VrrtepCLI

Started by Tirea Aean, May 22, 2011, 03:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Elf

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on October 18, 2011, 08:20:15 PM
Quote from: Eltu lefngap 'eveng on October 18, 2011, 08:09:51 PM
I think that blue is a bit hard to read, but that is still EPIC.
That's what I was thinking...I'll use Cyan instead. :)
That is what I wanted to propose too :) Colors should be contrast to be readable well
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Tirea Aean on October 18, 2011, 11:23:48 PM
I think you can call it 1.94.

Also, idk if yall noticed but in the lin/mac version, I stripped away the
"vrrtepcli v1.93 by Tirea Aean. Run vrrtepcli -h for usage
blahblah"

every time you run it. now it only says
vrrtepcli v1.93 | run vrrtepcli -h for usage
when run interactively. Idk if you wanted to do that with win or not, not a huge deal.
That was the one change from Linux 1.93 I intentionally left out. I thought it looked bland without it. Besides, Windows stuff generally shows at least app name, version, and author, and possibly copyright at runtime, and I wanted to be able to tell what version (Linux, SA, or Win-Python) a bug report came from.

Quote from: Tirea Aean on October 18, 2011, 11:23:48 PM
I see. so arg looping most likely will not be seen in win version? of course using the ever-looping cmd from explorer might just make that seem not a big deal. did you say you can switch up the args at any time while working with the menu? does it ask you to switch menu settings after every word? I think I'll just download it when you commit and try it out on my XP VM.
I didn't give it much testing, but I rewrote it using SET, SHIFT, IF, and FINDSTR. It appears to work now (and is definitely better than 1.93), but I'm not sure if it's functionally identical.

I cleaned up the changelog.txt in the Win versions (capitalized stuff, reworded a few things, and added 1.94's entry)

Also, 1.94 is now on the SVN for those who want to try it. I'll post zips once the bugs are ironed out.
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Tirea Aean

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Tirea Aean on October 19, 2011, 05:45:16 PM
sweet. big thanks!
You're welcome :) Let me know how well it works.

Only thing I'm concerned about is the arg looping. I can't really tell if it's working correctly. Quick testing indicates it is, but I didn't run exhaustive tests on it.

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Tirea Aean

I'll give it a look sometime soon. I'll let you know.

Swoka Ikran

Tirea Aean

Finally got around to testing the menu version. It seems that it doesn't allow you to go back to the menu and change an option without quitting and re-running. but for what it is, I do like it. :D

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Tirea Aean on October 20, 2011, 12:41:57 PM
Finally got around to testing the menu version. It seems that it doesn't allow you to go back to the menu and change an option without quitting and re-running. but for what it is, I do like it. :D
That's a functional limitation. The program runs in an infinite loop once you start it. Every time the app exits, the script goes to the top of the loop and starts it again. There's no way to tell it "exit and don't go to top" since all program exits are identical.

Puvomun

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on October 20, 2011, 06:14:04 PM
Quote from: Tirea Aean on October 20, 2011, 12:41:57 PM
That's a functional limitation. The program runs in an infinite loop once you start it. Every time the app exits, the script goes to the top of the loop and starts it again. There's no way to tell it "exit and don't go to top" since all program exits are identical.

Perhaps not my business, but if you issue a "sys.exit(1)" in Python you should be able to catch the exit/errorcode in a script and cancel from there, srak? (I admit that I have not looked at the code, I just happened to notice this remark.)
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Tirea Aean

well it's an open source project, and I say that all ideas and opinions should be considered, so please do post ideas here if/when you have one :D

That's interesting. it seems possible, but I don't know CMD very well.

Tirea Aean

Posting a little TODO list here so I don't forget, and so people know what is [hopefully] to come...

• ability to use -i and -ipa flags in the Na'vi -> Na'vi direction, not just the local -> Na'v idirection
  • save high score for quiz and scramble
  • affix recognition e.g., $ vrrtepcli täpeykìyeverkeiup
  • alternate english form recognition e.g., $ vrrtepcli 4 -l while you were sleeping

Someday in the future:
  • MAYBE build a GTK+ GUI [graphic window option]

Puvomun

Quote from: Tirea Aean on October 21, 2011, 08:50:07 AM
well it's an open source project, and I say that all ideas and opinions should be considered, so please do post ideas here if/when you have one :D

That's interesting. it seems possible, but I don't know CMD very well.

It is simple.
If you hit the 'quit' state in python, issue sys.exit(1)  (note to import sys if not done already)
In the batchfile for windows then do something like:

:restart
vrrtepcli.py
if "%errorlevel"=="1" goto :stop
goto :restart
:stop

Note that M$oft made it so smart that you can NOT check for errorlevel == 0. You need something like this. (Try checking for 0 if you want.)

in the linux script:

q=0
while q=0
do
  vrrtepcli.py
  if [ $? = 1 ]; then break;fi
done

It's that simple.
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Puvomun on October 21, 2011, 02:23:52 PM
It is simple.
If you hit the 'quit' state in python, issue sys.exit(1)  (note to import sys if not done already)
Checking errorlevel would be the way to implement this, but there is no quit state in vCLI. The app itself runs through once and exits, regardless of what the user typed in, as long as it's not blank.

You'd need to check if input == "/quit" or the like to determine the difference between the program reaching end and the user explicitly asking to quit, and exit 1 in that case only. If the python components are updated to deal with this, implementing the batch-side stuff is easy.

