VrrtepCLI

Started by Tirea Aean, May 22, 2011, 03:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tìtstewan

A skxawng question: Do I have to run it with the windows cmd or with the python cmd?

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tìtstewan on October 19, 2013, 09:10:13 AM
A skxawng question: Do I have to run it with the windows cmd or with the python cmd?

Not a skxawng question.

You actually open CMD.exe (Windows Command Prompt) and then navigate to the folder where it's installed, and then run vrrtepcli.cmd (on Linux/Mac, this would be a .sh file)

See the README.txt file for more usage info and how to run the program without having to use cd to navigate to the install folder.

EDIT: I'm currently working on a Python version that does not use .cmd or .sh file at all, only one Python script and its module files.

DOUBLE EDIT: As you can see, this program is totally meant for the Linux power user type of person. It just happens to be cross-platform so everyone can use it. This is a very very counter-intuitive ye-olde-style experience for anyone running Windows or Mac.

Tìtstewan

I see, its totaly created for linux-smuk...
Something I do wrong:
old gallery link?id=5337[/img]

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

Tirea Aean

OH. I think because of how the cmd is written, you must put Python in you PATH.

You have to add it to your Environment Variables in control panel. There should be something about that somewhere in this thread, or in the README. IF not, adding something to your PATH in Windows can be found online or on YouTube or something. :)

EDIT:
Quote from: Tirea Aean on June 03, 2011, 05:44:52 PM
t-t-t-triple post!

but it's warranted.

Apparently, this Windows PC I have been testing on here this past week at my Dad's place IS in fact 64 bit Windows 7.

Before downloading and installing Python 2.7.1:
current Standalone build works perfectly right after running the install.cmd

After uninstalling the standalone build and installing Python 2.7.1 and the Python build:
Needed to add Python to the PATH:

• press (WIN key)+[PAUSE BREAK]
  • click advanced system settings on left sidebar
  • click the environment variables button
  • and add C:\Python27; to the PATH box
  • and click OK

Python version now runs Beautifully with just opening a cmd and typing vrrtepcli.

So basically, no issues for me. Why others seem to have bugs, I'm not sure.. :| By now, It works flawlessly for me on Win 7 32 bit and 64 bit and 32 bit Linux.

Just thought I'd post this for the record and add to statistics. or something.

What's happening here is cmd is calling python, but your command shell does not know about it yet. It only knows about stuff that's in the PATH. So in order to use Python you have to call it from where it's installed. Which is a pain. So adding it to the PATH variable is so much better.

Tìtstewan

This is in the readme file

EDIT:
Quote from: Tirea Aean on October 19, 2013, 09:50:13 AM
EDIT:
t-t-t-triple post!

but it's warranted.

Apparently, this Windows PC I have been testing on here this past week at my Dad's place IS in fact 64 bit Windows 7.

After uninstalling the standalone build and installing Python 2.7.1 and the Python build:

• and click OK

Python version now runs Beautifully with just opening a cmd and typing vrrtepcli.

So basically, no issues for me. Why others seem to have bugs, I'm not sure.. :| By now, It works flawlessly for me on Win 7 32 bit and 64 bit and 32 bit Linux.

What's happening here is cmd is calling python, but your command shell does not know about it yet. It only knows about stuff that's in the PATH. So in order to use Python you have to call it from where it's installed. Which is a pain. So adding it to the PATH variable is so much better.
You should add THIS in the README.txt...

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tìtstewan on October 19, 2013, 10:06:12 AM
This is in the readme file

EDIT:
Quote from: Tirea Aean on October 19, 2013, 09:50:13 AM
EDIT:
t-t-t-triple post!

but it's warranted.

• and click OK

You should add THIS in the README.txt...

OH! I see.

Swoka Ikran never created a separate README file for the NOT-Standalone version. The Standalone binary .exe version, that README would be perfect. The Standalone is packaged so that it includes Python 2.7 bulit in and everything.

The bit you just had to do only applies to the Python not-packaged version.

Either way, the Python version needs that info in the README. True.

Tìtstewan

Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me. I did the mentioned steps above, I added the variables "python" and the value "C:\Python27" in both path boxes (local and system variables) but I get the same message.
"The command "python" is written wrong or cannot be found."

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tìtstewan on October 19, 2013, 12:47:52 PM
Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me. I did the mentioned steps above, I added the variables "python" and the value "C:\Python27" in both path boxes (local and system variables) but I get the same message.
"The command "python" is written wrong or cannot be found."

Huh. Lemme see what I can figure out. I assume you got your Download from Google code as .zip

EDIT: IS C:\Python27 actually where python 2.7.x installed on your system?

Tìtstewan

Soo, I have a good news, I deleted all files and I reinstalled it, and it works now! Tewti! :D

EDIT: NICE quiz game ma Tirea! 20/20 100%  hrh! ;D

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tìtstewan on October 19, 2013, 01:21:36 PM
Soo, I have a good news, I deleted all files and I reinstalled it, and it works now! Tewti! :D

EDIT: NICE quiz game ma Tirea! 20/20 100%  hrh! ;D

It works for me too. :)

Steps to make it work, from beginning:

1) Install Python 2.7.x from http://python.org/download
    a) make sure it installs to C:\Python27
2) Add Python to your Path
    a) (Windows key)+[Pause Break]
    b) Click Advanced System Settings on left sidebar
    c) Click [Environment Variables] button
    d) Click the first [Edit] button
    e) Click and add C:\Python27; to the Variable value box
    f) Click OK,OK,OK
3) Download VrrtepCLI Win from http://vrrtepcli.googlecode.com
4) Unzip VrrtepCLI
    a) Go to where the zip from step 3 downloaded
    b) right click on it and extract all, ok
5) Install VrrtepCLI
    a) double-click install.cmd (as administrator if you want to install for everyone)
    b) wait until it says you should close the cmd window
6) Run VrrtepCLI
    a) Click (Start) button
    b) type in cmd (or cmd.exe) then hit Enter
    c) a command prompt should pop up. (black screen with text, like the good old days)
    d) Pin this program to task bar (because it's so awesome and you want to easily access it)
    e) in the cmd prompt, type: vrrtepcli -v
    f) step 6e shows you current dictionary version. To update the dictionary, type vrrtepcli -u
    g) for more, read the README.txt file that came with the vrrtepcli download.

