The Unofficial Na’vi Learner Survey

Started by Kame Ayyo’koti, July 09, 2015, 04:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vawmataw

Quote from: Tirea Aean on July 28, 2015, 12:03:14 PM
Oh, I see a sticky post in /beginners

Maybe we could use this also somewhere. Because I do kinda like it especially as a message to the intermediate smuk. Hmm :-\
It could apply to all the boards. The spamdom could be an exception concerning the language debates at some extent. The poetry, the texts the projects could also be exceptions if we still give a feedback. It's only my idea.

The reason why I want to publish an official guideline is that we will be more sure to keep the positive way in a couple of years. This thread and our ideas will eventually sink when new threads will be created. The old members will remember that, but how about the future members?

QuoteSo as I was moving some stuff around, I've been seeing recurring requests for simplicity as old as 2009 December.  People have been coming here and struggling to make sense of the technical tone of our documents and posts since day one.  I think this needs attention.  I'm on it but I don't want to do it alone. 

I'm making a guide but that's only one thing.
(PM me for edit access, I would love to have input by others in the community while developing this).
I'm also doing(slacking on) YouTube.  I'll try to keep the vids friendly and simple too.
(post on the thread to add suggestions and ideas)
:D Thanks for your reform.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Vawmataw

So, are there other problems to solve?
Edit:
* Vawmataw will check the survey results

Tirea Aean

I think it all just goes back to everyone being kind and being casual instead of technical, in all things.

Tstewa Ikrantsyìp

Mega - Na'vi - Booklet - Project (One Book to Rule Them All)
Unofficial Na'vi survey
Na'vi - Sign - Language - Project

Na'vi - Language - Book - Project

Kame Ayyo’koti

Quote from: Vawmataw on July 27, 2015, 06:14:39 PM
It's good to know our limits in the contribution of projects.
It is, although it frustrates me. I'm long on ideas, short on time and energy. Also, it's one thing when it's a personal project without real consequence, it's another when others depend on it. You guys need this information, so I feel more pressure.

It's good. :) Don't forget to add the additional answers. ;)
I haven't. :P I might wait until after it's closed to do the summeries, though. I'll make sure there's a finished product, however long it takes me.
"Your work is to discover your world, and then with all your heart give yourself to it."

Vawmataw

Quote from: Kame Ayyo'koti on July 28, 2015, 08:53:59 PM
It's good. :) Don't forget to add the additional answers. ;)
I haven't. :P I might wait until after it's closed to do the summeries, though.
This is what I meant. lol :)

Quote from: Kame Ayyo'koti on July 28, 2015, 08:53:59 PM
It's good to know our limits in the contribution of projects.
It is, although it frustrates me. I'm long on ideas, short on time and energy. Also, it's one thing when it's a personal project without real consequence, it's another when others depend on it. You guys need this information, so I feel more pressure.
*takes out a whip and a watch, waits until the deadline*
lol Don't worry. We can wait until you publish the last results. If you can't do that, there's still Tstewa.

Tirea Aean

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I try really hard (believe it or not!) to match the technical level of the learner, when I have an opportunity to teach. It is challenging for me sometimes, to not be too technical.

I seem to learn the most by writing and reading, and prefer learning grammar/syntax, etc. I have been led to believe that this kind of learning style is a lot less common than, say, visual learning. I also enjoy being taught by someone who can be quite technical.

The positive attitude part is easy!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tstewa Ikrantsyìp

ma Kame Ayyo'koti
just like Vawmataw said.
I am here for you, to help.
Unofficial Na'vi survey

Kame Ayyo’koti

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on July 29, 2015, 01:15:36 AM
I seem to learn the most by writing and reading, and prefer learning grammar/syntax, etc.
You and I seem to be in the same boat. :P

Something I've thought about: How can we incorporate the Na'vi culture into teaching and learning materials? I'm not as fascinated by the Na'vi, so when people talk about loving the culture I don't know exactly what they're referring to. But I think if we could it would make learning the language a much more potent experience for some people.
"Your work is to discover your world, and then with all your heart give yourself to it."

Vawmataw

QuoteHow can we incorporate the Na'vi culture into teaching and learning materials?
You've got a nice idea.

This is more a way of teaching. The students learns the language by the culture.

Tstewa Ikrantsyìp

I have a student who's more interested in the culture then the language, so it's definitely a different situation since it's the other way around. I have to find different ways to incorporate the language into the culture.
Unofficial Na'vi survey

Hahaw[hhvhhvcz]

Quote from: Vawmataw on July 29, 2015, 05:43:43 PM
QuoteHow can we incorporate the Na'vi culture into teaching and learning materials?
You've got a nice idea.

This is more a way of teaching. The students learns the language by the culture.
We can learn some culture from the Avatar as our presentation of laguage.
And as for me ,I learn some basic words/culture words from first Le'eylan's prezi here.

And what about using screenshots from Avatar as learning material?
Like this to learn parts of body or this and this to learn some colors.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)
  • Worth: $1551 ($396 with sales) (updated 17.3.16)
  • Games owned: 97
  • Games not played: 34 (35%)
  • Hours on record: 1,825.3h

Tstewa Ikrantsyìp

I intend to have them watch clips from the movie, and use resources like that for the body parts and colour as well.
I also intend to use several Paul 101 videos as well. :)
Unofficial Na'vi survey

Kame Ayyo’koti

The language does contain examples of the culture/philosophy in some of its words. For example the Na'vi live non-destructively within nature, and I think this is reflected in words like mäkxu. To destroy nature lu fwa kifkeyti mäkxu.

Another example is a line from Avatar where Neytiri refers to a viperwolf as oeyä tsmukan, not to mention the overall way she talks to it. Clearly the Na'vi have very familial feelings for other creatures. This is another example of the culture reflected in language.

We could ask people what they really love about the culture. It can be hard to put one's finger on it, but we could ask them for examples, like scenes from the movie, etc. Then we could try to find how the language represents those things.

Quote from: Tstewa Ikrantsyìp on July 29, 2015, 07:59:13 PM
I intend to have them watch clips from the movie
I haven't actually watched the movie since I began learning the language. :-X At first I just didn't think of it, but then when I realized I decided not to watch it again until I know it very thoroughly. I'm looking forward to it, since I expect it will be a very different experience. :D I still have more to learn, so I might put it off until before the next movie comes out. (I just remembered it will come out late 2017, so maybe not that long.)
[/offtopic]

EDIT: What a coincidence that I found this:
QuoteThe new Avatar movie will mostly focus on the Na'vi culture rather than the Na'vi-human hybrids.
We have a lot to look forward to, then!

Kame Ayyo’koti

I've closed the survey. I will update the results after breakfast.

Kame Ayyo’koti

Results updated. Click links in OP post.

We had 45 submissions total.

Summeries coming later.

Kame Ayyo’koti

Summaries of custom answers in multiple-choice questions have been added. (They appear below the charts/tables under Other answers given.) I'm only going to add summaries to the PDF document; they will not appear in the spreadsheet.

(Bets on whether this thing surpasses 200 pages...)

Tstewa Ikrantsyìp

it depends on whether the summaries are for individual answers or overall for the survey itself :P but it has the potential to be a lot more then 200
Unofficial Na'vi survey

Kame Ayyo’koti

Quote from: Tstewa Ikrantsyìp on August 01, 2015, 09:55:39 PM
it depends on whether the summaries are for individual answers or overall for the survey itself :P but it has the potential to be a lot more then 200
There will be one summary for each open-ended question. I also want to add some extra stuff like explanations and a thank-you section, so it's probably gonna be more than 200. :P