VrrtepCLI

Started by Tirea Aean, May 22, 2011, 03:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Elf

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on May 30, 2011, 01:14:28 AM
Quote from: Blue Elf on May 30, 2011, 12:49:22 AM
Thanks for these fixes, ma Ikran, good job!
You're welcome. Let me know how it works :)

Quote from: Blue Elf on May 30, 2011, 12:49:22 AM
So, only one of these two steps is needed or both? Setting only console font is better for me
One or the other. The Lucidia Console font should support the ä and ì in foreign locales since it's TrueType.

You can change your console font by right clicking the title bar of the console window and going to properties->Font tab->Select Lucida Console and pick a font size->OK. If it asks to choose "current window" or "save for future windows with same title"...save it so you don't have to do it every time you use vCLI.
Seems to be working well - default locale set to Czech, font = Lucida and äì is recognized correctly.
Good job boys, this tool is most useful I've found here. +1 for both of you. :)
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Tirea Aean

Eywa'eveng-tìranyu

Good work. 8)

Two things:
- case sensitivity:
example:
@ubuntu:~/vrrtepcli$ ./vrrtepcli.sh -l -eng o
Vrrtep CLI v1.9 by Tirea Aean. run 'vrrtepcli -h' for usage.

Query matches:

@ubuntu:~/vrrtepcli$ ./vrrtepcli.sh -l -eng O
Vrrtep CLI v1.9 by Tirea Aean. run 'vrrtepcli -h' for usage.

Query matches:
part. ma

- Quiz: If your answer is wrong, it just says Kehe, but does not display what would have been the right answer.

EDIT:

-Scramble game: I don't know if it's possible to remove ambiguities?
like this:

EDIT 2: another bug(?) from the scramble game:

I knew way was the only word to fit, so I tried all other possible combinations of a,w and y and at last I tried way again.

Tirea Aean

case sensitivity is a very easy fix.

As for ambiguity in the scramble game... I was playing and a word came up something like

tlue

i typed eltu, got it wrong, typed ulte and got it right. they are direct anagrams. there's nothing I can really do to resolve this without giving the answer away with the translation(a somewhat tough implementation as well). pefya and fyape and -pe+ words... it's probably not possible unless I tell it to remove all words ENDING in -pe OR STARTING in pe+. The scramble game has always been brutal. The quiz game though not so much.

Eywa'eveng-tìranyu

Quote from: Tirea Aean on May 31, 2011, 10:48:47 AM
case sensitivity is a very easy fix.

As for ambiguity in the scramble game... I was playing and a word came up something like

tlue

i typed eltu, got it wrong, typed ulte and got it right. they are direct anagrams. there's nothing I can really do to resolve this without giving the answer away with the translation(a somewhat tough implementation as well). pefya and fyape and -pe+ words... it's probably not possible unless I tell it to remove all words ENDING in -pe OR STARTING in pe+. The scramble game has always been brutal. The quiz game though not so much.

Yes, there are only two (four) words that are ambiguous: ftxey (choose, whether) and au (expression of consternation, some instrument).
I don't think it's likely one of it to come and the two possible translations, too.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Blue Elf on May 31, 2011, 03:14:19 AM
Seems to be working well - default locale set to Czech, font = Lucida and äì is recognized correctly.
Good job boys, this tool is most useful I've found here. +1 for both of you. :)
Irayo! Good to see it's working for you :)

@Eywa'eveng-tìranyu:
As TA said, ambiguity is something not easily fixed. Think of this: If I gave you a handful of Scrabble tiles, chances are you can make more than one valid word out of them.

The program would need to accept every possible word that could be made using all of the letters shown.
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Tirea Aean

Might as well make an anagram game now... ;D

Eywa'eveng-tìranyu

another word:
:(

EDIT: Oops.  ::)

Tirea Aean

that one was your typo, dude. ;)

EDIT: but perhaps I can take from this that maybe it shouldn't increment question count every time you misspell  the word or get it wrong, but just the first time. that's the problem with using percentages. it used to be a points system: +1 for correct, -1 every time you get it wrong, and it prompts you till you get it right, -1 for ans. so it was not uncommon to have very negative scores.

I like percentages for the quiz game. does percentage score make sense on scramble? the quiz game doesn't keep asking you till you get it right. therefore percentage makes sense. I could maybe make it so scramble is more like quiz in that it doesnt keep asking you until you're right. Also, as a couple people pointed out, I'd like to display the correct answer after you get it wrong on quiz, and if I change scramble, I'll do it there too. but if you didn't know, choice 4 on quiz is the answer, and ans is the answer to the scramble. (all in the README)

hmm...

Blue Elf

It is possible to add a new command into scramble game, which tells translation of the scrambled word? It would be usefull if one (me  :)) has no idea what word it could be. So ans is for answer, tran could be for showing translation.

