Translating Foruminterface into Na'vi

Started by 'eylan na'viyä, February 05, 2010, 05:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

'eylan na'viyä

Kaltxì ma frapo

"History":
first i'm summing up the german starting thread: http://forum.learnnavi.org/off-topic/forumsoftware-in-navi/msg71132/#msg71132
I thought it would be cool if the members of Learn Na'vi had the ability to choose Na'vi in as forumlanguage.
I knew that some words will be hard to translate and that it would likely take a long time to translate everything.
Then Yomìheyu had the great idea to create a greasemonkey-script. thus there is no need to modify the forum and everyone can modify+try the script by himself. teri Irayo nìtxan
The script he made already translated some parts of the page.
Then i modified it slightly and added many new translations.
you can download it at the end of this post.

installation(English):
-you need firefox with greasemonkey-addon //greasemokeyscripts (or generally userscripts) might work on other browsers too
-then click on the downloadlink of the script. if you are not yet asked to install it, download it and the drag'n'drop it into the browserwindow.
-forumlanguage needs to be set to english
-refresh the page and the you should see(after 1-2 seconds) a partially translated interface
-you can switch it off/on with the greasemonky logo in the statusbar

Installation(Deutsch):
-Man benötigt Firefox und das greasemonkey addon   //Greasemokeyskripte (oder allgemein userskripte) laufen möglicherweise auch mit anderen browsern
-Klicke dann auf den downloadlink des scriptes. Wenn du dann noch nicht gefragt wirst es zu installieren, lade es herunter und ziehe es in das browserfenster
-Die Spracheeinstellung für das Forum muss auf englisch gestellt werden
-Lade die Seite neu und du solltest (nach 1-2 Sekunden) ein teilweise übersetztes interface sehen
-Du kannst es einfach ein und ausschalten indem du auf das greasemonkey logo in der Statusleiste klickst

txawmulamì(Na'vi):
fmäpivi ayngal  :P
*interfaysì to fìkem lu ftue

problems:
-it takes some time until the text is exchanged by the translation (~1 second when its loaded)
-sometimes there are a few positive false translation (words get Na'vi-ified where they shouldnt)
-sometimes some translations dont work

modifications:
at the moment the translation ist sometimes very free/rough/incomplete.
feel free to post your own modifications, suggestions or corrections. the script is easy to modify.
you can use any texteditor you want. i prefer notepadpp.

here is the NEWEST version of the script:
created by Yomìheyu, heavyly extended by 'eylan na'viyä
Edit: again some new entries, still unfortunately not every translation works as it should but its a little better now

'eylan na'viyä

There is a newer version now.

Please don't take the translations too seriously. Some of the words are not confirmed or the usage is maybe not appropriate but if you find errors or have a better translation please tell me.

'eylan na'viyä

minor changes

Nanaki

'Itan Atxur : Just remember, NO idea is too crazy <3

Then everything changed ... I fell in love. I fell in love with the - with the forest, with the Omaticaya people... with you...
Don't thank! You don't thank for this! This is sad... VERY sad only!

'eylan na'viyä

and another update
bugs:
i noticed that some translations dont work when you view a topic that you created.
sometimes there are false positives, so dont be confused when some words are replaced where it shouldnd.

'eylan na'viyä

I added some translations again.
the updated version can be downloaded from the first post

Older versions got deleted. always download from the first posting

judytuna

This is fun! Thanks for sharing! Have you considered doing the same for other sites, like Facebook? (Would creating new Greasemonkey thingies for other sites work?)

'eylan na'viyä

Irayo, tsati stolawm oel a fì'ut oeru prrte' lu

I know that this is doable but i don't know much about greasemokeyscripts. i only added/changed translations of this script and did slight modifications in the code but i dont know how to set up such a script, especially if it should work correctly, reliably and for every position in the page. if you take a look at this script you would see that some of the translations dont work at all or in the wrong place.

But if someone wants to learn how to do it there is plenty of material on this site http://userscripts.org/

judytuna

I poked around on Facebook a little more, and they do have an official Translate app, where they allow any user to translate strings into their language, and the translations are submitted for peer review. The thing is, Facebook has to add the language to the list of languages that this is available for. The language goes through a phase where it's being "translated and reviewed", and after the complete translation is verified, it goes "live." So obviously for Na'vi, it cannot hope to go live for some time yet since it's still developing so quickly, but I would at least LOVE to see it added to the list of languages that anybody can work on. I'm assuming that even when it's still in the "being translated and reviewed" stage, users may be able to choose to view Facebook in that language, which would be awesome. I wrote a post on the Translate app's discussion board http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=14667&uid=4329892722 , but I don't know if that's the best way to get Facebook's attention, or what the "official" channels for requesting a new language be added are.

They have Esperanto in the list, so Na'vi, as a fellow constructed language, should be OK in this list too! They even have English (Pirate) (which I've used before), and Leet Speak.

Anyway, that's it for the derail. Thank you for the work you've done here, on the forum interface, and for the info on Greasemonkey. This is really fun. =)

Edited to add: Ok, I just found the Klingon entry in the Facebook Translate app http://www.facebook.com/translations/#!/translations/?aloc=tl_ST
Now there's no excuse for them not to add Na'vi as a language for us to translate. =)

'eylan na'viyä

Although i don't use facebook as my socialnetworking site i think its a great idea.
And if it is possible to use a builtin translationtool for such a website that would be much more relyable and clean than with greasemonkey. So i hope they will add Na'vi to their language list

Yeya Swizaw

Is there any way of contacting them and asking about it?
"Everybody loves me... except people who don't"
  "Oe yawne lu frapor... oe ke lu suteru mungwrr"

Letxepa tirea

How about Google Tran? That would be better in my opinion because then you can search for websites in english and Google tran will translate them into what ever language you want.

Oe zola'u, Oe tsole'a, Oe skola'a

'eylan na'viyä

Google translation would require automated grammar translation. Allthough Na'vi is logical and still theoretically quite easy to parse it would still require translation between all available languages. I dont think google would add it or open the platform

Yeya Swizaw

Isn't there also a way to translate the whole google interface into a language, too?

EDIT: YAY! 100th post!

'eylan na'viyä

i think its only possible with greasemonkey but that cannnot include the translation feature

Yeya Swizaw

http://www.google.co.uk/language_tools?hl=en

Scroll down a bit, and choose your language! (Klingon is there, but not Na'vi (yet))

'eylan na'viyä

Quote from: Yeya Swizaw on March 27, 2010, 03:31:15 PM
http://www.google.co.uk/language_tools?hl=en

Scroll down a bit, and choose your language! (Klingon is there, but not Na'vi (yet))

irayo,
i looked in at the wrong place for that first.
looks like its possible then ...

i registered and went on this site
http://www.google.com/transconsole/giyl/chooseProject and took the link to the discussion page:
http://groups.google.com/group/google.public.translators/topics
but it seems that there is no new entry since 2 years, maybe the discussion page has moved?

Yeya Swizaw

Looks like we won't be getting Google Na'vi :(

Payoang

Yeya Swizaw

Is there something you're not telling us?