak English with a Na'vi accent...  IE non-Na'vi sounds pronounced slightly off, ejecting leading/trailing plosive t/p/k, etc...)  My Na'vi vocabulary may be limited, but I suspect FAR less limited than most if not all people there.  (Unless Frommer shows up.)

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on January 24, 2010, 06:04:31 AM
From what I understand, the time to "buy your ticket early" is already past, as Saturday is already sold out.

I've actually toyed with the idea of throwing together a simple Na'vi costume...  (Well, an avatar costume, because I don't feel like chopping off a finger.)  I mean, anyone can paint themselves blue and go around with a tail and ears, but how many could do that AND speak Na'vi?  (And for bonus points, speak English with a Na'vi accent...  IE non-Na'vi sounds pronounced slightly off, ejecting leading/trailing plosive t/p/k, etc...)  My Na'vi vocabulary may be limited, but I suspect FAR less limited than most if not all people there.  (Unless Frommer shows up.)

Comicon: (Doh!) Yeah, it gets bigger every year. For some reason I keep believing that living in San Diego is a free pass to buy late. (Damned holidays)

Avatar: (Agreed. Not worth losing a finger over.) Look, the only reason I think it would be a bad idea for you to go as a uniltarontokx (I am not going to even check that--I either spelled that right, or I have once again proven my ignorance) is that (IMHO) you would be so completely disappointed. Your command of the language would cause the "casually interested' (and stoned hippies) to think you are from another planet. You would meet all kinds of people who made half-hearted attempts to look cool. Personally, I would pay scalper prices to see you show up at Cc and melt a few thousand synapses. I am sure some of us from LN will find our way there (I may have to work security or something to get my pass), and it would be tres cool to have representation there.

Bah! This dictionary creation is mundane, pedestrian, and mindless--er . . . not mindless at all actually, but it is boring me into sedation.

Pxasik! (that one I actually did have to look up) I need to do something other than work on vocab.

omängum fra'uti

I won't likely be at comicon, but I may make an appearance at wondercon (Run by the same people) and will definitely be at baycon (A nor-cal sci-fi convention)

Taronyu Ayunilyä Alahe

ahh this should be fun^^
but umm... it's late now.. (wrong time to check on crosswords)

I should remember to do it soon tho :D

irayo, ma smuktu.
ke plltxe ngeyä kawng tìrey lu

Rain

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on January 23, 2010, 11:12:35 PM
I made this for the mods, grammar police, grammar nazis, and anyone else who knows more Na'vi than I do (which is probably most people here).

I'd say "have fun! :)"

but that is not my purpose in creating this puzzle. My purpose is to inflict pain. If it is not hard enough I will endeavor to create one even worse.

http://www.dustywhite.net/temp/Navi crossword puzzle-2.pdf

At first I hated you but then I saw your wordbank. I Might be sadistic enough to try it...lol (gives you Karma)
"If there are self-made purgatories, then we shall all have to live in them."
-Spock, "This Side of Paradise"

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine