VrrtepCLI

Started by Tirea Aean, May 22, 2011, 03:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Elf

I just downloaded last version, but there is problem in quiz - ì is not shown (space instead), ä is fine
In scramble game - same, ä is shown and is recognized in answer, ì not.

What changed? - it worked already well. Win XP 32, Czech regional settings. When I stop vrrtepCli, codepage is 437....
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Blue Elf on June 05, 2011, 11:20:29 AM
I just downloaded last version, but there is problem in quiz - ì is not shown (space instead), ä is fine
In scramble game - same, ä is shown and is recognized in answer, ì not.

What changed? - it worked already well. Win XP 32, Czech regional settings. When I stop vrrtepCli, codepage is 437....
Nothing changed except new dictionaries. What you have are symptoms of a locale issue. The codepage 437 is correct.

The code in the latest version didn't change at all.

The new version works fine on my system. Can you try an English locale with console set to 8x12 Raster Fonts, rutxe?
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Tirea Aean

I thought this was solved with using Lucida Console font.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Tirea Aean on June 05, 2011, 12:31:18 PM
It's supposed to, but it doesn't always work for some reason. I can cause LC to not show ì and ä rather easily by screwing with locale settings...

I asked him to test with Raster Fonts on US English because it'll tell me if it's a font/locale issue or a dictionary issue.

Also, I wanted to comment on something: You have tuté in the dictionary. Most don't know the ALT code for the é since it's the only word with it...and AFAIK, Na'vi KB layouts don't have it. I had to use ANS when it came up in scramble. Maybe consider removing that word?

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Tirea Aean

ah okay. yeah, I dont think it's a dict issue. they are just plain text with UTF-8 chars in them.

*barfs at the mention of ALT-codes*

well... I do believe KXWERTY has the é in it. (alt+e = é, I wanna say)

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Tirea Aean on June 05, 2011, 12:57:38 PM
ah okay. yeah, I dont think it's a dict issue. they are just plain text with UTF-8 chars in them.

*barfs at the mention of ALT-codes*
That's what I'm using :o Been doing ALT+0236 and ALT+0228 since I started here. I've gotten quite fast at it.

I don't type Na'vi very often since I don't really know it...although I'm definitely learning just by being here (i.e. not making an effort). I was reading the other day and something just randomly made sense to me.

Tirea Aean

weird. because for me,

alt 132 = ä and alt 141 = ì (on both win and lin)

cool stuff xD yeah, That keyboard is garbage for typing English. it's specifically for Na'vi. so if you dont ever type in na'vi, no real point in getting it.

I use "The United States Dvorak International (No dead keys)" keyboard on linux. to make ä, I use [alt] + [,]. to make ì, I have to use [alt]+[`]+i (i can use shift there to make capital.) I'm not really happy with this, but I get along... and quite funny, I dont know how to make the capital ä. simply adding shift doesnt capitalize the ä like it does for the ì. Not that capital ä really matters because I never ever seem to use it. I wish kxwerty was compatible with xkb. unfortunately, the best I can do is replace keys out for ì and ä. (but the whole thing i liked about kxwerty is the two-birds-one-stone typing for the ejectives, ts and ng. it made swapping out keys worth it because more than just two keys were changed.)

anyway, back to the topic, I probably wont take out the é. the files are generated from mysql. so I'd have to go and delete that word in every file after creating them, every time. either that or delete it from the dictionary altogether, which I am certainly not going to do. Even if tuté is the sole only word to have the é character at this point.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Tirea Aean on June 05, 2011, 01:19:16 PM
weird. because for me,

You're typing the decimal number of the character, I'm typing the character code. Same character either way. :)

anyway, back to the topic, I probably wont take out the é. the files are generated from mysql. so I'd have to go and delete that word in every file after creating them, every time. either that or delete it from the dictionary altogether, which I am certainly not going to do. Even if tuté is the sole only word to have the é character at this point.
What database? Haxalot's?

Also, instead of removing it from the dictionary, it can be fixed in the scramble game by making it redraw if é is in the picked word.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on June 05, 2011, 01:41:05 PM
weird. because for me,

You're typing the decimal number of the character, I'm typing the character code. Same character either way. :)

ahh okay.

What database? Haxalot's?

I have my own copy.

Also, instead of removing it from the dictionary, it can be fixed in the scramble game by making it redraw if é is in the picked word.

ah yes. That's an easy fix. I can do that real quick.

EDIT: on second thought, I manage the linux side. That stuff works fine on linux no need to change. can I just give you the code to insert into scramble.py?

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Tirea Aean on June 05, 2011, 02:10:54 PM

ah yes. That's an easy fix. I can do that real quick.

EDIT: on second thought, I manage the linux side. That stuff works fine on linux no need to change. can I just give you the code to insert into scramble.py?
It works on Windows too, assuming you have a way to type the é. I was suggesting it simply because most users don't have a way to do this.

If you want to fix it, just post the code here and I'll stick it in scramble.py and commit it as r5. I won't post zips for it since it's a minor change affecting one word.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on June 05, 2011, 02:23:34 PM
It works on Windows too, assuming you have a way to type the é. I was suggesting it simply because most users don't have a way to do this.

If you want to fix it, just post the code here and I'll stick it in scramble.py and commit it as r5. I won't post zips for it since it's a minor change affecting one word.

ah okay. agreed, not really worth a new zip release. I guess I might do this to the linux version too.

EDIT EDIT: wait. so the reason we just this is because people who cba to type special chars dont have to type é? what about ì and ä? they are equally as well not on the ASCII US EN keyboard... I kinda refuse to do away with those.

FINAL EDIT: just committed the above fix to the linux source. also reflected source change in ChangeLog.txt

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Tirea Aean on June 05, 2011, 02:27:48 PM
EDIT EDIT: wait. so the reason we just this is because people who cba to type special chars dont have to type é? what about ì and ä? they are equally as well not on the ASCII US EN keyboard... I kinda refuse to do away with those.
If you'd prefer I not include this change, let me know. It won't go out to SVN for a few hours anyway.

EDIT: Thinking this through again, I'm starting to think we should just forget this change. Since é is used now, it could be used again in the future. Besides, people probably should know how to type tuté.

For those who're interested: The é can be typed using ALT+0233, so it's no harder than ì or ä to use on a USA Keyboard.

Blue Elf

Oh yes, oe lu skxawng. I started cmd prompt by different shortcut than that prepared for vrrtepcli. I returned from weekend's meeting with my friends and my mind is still there. It works correctly. Oeru txoa livu.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Blue Elf on June 05, 2011, 02:50:25 PM
Oh yes, oe lu skxawng. I started cmd prompt by different shortcut than that prepared for vrrtepcli. I returned from weekend's meeting with my friends and my mind is still there. It works correctly. Oeru txoa livu.
No problem. :) Good to see it's working for you.

Tirea Aean

okay, the é change is going away on the SVN. back to prev source.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Tirea Aean on June 05, 2011, 07:46:19 PM
okay, the é change is going away on the SVN. back to prev source.
OK.

Won't commit the Windows version of the change...

Tirea Aean

i added a validate function to scramble. i noticed it takes blank string as incorrect. i made it so it prompts you unti you at least type SOMETHING in.

i wont be able to commit it for a few days .

i've also encountered an anagram while playing scramble. lor and rol.(i put lor answer was rol)  im at a loss of how or if i can fix that.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Tirea Aean on June 06, 2011, 09:13:09 AM
i added a validate function to scramble. i noticed it takes blank string as incorrect. i made it so it prompts you unti you at least type SOMETHING in.

i wont be able to commit it for a few days .
No rush on it. :)

i've also encountered an anagram while playing scramble. lor and rol.(i put lor answer was rol)  im at a loss of how or if i can fix that.
Can't be fixed easily. It's doable, but in my experience, the code to do this can make programs extremely slow.

Kä'eng

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on June 06, 2011, 11:57:00 AM
Can't be fixed easily. It's doable, but in my experience, the code to do this can make programs extremely slow.
It doesn't have to be slow. Here's a possiblility: at the beginning, create a set of all words in addition to the list (wordset = set(wordlist)). Instead of checking that the user entered the chosen word, check that the user entered any Na'vi word and that it's an anagram of the chosen word (a in wordset and sorted(a) == sorted(word)). So it might pick rol, show olr, but both lor and rol would be accepted.
Ma evi, ke'u ke lu prrte' to fwa sim tuteot ayawne.
Slä txo tuteo fmi 'ivampi ngat ro seng, fu nìfya'o, a 'eykefu ngati vä', tsakem ke lu sìltsan.
Tsaw lu ngeyä tokx! Kawtu ke tsun nìmuiä 'ivampi ngat txo ngal ke new tsakemit.
Ha kempe si nga? Nì'awve, nga plltxe san kehe. Tsakrr, ngal tsatsengti hum!

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Kä'eng on June 06, 2011, 03:45:51 PM
It doesn't have to be slow. Here's a possiblility: at the beginning, create a set of all words in addition to the list (wordset = set(wordlist)). Instead of checking that the user entered the chosen word, check that the user entered any Na'vi word and that it's an anagram of the chosen word (a in wordset and sorted(a) == sorted(word)). So it might pick rol, show olr, but both lor and rol would be accepted.
I'm not personally familiar with set since there's no such thing in Autoit or PHP. Based on the description, Autoit and PHP use arrays and FOR loops to do what Python does with set.

In the old code I wrote, producing a word list was trivial with a file-to-array function. Actually detecting the anagrams is what made it so slow. It involved a mess of FOR loops, stringinstr() calls, and arrays.

Chances are the slow speed was due to the horrible implementation on my part (I wrote that code when I was 16). I'd likely end up with a faster version if I wrote it today.