A "new word" game.

Started by Swoka Swizaw, February 12, 2010, 05:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swoka Swizaw

The other night, while allowing my body to slowly decay from boredom at work, I had an idea for a game. For what must seem like years to many, we are forced to wait for our illustrious teacher to "remove his finger from the dike" that is Fox to allow a couple drips our way. When we are given anything new, we find that we can never really predict which English words Frommer will loose and, when he does, can only sit in awe of what are beautiful phonetic compositions that each word in Na'vi is. These two aspects, I feel can be made into a guessing game, of sorts.

Until any point whenwhich Frommer can give us anything new, we take a grand tally of what the members of the board feel might be the next word concept, as well as, deriving for oneself what the next composed word will look like. To play, successfully, these two aspects do not have to match. BUT, if one is, by the will of Eywa, able to guess a word (in both senses), he or she wins the grand prize, whatever that might be. We could bet/win "karma" points.

Now, if you're wondering why this is here, in this place...well, new developments, right? Anyway, if it has to be moved, then, please, do so. As for the rules, the admins can determine what's fair. I do hope that this is something that appeals to my fellow members.  Irayo.

Letxuma Swizaw

Ther's got to be a word for poop soon. no matter how immature it is. :P
i imagine it would be something like :
leTxìma tìtxìng
butt-adj leavings
or compunded:

letìmatì'ìng
letìmatìtìng

i dont really know the pronunciation rules enough to speculate on that though.
Oe Skxawnghu längu.

Kìrìstìyä tìpe'unri a kifkeyit kelor kawngsì tsere'a, tsafpìlfya kifkeyit tsafya txolängula.

Join our real life tribe! here(And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, not a role play tribe)

Swoka Swizaw

Quote from: letxuma Swizaw on February 12, 2010, 10:02:25 PM
leTxìma tìtxìng
butt-adj leavings
or compunded:

letìmatì'ìng
letìmatìtìng

"Poop" is the way we're gonna start this thing off, huh? ...dude! :)

Letxuma Swizaw

This stems from an old conversation in the insults thread. ;D
Oe Skxawnghu längu.

Kìrìstìyä tìpe'unri a kifkeyit kelor kawngsì tsere'a, tsafpìlfya kifkeyit tsafya txolängula.

Join our real life tribe! here(And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, not a role play tribe)

Swizaw Nguway

Quote from: letxuma Swizaw on February 12, 2010, 10:02:25 PM
leTxìma tìtxìng
butt-adj leavings
or compunded:

letìmatì'ìng
letìmatìtìng

LOL? BUTT LEAVINGS? Ah that made me laugh irl.

Swoka Swizaw

Lekeye'ung leiu, Letxuma! ;) (Aliteration!!)

Anyway, I'll start this off...I say that Frommer will give us a word for "tall." And the Na'vi word will be ipwen.

Letxuma Swizaw

Quote from: Swoka Swizaw on February 13, 2010, 08:50:18 AM
Lekeye'ung leiu, Letxuma! ;) (Aliteration!!)

Anyway, I'll start this off...I say that Frommer will give us a word for "tall." And the Na'vi word will be ipwen.

i think thats what big (in stature) counts for : tsawl
Oe Skxawnghu längu.

Swoka Swizaw

Quote from: letxuma Swizaw on February 13, 2010, 10:48:16 AM
i think thats what big (in stature) counts for : tsawl

Yeah, well. This wasn't as easy as I had figured. I still hold to ipwen, though. Seriously, I wish that this could get a little more press than the three Swizaw amigos. :)

Lrrtoksì nìhawng

I vote for the word for "fat" being "yawl". I have no derivational basis for this other than it sounds kind of like "tsawl" but takes less effort. I guess if I wanted to be fancy I could say it's a fusion of "yom" and "tsawl". The Na'vi are missing out on the wonderful world of yo' momma jokes without it.

Ngeyä sa'nul afìtxan ayawl lu...

If we could get this word at the same time as letìmatìtìng that would be even better. The comedians would be thrilled.
Eywa hangham fa aysyulang.

Alìm Tsamsiyu

I'm pretty sure "large," (apxa) or even "excessively large" (apxa nìhawng), as I used in my Yo Momma joke in the insults thread, will suffice for fat.  Combined with the pejorative infix on a nearby verb the meaning should be pretty clear.

"Ngeyä sa'nu fìtxan nìhawng apxa längu" - Your mom so exceedingly large be<PEJ> - Yo momma is so fat.

---------------

Anyway - I think we already have a thread for this sort of thing, the Thread of Dangerous Words where Taronyu is accepting words that can be added to the community-created (within reason!) pool of words to cover things we can't figure out quite yet in Na'vi.

Words like "forum," "noun, adjective, verb, etc.," and "vibrating tongue (prrkxentrrkrr)" can be found there.

The only important thing to remember there is that that is in the "Na'vi Nì'aw" section of the forum, so the only Ìnglìsì you should use there is the definition of your created word.

Words that are just made up off the top of your head are typically not allowed - if you're using a contracted form of a word derived from multiple words give reasoning for it. (Like your "yom" + "tsawl" explanation [even though I think "yom" + "apxa" would work better.])
Oeyä ayswizawri tswayon alìm ulte takuk nìngay.
My arrows fly far and strike true.

Swoka Swizaw

Quote from: Alìm Tsamsiyu on February 15, 2010, 09:05:55 AM
I'm pretty sure "large," (apxa) or even "excessively large" (apxa nìhawng), as I used in my Yo Momma joke in the insults thread, will suffice for fat.  Combined with the pejorative infix on a nearby verb the meaning should be pretty clear.

"Ngeyä sa'nu fìtxan nìhawng apxa längu" - Your mom so exceedingly large be<PEJ> - Yo momma is so fat.

---------------

Anyway - I think we already have a thread for this sort of thing, the Thread of Dangerous Words where Taronyu is accepting words that can be added to the community-created (within reason!) pool of words to cover things we can't figure out quite yet in Na'vi.

Words like "forum," "noun, adjective, verb, etc.," and "vibrating tongue (prrkxentrrkrr)" can be found there.

The only important thing to remember there is that that is in the "Na'vi Nì'aw" section of the forum, so the only Ìnglìsì you should use there is the definition of your created word.

Words that are just made up off the top of your head are typically not allowed - if you're using a contracted form of a word derived from multiple words give reasoning for it. (Like your "yom" + "tsawl" explanation [even though I think "yom" + "apxa" would work better.])

Then, by all means, please close this. :)

Nume fpi sänume