Translator @ReactOS looking for 5-10 Na'vi translators, anybody interested?

Started by Wakoyantanke, November 29, 2011, 08:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakoyantanke

Hi!

I am Wakoyantanke and I'm a rookie translator for the open source project ReactOS.  Which is an operating system clone of Windows NT just like Linux once began as a clone of UNIX a long time ago.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS

I am interested in translating the ReactOS operating system into Na'vi.
The thing is that it is really easy being the first translator because then you could just "google translate" things like crazy and without judgement and without anybody else around that can object to what you do especially when it comes to minority languages.

Then when the second translator comes by and try to proofread things they will have a much harder time.  The process will take at least 3 times as long.  Since they will have to decrypt the fantasy language into English and then investigate if it's properly translated into Na'vi.  You get the point!

Doing it right from day one
So I thought if I want to translate a fantasy language that is considered a minority compared to other countries.  Then I need at least 5-10 Na'vi translators who should approve the translations from day one before it is programmed into the operating system.
Thus making things easier for any translator that comes after me in the ReactOS project.  Because then they will know that at least 5-10 people has proofread every file that has been translated.

So anybody interested in helping me?

(I'll deal with the technical and bureaucratic stuff, and you just deal with the linguistic stuff.)

Tirea Aean

Hello there!

Well, that sounds awesome! Actually we have a person or two talking about translating Ubuntu into na'vi.

As I have told this person and anyone else in the computer fields, Na'vi is not the best choice of a language to translate an operating system into. There are tons of words that do not exist that are needed for an operating system / computer. The Na'vi people are a (seemingly) simplistic tribal culture, so basically, your translations will either be poorly spelled english, or extremely longwinded workaround translations.

I love the idea of a Na'vi locale or operating system, but I just don't see it being really well translated. :(

BUT if you STILL feel like doing this, I'm here on my spare time to help out with this.

Wakoyantanke

Quote from: Tirea Aean on November 29, 2011, 11:21:05 PM
There are tons of words that do not exist that are needed for an operating system / computer. The Na'vi people are a (seemingly) simplistic tribal culture, so basically, your translations will either be poorly spelled english, or extremely longwinded workaround translations.

I love the idea of a Na'vi locale or operating system, but I just don't see it being really well translated. :(

Yeah I discovered that when I wanted to translate the word Windows using Na'vi dictionary.  But it doesn't matter since Na'vi people are connected to nature more than technology then they shouldn't adapt and invent human words.  The Na'vi culture should stay true to its character.

This is the closest interpretation I could find for window.  But personally I'm satisfied with it, but that's why I think it's good to have 5-10 Na'vi translators next to me that can discuss and vote for the best way to describe something that's not directly listed in the Na'vi dictionary.

piak [pi.ˈak̚] adj. Open, clear (for cloudless skies)

piak si [pi.ˈak̚ s·i] vin. Open

txayo [ˈt'a.jo] n. Field, open terrain, plain

Wakoyantanke's TODO list
My todo list to make this operation work most efficent.

1.  Find 5-10 interested Na'vi translators on "forum.learnnavi.org"
2.  Then persuade ReactOS forum to create a Na'vi sub-forum, for me to organize the files better.
3.  Then persuade "forum.learnnavi.org" to create a project sub-forum, for me to organize the files better.

Because ReactOS contain more than 100 translation files that needs to be patrolled and proofread even when it is finished.

4.  Then it's possible to start translating and submit the patches to the /svn/reactos trunk!

Tirea Aean

cool. but if you choose adj. piak, that means open which could be confused with open  as in open source or something.

there is no word for window, nor glass, nor words for shapes, so you cant even say square glass.

some popular words i also cant think of a good way to say:
keyboard
mouse
monitor
CPU
desktop

but i definitely agree that having 10 or so people on this, more ideas can  be brainstormed, developed and a decent best compromise can be made for such words.

I shall tell others about this.

Tsmuktengan

Welcome ma Wakoyantanke.

I think this proposal is great. I do not have enough time and knowledge currently to translate in Na'vi, and there are the issues Tirea Aean talks about concerning modern words that need to be sorted out. But I think such a project and someone like you helping to realize it should not be missed.

I'll look at this. As a Linux user and a computer science student, I know about ReactOS since some time now (I even already registered on the site). I need to test this OS again to see how it has evolved.

