Website Logo issue...

Started by Tsway'eion, January 18, 2010, 01:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsway'eion

I find that there is one problem among many of the logo submissions... Copyright?

kewnya txamew'itan

I think they're all using clips that Cameron/Fox have released into the internet to be distributed as we please. As far as I know, none of them are taken from clips/pictures that are not now in the public domain.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Nume fpi sänume

That is correct. All of the images are either sufficiently user altered, or under public domain, and shouldn't cause us any issues.

Erimeyz

Quote from: Nume fpi sänume on January 18, 2010, 01:30:27 PM
That is correct. All of the images are either sufficiently user altered, or under public domain, and shouldn't cause us any issues.

Does anyone on this board have the slightest idea what they're talking about when it comes to intellectual property law?

"Altered" just means it's a derived work.  Derived works are subject to the same copyright claims as the original works they are derived from.

Nothing released by Fox has been placed into the public domain.  "Public domain" doesn't mean what you think it does.

Fox releasing publicity photos for distribution to the media doesn't grant you or anyone else permission to use those images for your own purposes, and especially not for branding your own website.

The only reason using images from the movie won't cause any issues is because Fox isn't bothering to do anything about it, because they don't care.  Yet.  If Na'vi takes off the way we all hope it does, they'll start caring.

- Eri

Nume fpi sänume

We had the same issue at magic-league.com and at mtgsalvation.com with Hasbro (7 years after the sites were up) giving us a cease and desist. Its not like they are going to pull a gun on us or anything, we might at some point get a getter saying to pull the images. Till then, I see no say the sky is falling.

Erimeyz

Quote from: Nume fpi sänume on January 19, 2010, 01:02:56 AM
We had the same issue at magic-league.com and at mtgsalvation.com with Hasbro (7 years after the sites were up) giving us a cease and desist. Its not like they are going to pull a gun on us or anything, we might at some point get a getter saying to pull the images. Till then, I see no say the sky is falling.

Indeed, the sky is not falling.  Fox may never get around to sending a C-and-D letter (although they're much more aggressive about such things than Hasbro, or even Paramount; see the case of The Simpsons fansites - granted, that was ten years ago).

But if Learn Na'vi wants to be the preeminent site for all things Na'vi language - which it well deserves to be - then we should act in ways befitting such a role.  That includes not doing anything which infringes on the intellectual property of others, especially Fox.  "They haven't bothered to complain yet" is not a good standard to hold ourselves to.

- Eri

Tsway'eion

Quote from: Erimeyz on January 19, 2010, 08:39:40 AM
Quote from: Nume fpi sänume on January 19, 2010, 01:02:56 AM

Indeed, the sky is not falling.  Fox may never get around to sending a C-and-D letter (although they're much more aggressive about such things than Hasbro, or even Paramount; see the case of The Simpsons fansites - granted, that was ten years ago).

But if Learn Na'vi wants to be the preeminent site for all things Na'vi language - which it well deserves to be - then we should act in ways befitting such a role.  That includes not doing anything which infringes on the intellectual property of others, especially Fox.  "They haven't bothered to complain yet" is not a good standard to hold ourselves to.

- Eri

Irayo, couldn't have said it better myself.