The Thomas Jefferson Hour 35 Words Project

Started by pspoutz, March 29, 2010, 02:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspoutz

New forum member here, but I read slate.com's excellent article about Na'vi (http://www.slate.com/id/2248683/) and couldn't help but think of an exciting and fun project for the Na'vi speaking community. A weekly radio show and podcast called the Thomas Jefferson Hour (http://www.jeffersonhour.org/) has an ongoing initiative called "The 35 Words Project," where they seek to enunciate the declaration of human rights from the preamble to the American Declaration of Independence in as many languages as possible. As the little blurb from the website belows shows, they already have a great number of languages, including Klingon. I think that if any members of the community wanted to take up the challenge of translating these 35 words into Na'vi and submitting them to the Thomas Jefferson Hour, it would be a tremendous addition to the Jefferson Hour's collection and an excellent chance to spread word of the Na'vi language more publicly. Think anyone might be interested?

- Patrick

From, http://www.jeffersonhour.org/

The 35 Words Project

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

The Thomas Jefferson Hour is gathering audio versions of the "35 Words" in as many different languages as possible for use in a future program.  Clay Jenkinson is asking for listeners who speak a foreign language and are willing to participate in this project to make a recording and send it to us.

You can email it directly to us or ask any questions you may have by clicking here:   The 35 Words  - or if you'd prefer you can call the Thomas Jefferson Hour phone line at 701-221-2425 and leave it on voicemail there.  Please be sure to speak clearly and leave your name and contact information.

Sincere thanks to all who have participated thus far.  We currently have audio versions in Slovak, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Hebrew, Polish, Hindi, Punjabi, Thai, Yiddish, Klingon, Dutch, Guarani, Twi (Ghana), Croatian, Chinese (Madarin), Amharic, Latin, Japanese, Russian, Urdu, Welsh, Finnish, Macedonian, Pennsylvania German, Koine Greek, Swedish, isiZulu, French, morse code, binary code, Farsi, Shanghainese, Mandarin, Romani, Tagalog and Afrikaans."

Tirea Aean

Yes this sounds like a great idea! We will just have go ask Paul Frommer about alot of the terms that are found in such US historical documents.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I know and have worked with Clay Jenkinson! Sounds like a lot of fun, but I am not sure I am the best Na`vi speaker yet.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

omängum fra'uti

Well a couple thoughts here on the translation in general.  First, great place to use the topic (Faysìngayri - These-truths-TOP).  Second, with all the "self evident, that XXX, that YYY, that ZZZ" it seems like for that you'd use futa or fwa (Depending on what verb was used for holding them to be self evident), then just keep repeating it.  For example "law lu, fwa XXX, sì fwa YYY, sì fwa ZZZ".  The reason for sì with the different clauses is because I'm seeing this as "law lu fì'u sì fì'u sì fì'u" with a subordinate for each fì'u.

As a very rough pass with our current vocab...

Faysìngayri oheru ayngengarusì luyu law, fwa sute nìwotx ngolop tengfya, (sì) fwa foru ngopyu feyä *sìmuiät terìng, (sì) fwa ayfì'ukip lu tìrey, (sì) *tìkespawne'e, sì tìfwusew tìnitramä.

About these truths, it is clear to us, that all people are created the same, that they are given by their creator rights, that among these are life, not-captured-ness, and seeking of happiness.

I think it could be vastly improved with some new vocabulary though.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Tirea Aean

Ngerop tengfya=are creating the same way. We want created the same way. Should we use ol? It doesnt mean past, but that the creating is completed. Nice one tho O.F.

omängum fra'uti

I was back and forth on er vs ol...  I was taking it from the perspective of creation being a habitual/repeated action, but perhaps it is better to take it from the individual perspective that creation is a complete event for each individual.

Ftiafpi

I totally support this and, once I get a little more free time, would love to help out with this. Stephen, you and I can fight over who gets to record it...

...oh! sudden awesome idea, what if we got a whole chorus of people pronouncing it! That would be awesome!

So, do you want me to send off an email to Karyu Pawl or has it already been taken care of?

omängum fra'uti

Quote from: Ftiafpi on March 29, 2010, 04:01:43 PM
I totally support this and, once I get a little more free time, would love to help out with this. Stephen, you and I can fight over who gets to record it...

...oh! sudden awesome idea, what if we got a whole chorus of people pronouncing it! That would be awesome!

So, do you want me to send off an email to Karyu Pawl or has it already been taken care of?
*whistles*

I just finished composing something about it to him, including my attempt and what I don't like about it.

NeotrekkerZ

Been wanting a word for freedom for a long time now.  Liberty would work quite well, if Frommer gave us vocab.
Rìk oe lu hufwemì, nìn fya'ot a oe tswayon!

Tirea Aean

NICE. hey I rly like the idea of loads of people saying it. I would LOVE to be in on that. if that idea ever gets put into action, plz let me know and ill get my mic that doesnt suck!

pspoutz

Happy to see all the interest. Looking forward to hearing Clay mention you guys on the TJ Hour and hearing the finished product. =] This is all really impressive.

omängum fra'uti

Thanks for bringing this up!  It seems like a fun little project.  Paul Frommer himself actually did something similar recently by submitting a Na'vi translation of the traditional Sedar questions.

Ftiafpi

What's happening with this and what do we need to get this done? Anyone know?

omängum fra'uti

Given the lack of vocabulary we'd probably still need Frommer's input.  He has not yet responded.