EDIT: Irayo! :D Glad you like it! For a much more challenging game, try -s (Scramble game) ;D

Tìtstewan

old gallery link?id=5340[/img]
:D

You should note, that the variable thing have two boxes! A user variable and a system variable. I wrote it in in both boxes.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tìtstewan on October 19, 2013, 02:00:33 PM
old gallery link?id=5340[/img]
:D

You should note, that the variable thing have two boxes! A user variable and a system variable. I wrote it in in both boxes.

:D I've already noted that in my last post, in the instructions for 2e. You add this text to the "Variable value" box. Leave the other box alone. :)

I've added that instruction set to OP

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Tirea Aean on October 19, 2013, 02:06:43 PM
...and this:
Quote from: Tirea Aean on October 19, 2013, 01:54:32 PM
EDIT: Irayo! :D Glad you like it! For a much more challenging game, try -s (Scramble game) ;D
too. ;D

Tirea Aean

Here are some examples of some commands you might like to use often:

vrrtepcli -de fmetok
vrrtepcli -l -de finden
vrrtepcli -n -i 'efu
vrrtepcli -n -de 3 kaltxì ma 'eylan
vrrtepcli -l -de 4 essen gehen jagen sagen

EDIT: forgot looping is broken in this 1.95 release. :\
DOUBLE EDIT: How would you like to try out my latest Development version? It includes not only looping, but also affix recognition. Since you installed the Python version, it should be easy to upgrade your program by simply moving the new files into the folder. (I recommend backing up the old ones by renaming)

Tìtstewan

QuoteMicrosoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.
C:\Windows\System32>vrrtepcli -l -de 4 essen gehen jagen sagen
Vrrtep CLI v1.95.0 by Tirea Aean
Windows version by Swoka Ikran
Standalone version

Query matches:
vtr. peng
vin. kaltxì si
??!? ???

Edit: Pelun?

DOUBLE EDIT:
Quote from: Tirea Aean on October 19, 2013, 02:13:27 PM
DOUBLE EDIT: How would you like to try out my latest Development release? It includes not only looping, but also affix recognition. Since you installed the Python version, it should be easy to upgrade your program by simply moving the new files into the folder. (I recommend backing up the old ones by renaming)
Interesting. Its also in google code?

TRIPLE EDIT:
If you need my googleID, take a look at this list: Fìtsenge

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tìtstewan on October 19, 2013, 02:09:40 PM
Quote from: Tirea Aean on October 19, 2013, 02:06:43 PM
...and this:
Quote from: Tirea Aean on October 19, 2013, 01:54:32 PM
too. ;D

It has come to my attention that the README files are the same across all platforms. This needs to be edited. The README needs to be edited in general. But especially for Windows because I saw stuff in there that does not apply to Windows.

Quote from: Tìtstewan on October 19, 2013, 02:17:11 PM
QuoteMicrosoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.
C:\Windows\System32>vrrtepcli -l -de 4 essen gehen jagen sagen
Vrrtep CLI v1.95.0 by Tirea Aean
Windows version by Swoka Ikran
Standalone version

Query matches:
vtr. peng
vin. kaltxì si
??!? ???

Edit: Pelun?

No idea. The only way that could be is if your term was found in the entry for that word in the dictionary. As I said in my edit above, looping is broken in 1.95

DOUBLE EDIT:
Quote from: Tirea Aean on October 19, 2013, 02:13:27 PM
DOUBLE EDIT: How would you like to try out my latest Development release? It includes not only looping, but also affix recognition. Since you installed the Python version, it should be easy to upgrade your program by simply moving the new files into the folder. (I recommend backing up the old ones by renaming)
Interesting. Its also in google code?

No, It's actually in dropbox, but I can attach a .zip here or there or something. I'm not ready to really commit to the repo until I'm satisfied. :\ hmmm. It actually might soon be time.

TRIPLE EDIT:
If you need my googleID, take a look at this list: Fìtsenge

I won't need a Google ID unless you want to join the Google Code development team. Which you're more than welcome to do, if you want to help out. If that's the case, I might as well commit my files and send you an invite. (I work on the Linux/Mac OS version)

Tìtstewan

I can do only testing, programming of python stuff, I'm an absolute skxawng.

Tirea Aean

ok so I'll just commit and create a zip. What you'd have to do then is unzip it and move all the .py files to .vrrtepcli folder. I'll let you know when I've done all this. Might be a while. :)

EDIT: Actually, I'll just package up the 2.0 BETA that's been used for a while and release that before committing the super new unstable development version. Thoughts?

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Tirea Aean on October 19, 2013, 03:20:03 PM
EDIT: Actually, I'll just package up the 2.0 BETA that's been used for a while and release that before committing the super new unstable development version. Thoughts?
I'm curious. :)
Eltu lefngap is ready for testing. :)

Tirea Aean

So it turns out that my local copy is OLD! and what's already been in the Repository is the absolute latest (Except most recent experimental development)

So if you want to play around with the latest Beta, either Checkout the code, or download the latest Download I JUST put up on the Google Code. (The one I did earlier today was the wrong file.)