The Unofficial Na’vi Learner Survey

Started by Kame Ayyo’koti, July 09, 2015, 04:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tstewa Ikrantsyìp

Mega - Na'vi - Booklet - Project (One Book to Rule Them All)
Unofficial Na'vi survey
Na'vi - Sign - Language - Project

Na'vi - Language - Book - Project

Kame Ayyo’koti

There's something I just realized.

We had 45 submissions, most of whom said they were happy with the community. But there are a lot less than 45 day-to-day participants.

Why is that?

Unfortunately the survey didn't contain questions for why anyone chooses not to actively participate on the forum. (If a new survey was done, questions regarding this might be good to ask.) The reasons could be several. Some people might just be interested in obtaining information about the language, without a desire to participate in the community. Or they might be content as lurkers.

Makes me think of this. In any case, it's just an observation.
"Your work is to discover your world, and then with all your heart give yourself to it."

Vawmataw

QuoteUnfortunately the survey didn't contain questions for why anyone chooses not to actively participate on the forum.
Yes we totally forgot.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Vawmataw

What are the questions we forgot to talk about?

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Kame Ayyo'koti on August 06, 2015, 10:35:36 PM
There's something I just realized.

We had 45 submissions, most of whom said they were happy with the community. But there are a lot less than 45 day-to-day participants.

Why is that?

Unfortunately the survey didn't contain questions for why anyone chooses not to actively participate on the forum. (If a new survey was done, questions regarding this might be good to ask.) The reasons could be several. Some people might just be interested in obtaining information about the language, without a desire to participate in the community. Or they might be content as lurkers.

Makes me think of this. In any case, it's just an observation.

I noticed this too.  Interesting.  I assumed the answer was one or a combo of these:

A) lurking is sufficient
B) Too shy to post
C) Not sure what to post
D) Only came to learn some quick answers and left
E) Preferring IM services or Social Media like Facebook over forums
F) Not enough time to be active on an internet forum

Maybe others?

That 90-9-1 rule seem to be pretty legit.  Even this place we see the number of active guests vs. users logged in vs. users who are insanely active logged in.

Wllìm

Quote from: Vawmataw
The second part of the survey is available there: ---- Edit 2: link removed as the source has been deleted....

Wait a moment, isn't it better to first collect more questions we'd like to ask for a second survey? Otherwise we'll again notice we forgot questions afterwards...

Also, I'm not sure if it is a good idea to do a second survey at all, so quickly after the first one... :-\

Kame Ayyo’koti

Just for the record Vawmataw's survey has nothing to do with our own. I didn't even know about it until he posted the link.

Quote from: Wllìm on August 07, 2015, 12:29:05 PM
Wait a moment, isn't it better to first collect more questions we'd like to ask for a second survey? Otherwise we'll again notice we forgot questions afterwards...

Also, I'm not sure if it is a good idea to do a second survey at all, so quickly after the first one... :-\
I thought about doing a second survey, because as the first one got underway I realized it had some flaws and there were important questions I hadn't thought to ask. Perhaps we should have taken more time to design it, but once it was live I didn't want to skew the data in any way by changing it.

I have thought of a few new questions, but not enough for a new survey. I don't have any plans for a second survey at this time.
"Your work is to discover your world, and then with all your heart give yourself to it."

Tìtstewan

Mod note: Per request, I've splitted that post out of this thread. Please continue the discussion about the second survey here.

EDIT: As the author of the "second survey" has deleted his survey, I've removed the previously created topic.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Vawmataw

Quote from: Tìtstewan on August 07, 2015, 03:47:07 PM
EDIT: As the author of the "second survey" has deleted his survey, I've removed the previously created topic.
Thank you very much.

Kame Ayyo’koti

I've been taking a break since I was pretty stressed when I last posted in this thread. I haven't forgotten about the work that still needs to be done.

I've been reading some articles about community building. These articles are more for companies and brands, but what they say is still applicable. I think their ideas might help us (check out the links in them, too):
http://ejewishphilanthropy.com/why-do-so-many-online-communities-fail/
http://influitive.com/blog/why-most-online-communities-are-destined-to-fail/
http://www.communityspark.com/the-reason-why-online-communities-fail/
EDIT: This one is interesting, too: http://www.communityspark.com/warning-power-members-may-actually-harm-your-community/

Tstewa Ikrantsyìp

what are some of your ideas after reading this?
I'd be more than happy to help with any plan you have.
Unofficial Na'vi survey

Vawmataw

Well, we probably need to improve the relations between the beginners and the more advanced people. Some solutions have already been proposed.

Tstewa Ikrantsyìp

Hmmm. I've got an idea that just might work....
i'll think on it some more. and i might make a new thread concerning my idea in the next day or so...
keep your eyes peeled (not literally)
Unofficial Na'vi survey