VrrtepCLI

Started by Tirea Aean, May 22, 2011, 03:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Elf

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on May 31, 2011, 04:46:33 PM
Quote from: Tirea Aean on May 31, 2011, 04:29:18 PM
(Because afaik, windows cmd history is wiped as soon as cls is used to clear the screen. linux terminal emulators can access the history after clear, but still...)
It is. You can't scroll back and see what used to be there after you CLS the console.
Hmm, then you are using some strange Windows, it works. you can scrol through the command history using Up/Down arrows and you have always complete history accessible even after CLS. Or press F7 key and you can see last 10 command. It works even inside vrrtepcli - of course you can see only command you issued while vrrtepcli running.

About developer cooperation - using some kind of source control like SVN or CVS is very good idea, if someone changes source code, others can compare their local workspace against server and can see what was changed. But keeping changelog is also good practice.
If you have difficulties to sent your changes back to the server, then probably you aren't logged on or admin didn't give you appropriate access rights. Usually anyone can get current sources (even anonymously), but but to be able to update server data you need permissions.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Blue Elf on June 01, 2011, 01:02:36 AM
Hmm, then you are using some strange Windows, it works. you can scrol through the command history using Up/Down arrows and you have always complete history accessible even after CLS. Or press F7 key and you can see last 10 command. It works even inside vrrtepcli - of course you can see only command you issued while vrrtepcli running.
Oh...you mean the COMMAND history. Yeah, I can do that. I thought you meant being able to recall what you cleared from the screen.

Quote from: Blue Elf on June 01, 2011, 01:02:36 AM
About developer cooperation - using some kind of source control like SVN or CVS is very good idea, if someone changes source code, others can compare their local workspace against server and can see what was changed. But keeping changelog is also good practice.
If you have difficulties to sent your changes back to the server, then probably you aren't logged on or admin didn't give you appropriate access rights. Usually anyone can get current sources (even anonymously), but but to be able to update server data you need permissions.
SVN is going to make the comparisons and Windows updates a lot easier, :) now that we've got a working Google Code. :D My error was due to lack of commit privileges, and has since been fixed.

Both the Linux and Windows code are in the trunk now, along the Windows build/test scripts and the release file sets. :)
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Tirea Aean

I was talking about being able to scroll and see what was cleared from the screen after it has been cleared. not what the previous commands you used are.

Yeah, I feel good about it finally being on Google Code. commit offer still stands. PM me with your Google Acconut address and I'll add you to the dev team. :)

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Tirea Aean on June 01, 2011, 01:36:24 PM
I was talking about being able to scroll and see what was cleared from the screen after it has been cleared. not what the previous commands you used are.
So I had it correct the first time...(not possible on Windows).

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on June 01, 2011, 02:32:38 PM
Quote from: Tirea Aean on June 01, 2011, 01:36:24 PM
So I had it correct the first time...(not possible on Windows).

right. CMD does not allow this as far as I know.

Awpo tupe uniltìranyu

Quote from: Tirea Aean on May 30, 2011, 10:26:11 PM
Quote from: Awpo tupe uniltìranyu on May 30, 2011, 10:13:06 PM
Try downloading python
http://www.python.org/download/

then test it on windows

I use that version on windows. It works fine. Did you download Python less than 3.0? it needs to be Python 2.7 or 2.6

Use the Standalone version if you are having Python download/compatibility troubles.

ALso, are you on win 32 or 64 bit?

i ran a minecraft bot program that required python to be installed on the computer, but that was back when i was running XP, now im running win7 x64

Tirea Aean

x64 is a mystery to us. swoka ikran and I only have 32 bit.

what exactly is your trouble? is it related to the Path variable?

Eywa'eveng-tìranyu

Quote from: Tirea Aean on June 01, 2011, 08:41:14 PM

Ubuntu x64 works fine.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Eywa'eveng-tìranyu on June 02, 2011, 03:17:54 AM
Quote from: Tirea Aean on June 01, 2011, 08:41:14 PM

Ubuntu x64 works fine.

Oh good! so it's only Windows 64 that seems to give a slight problem.

I also hear of a bug on win7 32 (which is what I have, but this bug didnt ever happen to me) that when you run install.cmd, it doesnt copy everything to you user folder like it should and you go to run it and it's not there. the solution is make sure everything is copied into that .vrrtepcli folder.

I also spoke to someone else using win7 64. he says the pathtool worked and put it in the path, but the cmd prompt still didnt know what was going on. issue solved by using the cd .vrrtepcli command before running.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Tirea Aean on June 02, 2011, 10:07:47 AM
I also hear of a bug on win7 32 (which is what I have, but this bug didnt ever happen to me) that when you run install.cmd, it doesnt copy everything to you user folder like it should and you go to run it and it's not there. the solution is make sure everything is copied into that .vrrtepcli folder.
That's probably a permissions or time issue. The user should disable their AV (especially if it's Norton) and try again.

Quote from: Tirea Aean on June 02, 2011, 10:07:47 AM
I also spoke to someone else using win7 64. he says the pathtool worked and put it in the path, but the cmd prompt still didnt know what was going on.
There's apparently an issue with PATH on x64 OSes. Some googling indicates that we're not the only ones with this problem...

