VrrtepCLI

Started by Tirea Aean, May 22, 2011, 03:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tirea Aean

by the way, I heavily changed listscramble(lyst). and also made it so scramble on windows only uses words without ì and ä. (cant remember if i said that already)

I'm on the fence about affix recognition. It would be nice, but eh... it's proving sort of ridiculous. (plus, no one types words with - and <>, which are required for recognition.)

Also, I'm thinking of making a separate package which only includes the quiz game and scramble game.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Tirea Aean on May 29, 2011, 03:01:59 AM
by the way, I heavily changed listscramble(lyst). and also made it so scramble on windows only uses words without ì and ä. (cant remember if i said that already)
You did say that. Kä'eng showed me how to fix the scramble game's unicode support, so the limited wordset isn't needed anymore. It now works beautifully on non-localized Windows. :)

Turns out the fix for scramble was right under my nose the whole time.

When the listscramble() change is done, can I have it so I can add it? I'm also working on the looping so you can put words on the command line like you can in Linux....

I'm on the fence about affix recognition. It would be nice, but eh... it's proving sort of ridiculous. (plus, no one types words with - and <>, which are required for recognition.)
Agreed...nobody would type the words with - <> ...It'd be most useful if I could type tayaron and be told "will hunt" or at least "hunt (future tense)".

Also, I'm thinking of making a separate package which only includes the quiz game and scramble game.
Why? It won't save much in terms of program size...and most users probably want the dictionary more than the games anyway.
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on May 29, 2011, 11:41:14 AM
You did say that. Kä'eng showed me how to fix the scramble game's unicode support, so the limited wordset isn't needed anymore. It now works beautifully on non-localized Windows. :)

Turns out the fix for scramble was right under my nose the whole time.

Hey, understandable. but it seems for the most part you know what you are doing or are able to figure out what you are doing quickly. by now you realize that python really is not a difficult language to get the hang of. maybe some little things here and there such as this. \rant

When the listscramble() change is done, can I have it so I can add it? I'm also working on the looping so you can put words on the command line like you can in Linux....
I will attach my most recent linux build in a few sec after commenting some stuff out. (I'll send you just the source files, not any of the text files the user has to read after you send me the windows version, as per usual. ;) )

Agreed...nobody would type the words with - <> ...It'd be most useful if I could type tayaron and be told "will hunt" or at least "hunt (future tense)".

In that case, I think I'm gonna abandon affix recognition for now. it's just proving to be a cba thing for the user.

even I cba to type vrtepcli "tì-t<us>aron"

Why? It won't save much in terms of program size...and most users probably want the dictionary more than the games anyway.

good point. nevermind then.

edit to come.

EDIT: current linux source attached.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Tirea Aean on May 29, 2011, 05:41:24 PM
Hey, understandable. but it seems for the most part you know what you are doing or are able to figure out what you are doing quickly. by now you realize that python really is not a difficult language to get the hang of. maybe some little things here and there such as this. \rant
Yeah. It's not too bad to figure out. :) Last Sunday was the first time I used Python, so...

I will attach my most recent linux build in a few sec after commenting some stuff out. (I'll send you just the source files, not any of the text files the user has to read after you send me the windows version, as per usual. ;) )
Got them :) Omitting the dictionary files and docs makes this thing MUCH smaller. Just one question:

Are there any important changes aside from the scramble fixes? A quick look didn't reveal anything aside from affix code, but I don't want to leave anything out :)

In that case, I think I'm gonna abandon affix recognition for now. it's just proving to be a cba thing for the user.

even I cba to type vrtepcli "tì-t<us>aron"
Yeah, neither could I.

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Tirea Aean

yeah xD

I did update everything a bit. you might wanna go through and windows-ify everything just to make sure.

oh PS did Kä'eng's idea help with IPA support for -l on windows?

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Tirea Aean on May 29, 2011, 06:57:28 PM
I did update everything a bit. you might wanna go through and windows-ify everything just to make sure.
Ugh...not gonna be fun. Got to fix quite a bit...

Quote from: Tirea Aean on May 29, 2011, 06:57:28 PM
oh PS did Kä'eng's idea help with IPA support for -l on windows?
His fix isn't applicable to that. :(

I'll take a look at it again though.

EDIT: Conversion of new version is going quite well :) It's a lot easier to fix things when you already know what's broken. :P I've already got most of it done...still need to squish a Unicode bug that cropped up in the Na'vi->English dictionary, and finish some looping code.