Quote from: Tirea Aean on October 21, 2011, 08:58:59 AM
  • ability to use -i and -ipa flags in the Na'vi -> Na'vi direction, not just the local -> Na'v idirection
Can the local half even be Na'vi? Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the IPA feature...it can't even run on Windows.

Not sure how files are handled in Python, but likely trivial to implement :)

We never did release the "bloated dictionary" implementation of this did we? As for support of words like in the quote above...98% of the time, people probably aren't gonna need that level of detection.

What does that word mean anyway? Thinking "Hope in the future to cause myself to die" [ good mood ] ???

Blue Elf

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on October 21, 2011, 04:17:54 PM
What does that word mean anyway? Thinking "Hope in the future to cause myself to die" [ good mood ] ???
something like  "(he) is going to cause (him)self to die in short future" and speaker feel happy about it

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Blue Elf on October 21, 2011, 04:36:00 PM
something like  "(he) is going to cause (him)self to die in short future" and speaker feel happy about it
Makes more sense when used in a sentence. :)

I'm still trying to figure out the point of using ìyev in it though. Why not just ìy?

Blue Elf

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on October 21, 2011, 04:45:41 PM
Quote from: Blue Elf on October 21, 2011, 04:36:00 PM
I'm still trying to figure out the point of using ìyev in it though. Why not just ìy?
ìy - is simple near future infix
ìyev (or iyev) is near future + subjunctive infix (something like ì<iv>y / i<ìy>v with corrections to follow phonotactic rules)
But I think we are getting out of topic

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Blue Elf on October 21, 2011, 05:09:15 PM
ìy - is simple near future infix
ìyev (or iyev) is near future + subjunctive infix (something like ì<iv>y / i<ìy>v with corrections to follow phonotactic rules)
Understood.

Quote from: Blue Elf on October 21, 2011, 05:09:15 PM
But I think we are getting out of topic
Agreed. :) This isn't relevant to vCLI at all...

Tirea Aean

Answering some questions...

Quote from: Puvomun on October 21, 2011, 02:23:52 PM
It is simple.
Checking errorlevel would be the way to implement this, but there is no quit state in vCLI. The app itself runs through once and exits, regardless of what the user typed in, as long as it's not blank.

You'd need to check if input == "/quit" or the like to determine the difference between the program reaching end and the user explicitly asking to quit, and exit 1 in that case only. If the python components are updated to deal with this, implementing the batch-side stuff is easy.

True. If this is in demand for linux/mac, I will do that. really, as it is, if you want it to loop, just type a high number and hit enter.

$ vrrtepcli 1000 [options except -s or -q]

This will prompt you for a word to translate, one thousand times. that's probably longer than anyone would even need to run it for.

Can the local half even be Na'vi? Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the IPA feature...it can't even run on Windows.

I am making a new function in vrrtepcli.py to implement this. this way, you don't need to know the local word in order to get the IPA for a Na'vi word.

currently:

$ vrrtepcli -l -ipa survive
Query matches:
vin. emrey [ɛm.ˈɾ··ɛj]

But that's weird, isn't it? Who wants to look up IPA info on a Na'vi word by inputting the local word?

What I want to implement:

$ vrrtepcli -ipa emrey
vin. emrey [ɛm.ˈɾ··ɛj]

Not sure how files are handled in Python, but likely trivial to implement :)

Well, considering vrrtepcli IS python reading files ... XD it's really simple, I know how python handles files ;)

We never did release the "bloated dictionary" implementation of this did we? As for support of words like in the quote above...98% of the time, people probably aren't gonna need that level of detection.

no we did not ever devise a way to generate that "bloated dictionary". that is true, but a na'vi noob will still probably need to enter in stuff like tìtusul or tìkusar or tswusayona and 'oli'eia.

[something like] "would be about to cause one's self to die ;D" [but of course as you said, no one uses words like that xD]

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Tirea Aean on October 22, 2011, 01:58:49 PM

I am making a new function in vrrtepcli.py to implement this. this way, you don't need to know the local word in order to get the IPA for a Na'vi word.
Oh. Guess that'll be Linux only then. IPA does not work on Windows, so it'd be pointless :(

no we did not ever devise a way to generate that "bloated dictionary". that is true, but a na'vi noob will still probably need to enter in stuff like tìtusul or tìkusar or tswusayona and 'oli'eia.
I'll mess around with affix detection when I get the time. I was thinking about this other day, and the hardest part is figuring out the syllables and location of the infix slots when given a word with infixes.

Suffixes aren't an issue (just drop them), and prefixes are similar (mainly just remove and perform "un-lenition" if needed).

To start on infixes, I'd probably make something to look at the last two syllables and check the characters immediately before the vowel...

[something like] "would be about to cause one's self to die ;D" [but of course as you said, no one uses words like that xD]
I was pretty close. Had to cheat and look up eyk and the root word though...

Tirea Aean

QuoteI'll mess around with affix detection when I get the time. I was thinking about this other day, and the hardest part is figuring out the syllables and location of the infix slots when given a word with infixes.

Suffixes aren't an issue (just drop them), and prefixes are similar (mainly just remove and perform "un-lenition" if needed).

To start on infixes, I'd probably make something to look at the last two syllables and check the characters immediately before the vowel...

But beware(!) words which start with what looks like a prefix but is not. (e.g., tìng, len, nìn, nìltsan etc.)

and words which end with what looks like a suffix but is not. (e.g., Neytiri, riti, pxuntil, muiä, omatikaya, etc.)

and words which contain what looks like an infix but is not (e.g., tswayon, terkup, hamalo, hayalo, toltem, etc.)