Tirea Aean

There's also a separate version of Python for 32 and 64. not sure if this really means anything since the guy got it to work eventually.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Tirea Aean on June 02, 2011, 12:07:20 PM
There's also a separate version of Python for 32 and 64. not sure if this really means anything since the guy got it to work eventually.
It doesn't. 32-bit Python should work fine on x64. In some cases, there's benefits to a 64-bit Python install, but vCLI is not one of those cases.

Tirea Aean

It appears looping over command line args is entirely broken. it used to at least work in the nav->local direction. \added to KNOW_BUGS.txt

EDIT: it appears the code to make that work properly has been commented out. I wonder why I did that? (linux version shell script arg looping)

I might uncomment it and commit.

Tirea Aean

Ok so I fixed it entirely and commited. only change was vrrtepcli.sh in /trunk/src

I also uploaded the current files to the /trunk/lin_release.

A new linux/mac zip is now on the downloads page.

Tirea Aean

t-t-t-triple post!

but it's warranted.

Apparently, this Windows PC I have been testing on here this past week at my Dad's place IS in fact 64 bit Windows 7.

Before downloading and installing Python 2.7.1:
current Standalone build works perfectly right after running the install.cmd

After uninstalling the standalone build and installing Python 2.7.1 and the Python build:
Needed to add Python to the PATH:

• press (WIN key)+[PAUSE BREAK]
  • click advanced system settings on left sidebar
  • click the environment variables button
  • and add C:\Python27; to the PATH box
  • and click OK

Python version now runs Beautifully with just opening a cmd and typing vrrtepcli.

So basically, no issues for me. Why others seem to have bugs, I'm not sure.. :| By now, It works flawlessly for me on Win 7 32 bit and 64 bit and 32 bit Linux.

Just thought I'd post this for the record and add to statistics. or something.

Swoka Ikran

In reference to 64-bit, has any 64-bit user with a broken standalone vCLI tried rebooting?

I saw the changes on SVN. The looping issue is not relevant to Windows, so no code changes for me, but I noticed the dictionary was updated. I'll push a new rev for Windows later with an updated dictionary...

There's a mistake in my Python dist: est.txt from the dictionary is completely missing, so Estonian localization is broken. This'll be corrected in the upcoming rev.

Also, maybe we should consider not packing the dictionary with the program?

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on June 03, 2011, 06:21:11 PM
I noticed the dictionary was updated. I'll push a new rev for Windows later with an updated dictionary...

There's a mistake in my Python dist: est.txt from the dictionary is completely missing, so Estonian localization is broken. This'll be corrected in the upcoming rev.

I thought you ported vrrtepcli_update.sh into a cmd so that the vrrtepcli -u function works to upgrade the dict files on the user's machine (thus also fixing your no est.txt issue)

Also, maybe we should consider not packing the dictionary with the program?

It can easily be done. All I'd have to do is just not ship it out with the files. but then when the user first gets it, they have to use vrrtepcli -u to download them anyway... I don't see the huge deal either way. I guess it's more efficient to download at first, but you still end up with the files. and the whole program is like 2 MB. or something. Right now, it just works out of the box. download, unzip, install, run.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Tirea Aean on June 03, 2011, 06:33:41 PM
I thought you ported vrrtepcli_update.sh into a cmd so that the vrrtepcli -u function works to upgrade the dict files on the user's machine (thus also fixing your no est.txt issue)
I did. The program will fix the problem itself if the user updates. Not an urgent issue, but still, the Estonian localizations should work out of the box without needing an update first...

I don't see the huge deal either way. I guess it's more efficient to download at first, but you still end up with the files. and the whole program is like 2 MB. or something. Right now, it just works out of the box. download, unzip, install, run.
I'll just leave them in there then. It's easier for the user. Besides, including dictionaries means it can be easily installed on systems with no network connection.

Another post to come later tonight when I push the updated rev and zips :)

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on June 03, 2011, 06:53:48 PM
I did. The program will fix the problem itself if the user updates. Not an urgent issue, but still, the Estonian localizations should work out of the box without needing an update first...

Agreed.

I don't see the huge deal either way. I guess it's more efficient to download at first, but you still end up with the files. and the whole program is like 2 MB. or something. Right now, it just works out of the box. download, unzip, install, run.
I'll just leave them in there then. It's easier for the user. Besides, including dictionaries means it can be easily installed on systems with no network connection.

True. That was the big thing of not using mysql on a server or comparing over a network: it works locally with txt files - the easiest way for the end user I could think of, not needing internet to use it is a plus in my book.

Another post to come later tonight when I push the updated rev and zips :)

Good stuff.

Swoka Ikran

OK. New versions are posted :) My SVN changes are listed as rev4.

Changes:
* Updated dictionaries
* Included missing est.txt in Python version

Off topic:
@TA: I finished up a new web-based signature bar generator program the other day...it's not officially released, but I'm doing a private beta and was wondering if you'd be interested in testing it for me? If so, PM me about it :)