Swoka Ikran

Alright, finished converting the new version :D Here it is: http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/files/vcli_win.zip - Standalone and source included. Hopefully I got everything, since I had to redo the unicode in the entire program. The included docs are old, so you'll probably want to update them. Also, you may want to give some credit to Kä'eng for the scramble fix (I already did so in the source)...

Changes are as follows: Included all changes from Linux version, re-did Unicode support, scramble now works on Windows, and squished a Unicode bug in the dictionary.

Only known issue is a lack of support for some non-English OSes. These users must change locale to US English or set their console font to Lucida.

Blue Elf

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on May 29, 2011, 11:06:23 PM
Alright, finished converting the new version :D Here it is: http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/files/vcli_win.zip - Standalone and source included. Hopefully I got everything, since I had to redo the unicode in the entire program. The included docs are old, so you'll probably want to update them. Also, you may want to give some credit to Kä'eng for the scramble fix (I already did so in the source)...

Changes are as follows: Included all changes from Linux version, re-did Unicode support, scramble now works on Windows, and squished a Unicode bug in the dictionary.
Thanks for these fixes, ma Ikran, good job!
Only known issue is a lack of support for some non-English OSes. These users must change locale to US English or set their console font to Lucida.
So, only one of these two steps is needed or both? Setting only console font is better for me

Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Tirea Aean

hey guys, I found an error in the quiz game score accumulator. here's the fixed quiz.py

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Blue Elf on May 30, 2011, 12:49:22 AM
Thanks for these fixes, ma Ikran, good job!
You're welcome. Let me know how it works :)

Quote from: Blue Elf on May 30, 2011, 12:49:22 AM
So, only one of these two steps is needed or both? Setting only console font is better for me
One or the other. The Lucidia Console font should support the ä and ì in foreign locales since it's TrueType.

You can change your console font by right clicking the title bar of the console window and going to properties->Font tab->Select Lucidia Console and pick a font size->OK. If it asks to choose "current window" or "save for future windows with same title"...save it so you don't have to do it every time you use vCLI.

Quote from: Tirea Aean on May 30, 2011, 12:56:57 AM
hey guys, I found an error in the quiz game score accumulator. here's the fixed quiz.py
I just updated http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/files/vcli_win.zip with the fixed quiz.py :) To those who've downloaded this for testing, please re-download it to get the quiz fix.

Tirea Aean

LOL

I fail. Sorry, I uploaded the wrong file. the one you really want is this one. :S

again, sorry bout that.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Tirea Aean on May 30, 2011, 02:41:17 AM
LOL

I fail. Sorry, I uploaded the wrong file. the one you really want is this one. :S

again, sorry bout that.
No problem. :) Also, a tip for the Linux version ;): Your current code divides by zero and crashes if you quit on the first question.

elif answer == 5:
    if count == 0:
        correct = correct + 1 #Is this supposed to be count?
        count = count + 1 #Added this to prevent division by zero
    score = correct / count * 100
    break

EDIT: http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/files/vcli_win.zip updated with the correct quiz.py, and as above, added one line to ensure that count is never 0.

Tirea Aean

I caught the zero division error. if you did too, I'll take this and upload.

it *WAS* supposed to be count. the correct +=1 line was the mistake. it needed to be replaced. I did so in the lin version.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Tirea Aean on May 30, 2011, 11:47:47 AM
I caught the zero division error. if you did too, I'll take this and upload.

it *WAS* supposed to be count. the correct +=1 line was the mistake. it needed to be replaced. I did so in the lin version.
The corrected quiz.py you uploaded 2 posts ago still has the mistake in it. I caught the division by zero during testing though, so I fixed it :)

You can use the version from my last post :)

Tirea Aean

but that other line doesn't need to be there, and in fact should NOT be there.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Tirea Aean on May 30, 2011, 12:33:24 PM
but that other line doesn't need to be there, and in fact should NOT be there.
I removed it. :) If it's giving Score 1 / 1 (100%) when you quit on the first question, re-download it, rutxe.

Tirea Aean

ah sweet. so good to go then. up to the site it goes. also did some slight editing to post 1.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Tirea Aean on May 30, 2011, 12:49:44 PM
ah sweet. so good to go then. up to the site it goes. also did some slight editing to post 1.
Looks good to me :)

Awpo tupe uniltìranyu

Try downloading python
http://www.python.org/download/

then test it on windows

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Awpo tupe uniltìranyu on May 30, 2011, 10:13:06 PM
Try downloading python
http://www.python.org/download/

then test it on windows

I use that version on windows. It works fine. Did you download Python less than 3.0? it needs to be Python 2.7 or 2.6

Use the Standalone version if you are having Python download/compatibility troubles.

ALso, are you on win 32 or 64 bit?