Tirea Aean

I have taken care of case sensitive issue.
I have also taken care of scoring issue.
and also show answer after each wrong answer.
scramble no longer prompts every time you get wrong; it's more like quiz.
@Swoka Ikran newest linux src attached, will need to be completely windowsified. :\

Quote from: Blue Elf on May 31, 2011, 02:28:02 PM
It is possible to add a new command into scramble game, which tells translation of the scrambled word? It would be usefull if one (me  :)) has no idea what word it could be. So ans is for answer, tran could be for showing translation.

Implementing translate to the scramble game isn't an easy fix like the above. Try opening another command prompt for translating if you need it; vrrtepcli is already a translator.

Blue Elf

Quote from: Tirea Aean on May 31, 2011, 03:02:16 PM
Implementing translate to the scramble game isn't an easy fix like the above. Try opening another command prompt for translating if you need it; vrrtepcli is already a translator.
HRH can it translate even scrambled word? :) I don't expect it. Forget about it, if not easy to fix - it just made me to study more

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Blue Elf on May 31, 2011, 04:08:08 PM
HRH can it translate even scrambled word? :) I don't expect it. Forget about it, if not easy to fix - it just made me to study more

no. I know what you meant. and what I meant was, have it translate the original word.

It's not hard because it's scrambled. it actually never gets rid of the original word. it's hard because the translating functions are not located in the scramble module. they are in the vrrtepcli main module. so that's kinda why I said if you want translations, keep two open and translate the words with vrrtepcli. If you want, I can make the timing between questions slower or even get rid of the timer and make the user press a key to advance if need be. (Because afaik, windows cmd history is wiped as soon as cls is used to clear the screen. linux terminal emulators can access the history after clear, but still...)

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Tirea Aean on May 31, 2011, 04:29:18 PM
(Because afaik, windows cmd history is wiped as soon as cls is used to clear the screen. linux terminal emulators can access the history after clear, but still...)
It is. You can't scroll back and see what used to be there after you CLS the console.

@Swoka Ikran newest linux src attached, will need to be completely windowsified. :\
Is it possible that you can you tell me just what you changed instead please?

Redoing everything is a VERY inefficient process that requires a full 2-3 hours each time (includes testing), and runs the risk of me reintroducing bugs. I'd like to avoid this if possible, especially since I just did it on Sunday.

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on May 31, 2011, 04:46:33 PM
(Because afaik, windows cmd history is wiped as soon as cls is used to clear the screen. linux terminal emulators can access the history after clear, but still...)
It is. You can't scroll back and see what used to be there after you CLS the console.

Redoing everything is a VERY inefficient process that requires a full 2-3 hours each time (includes testing), and runs the risk of me reintroducing bugs. I'd like to avoid this if possible, especially since I just did it on Sunday.

Thought so.

Actually, I have started a project page on Google code to make this development procedure easier and out of the way of the users here on the thread.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Tirea Aean on May 31, 2011, 05:47:47 PM
Quote from: Swoka Ikran on May 31, 2011, 04:46:33 PM

Thought so.

Actually, I have started a project page on Google code to make this development procedure easier and out of the way of the users here on the thread.
I'll assume details are to come. :)

As for being inefficient...let's just say that throwing away a perfectly functional code base and re-porting to fix bugs isn't the worst thing I've seen. :o

EDIT: I've added your changes to the Windows version. I redid only scramble and main. Both versions included: http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/files/vcli_win.zip Fixes are testing working: It's no longer case-sensitive, and scramble changed as per Linux version.

I also wrote myself a test script and build script to save some time...

Tirea Aean

Well...

after nearly ALL \expletive DAY I FINALLY got SVN to cooperate. I use Eclipse PyDev with SVN and now the project has a nice little home on Google Code. (work in progress, Downloads section etc are not yet developed)

PM me to commit.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Tirea Aean on May 31, 2011, 11:36:56 PM
Well...

after nearly ALL \expletive DAY I FINALLY got SVN to cooperate. I use Eclipse PyDev with SVN and now the project has a nice little home on Google Code. (work in progress, Downloads section etc are not yet developed)

PM me to commit.
Now I need to figure out how to use SVN...I don't even have a client. Off to go look for one...

Also, did you see my EDIT?

Tirea Aean

hmmm.... Yes, I saw your edit and that's now up on the google code downloads page.

So you're saying it's actually preferred to keep bouncing the zips around on this thread than to have an actual dev area? lol what a WASTED day in my case then!  :-P

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Tirea Aean on May 31, 2011, 11:55:37 PM
hmmm.... Yes, I saw your edit and that's now up on the google code downloads page.

So you're saying it's actually preferred to keep bouncing the zips around on this thread than to have an actual dev area? lol what a WASTED day in my case then!  :-P
I'm sick of those zip files too.

I've gotten TortoiseSVN to checkout the linux code, but I can't commit anything (Access Denied). Can you add me so I can commit the Windows stuff? (PM me)