Wakoyantanke

Quote from: Tsmuktengan on November 30, 2011, 08:39:24 AM
I need to test this OS again to see how it has evolved.
From an end user perspective it hasn't evolved much  :)  it's still in alpha stage, bleeding edge technology not something you can use for daily work.
But from the developer's perspective looking under the hood much has happened since ReactOS finally got accepted to participate in GSOC 2011 (Google Summer of Codes) after many many years of disqualification.

But with the help and support from the Na'vi tribes I'm certain that the situation can change really quick for end users around the world.  ;)

Swoka Ikran

This would be cool :) Based on the screen shot gallery, ReactOS has come a long way since I last used it.

TA mentioned the major problem with a Na'vi translation...lack of words. I ran into the same problem when I asked someone to translate a small program that I published somewhere here.
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Wakoyantanke

QuoteWakoyantanke's TODO list
My todo list to make this operation work most efficent.

1.  Find 5-10 interested Na'vi translators on "forum.learnnavi.org"
2.  Then persuade ReactOS forum to create a Na'vi sub-forum, for me to organize the files better.
3.  Then persuade "forum.learnnavi.org" to create a project sub-forum, for me to organize the files better.

Because ReactOS contain more than 100 translation files that needs to be patrolled and proofread even when it is finished.

4.  Then it's possible to start translating and submit the patches to the /svn/reactos trunk!

It looks like the bureaucrats in the ReactOS forum isn't going to create a Na'vi sub-forum for me to organize the files.  :(
They require at least 30 Na'vis regular users to open a Na'vi subforum.
Next step then...

Can I get a "ReactOS translation" project sub-forum here at learnnavi.org to better organize the files and discussions?
Who do I need to contact to make this happen?

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Wakoyantanke on November 30, 2011, 08:33:03 PM
Can I get a "ReactOS translation" project sub-forum here at learnnavi.org to better organize the files and discussions?
Who do I need to contact to make this happen?

Send a personal message to either "Payoang" and/or "Toruk Makto"

Tsmuktengan

This could be a good start, as it could be nice to translate projects we may use into Na'vi (thinking about Twitter or other open source projects...).

Wakoyantanke

"Payoang" and "Toruk Makto" hasn't responded to my PM, and I'm getting no from all directions on ReactOS when it comes to do things my recommended way.  :(

So I might have to use my own forum as a pseudo storing point in combination with learnnavi.org to organize the translation files.  And scatter this forum with several hundreds of translation threads to connect with you the Na'vi linguists.  To make things happen at yesterday o'clock.

I might need 1-3 weeks to study up on some of the ReactOS svn source code before I commence step 4.

4.  Then it's possible to start translating with the Na'vi linguists and submit the patches to the /svn/reactos trunk!

Tsmuktengan

Leave them the time to answer. Payoang for example is extremely busy. Be patient.

akiwiguy

I'm interested!
I use ReactOS all the time in VMs for playing around and even had it running quite well on real hardware at one point. I would love to have it in Na'vi!

Wakoyantanke

Great!   :D

4 Na'vi linguists so far now I only need 26 more.  In order to prove to the ReactOS forum mods that there actually are at least 30 living people that uses this language.

Then they said I might get permission to open up a Na'vi language sub-forum in ReactOS forum for proper documentation and validation purposes.

Tsmuktengan

akiwiguy

I think the amount of people actively discussing stuff in the Na'vi ni'aw section should be proof enough that there are more than 30 people who can speak the language :D

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Wakoyantanke on December 04, 2011, 04:05:47 PM
Great!   :D

4 Na'vi linguists so far now I only need 26 more.  In order to prove to the ReactOS forum mods that there actually are at least 30 living people that uses this language.

Then they said I might get permission to open up a Na'vi language sub-forum in ReactOS forum for proper documentation and validation purposes.

finding 26 proficient people (willing to participate in this) is quite the task. Most here are beginners, or believe themselves to be beginners. I know they're out there... somewhere.

Tsmuktengan

So, is there something getting started? I hear no news about this.

Tsmuktengan

Quote from: Tsmuktengan on December 12, 2011, 01:32:57 PM
So, is there something getting started? I hear no news about this.

OK so this idea now seems dead, never mind.

akiwiguy

Well, we need to get a decent amount of people signed up before we can go anywhere, really.