Web Browser

Started by MIPP, May 25, 2010, 01:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIPP

Kaltxì ma aysmukan sì aysmuke,

I have many browser in my computer. Til yesterday, i had Mozzila Firefox, Opera, IE and Google Chrome. Today i've decided to download Safari. Then I thaught: "I have lots of browsers... is there anyother that I may download?"
I was thinking about that and that when i've remembered: "jesus! I guess that a Na'vi browser would be great!"
Unfortunately, I don't know how to create a browser. Anyway, i'd like to leave my suggestion for anyone eho may be interested.

Name: Na'vigator
Details:
Once I have many browsers, I decided to look for all of them and see greatest things see which each one of them has. Then, I put all of it into one: The Na'vigator (great name huh?).

* Many dictionaries (as well as a Na'vi dictionary)
* Fastness
* Low cost of plafond (for those eho have limited internet)
* Being beautiful (as Safari is)
* Having many tools (like Firefox)
* Being easy to use (like Chrome)

And many things (i'm not an expert).

P.s. It's important that the color is mostly BLUE.

Does anyone thinks this is possible to create?
Na'vi for beginners | Dict-Na'vi.com

Hufwe lìng io pay, nìfnu slä nìlaw.
Loveless, Act IV.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I think your best bet is to try customizing an existing browser. Firefox, Chrome, and maybe Safari, are open source. I know Firefox can be heavily customized, even without knowing or writing code.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Possible? yes

Easy? Absolutely not.

What you now gotta ask yourself is if you(/we) are able to create something that will come anything near the big browsers in any of those points. Think about that all browsers on the market have very skilled persons working with them. (expect maybe IE...)

'eylan na'viyä

The only way to achieve a better browsing experience is to make something that is based on an existing browser.
first you need to know what you want to make different:

the look: doable with all browsers by skins
the language: afaik also possible with most of the browsers (completely translating such a big program is much more work than youd expect (but not impossible))
something else: afaik firefox is the most flexible browser (everything is done by javascript,xml,...)

if you really plan to make an independant browser i would suggest to make something based of firefox like flock

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: 'eylan na'viyä on May 26, 2010, 02:34:25 PM
The only way to achieve a better browsing experience is to make something that is based on an existing browser.
first you need to know what you want to make different:

the look: doable with all browsers by skins
the language: afaik also possible with most of the browsers (completely translating such a big program is much more work than youd expect (but not impossible))
something else: afaik firefox is the most flexible browser (everything is done by javascript,xml,...)

if you really plan to make an independant browser i would suggest to make something based of firefox like flock

Starting with an existing browser is better, because you don't have to recreate the really difficult parts, like the rendering engine. (You could re-comment the existing code in Na`vi.... ;)  ) And whatever you do, make sure it is platform-independent so linux, OSX users, etc. can use it.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Seze

As much fun as writing a web browser can be, I would highly advise against it.  The web browser can be one of the biggest security holes that a computer can have.  I personally wouldn't feel very comfortable using a browser that was made here from scratch, not saying that it can't be done just that there would be an ENORMOUS amount of work that would be required to do it right to keep our end users safe and secure.  Solution to that has been stated here already, let the big web browser developers handle the actual browser bits and then we can take care of any eye candy and translations of the interface that we want.  Firefox looks to be an ideal choice to build on since its 1) cross platform and 2) easily customizable.

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

kewnya txamew'itan

Quote from: MIPP on May 25, 2010, 01:16:33 PM
* Fastness

Chromium?

It's open source so you can play around as much as you like, if you don't play too much it should be pretty secure, because it's almost identical to chrome it'll be fast and easy to use. The source can be compiled for any OS if we have people who'll do it, and the beauty can be solved easily by sticking a skin on at the end.

In short, chromium seems like a good starting point to me.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Muzer

I'm currently translating Opera into Na'vi. It also satisfies having loads of features, being fast, can make you use less bandwidth with Opera Turbo, and probably (based on your opinion) being easy too.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a Na'vi dictionary for Opera. However, the dictionary it uses is a standard format I believe, though I can't remember offhand which one (there are too many standard dictionary formats :P)

(Also, am I the only one who hates brushed steel? I think Mac OS, and Safari look absolutely f**k ugly)
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

'eylan na'viyä

great to hear !
please tell me when it is ready or tell us about the progress. I can image that many language questions will come up, especially when translating technical stuff.

About the dictionary:
Actually its only an open office dictionary renamed to zip ;) and this already exists.

thats a complete list of all software translation projects including my dictionaries:
http://forum.learnnavi.org/your-projects-other-resources/navify-software/msg196513/#msg196513

MIPP

Quote from: kemeoauniaea on May 28, 2010, 01:56:20 AM
Quote from: MIPP on May 25, 2010, 01:16:33 PM
* Fastness

Chromium?

It's open source so you can play around as much as you like, if you don't play too much it should be pretty secure, because it's almost identical to chrome it'll be fast and easy to use. The source can be compiled for any OS if we have people who'll do it, and the beauty can be solved easily by sticking a skin on at the end.

In short, chromium seems like a good starting point to me.

Not chromium. I was thinking in Google Chrome.

Loveless, Act IV.

kewnya txamew'itan

If you base it on chrome you're limited to it being a glorified package of add-ons and a new skin, with chromium, you've got the source code to play with so you can play with it in a lot more detail.

Also, if you do it for chromium, instead of having to tell people to first download the appropriate version of chrome then the add-on package, you could just send the straight to atana fngap and have them download a single installer file. If you wanted to be really clever it would probably be possible to make a downloader that automatically detected what OS it was on and installed the appropriate version of atana fngap.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Muzer

Hmm, I spent a bit of time quite a while ago making a single file that could run as a shell script or a batch file depending on the OS (shell script for Mac OS, Linux and every other sane OS, Batch for Windows). If you want that I'd be happy to give it. You'd obviously have to write the code twice still, but you can combine two into one file like this.

MIPP

I guess it's too hard and as i don't have much free time, i can't do it.

Loveless, Act IV.

'eylan na'viyä

i thought it's possible to run bash under windows too, but i don't know how much overhead it requires.

Muzer

Did you mean bash there?

It would sort of defeat the point anyway, as you wouldn't be able to just run the file - they would have to have the bash executable etc.

'eylan na'viyä

yeah i meant bash .. i shoud have written that posting under linux  ::)
usually you would have to create a package with other files anyway. executing the bash script needs to be done by a short batch script but the actual script could then be platform independent.

Muzer

Yeah, I suppose so. Still, may as well make it a bash/batch dual file, which as I said, is possible :P