Alphabet

Started by Skxawng, December 22, 2009, 04:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skxawng

Phonetics and Phonology

Na'vi has 20 consonants, 7 vowels, 4 diphthongs, and 2 syllabic "pseudovowels," rr and ll.

( ' ) tìFtang, A, AW, AY, Ä, E, EW, EY, Fä, Hä, I, Ì,

KeK, KxeKx, LeL, 'Ll, MeM, NeN, NgeNg, O, PeP, PxePx,

ReR, 'Rr, Sä, TeT, TxeTx, Tsä, U, Vä, Wä, Yä, Zä

Na'vi      IPA       Literal      Approximate English Example
'ʔ"uh-oh"
aaaah"father"
äæahh"cat", "pack"
awawaou"noun"
ayajeye"eye", "fly"
tst͡stSS"cats"
eɛeh"then"
ewɛwEh-w"Beowulf"
eyɛjaey"hey"
ffff"fool"
ngŋnng"sing", "lungs"
hhhh"ham"
iiee"machine", "prestige"
ìɪiih"thin", "bit"
kkk'"skill", "escape"
llll"left", "bell"
lllll"table"
mmmm"man", "ham"
nnnn"no", "tin"
oooh"mow", "old"
ppp'"spin", "happy"
rɾrrdMore info
rrtrtrtrStrongly trilled "r"
ssss"see", "city"
ttt'"still", "plastic"
uuoou"dude"
vvvv"voice", "have"
www'"we"
txMore info
kxMore info
pxMore info
yjy'"yes"
zzzz"zoo"

"prrkxentrrkrr is a skill best saved for only the most cunning linguist"

wm.annis

For strict IPA ay should be [aj] and ey [ɛj].

Also, the voiceless stops are unaspirated, which means that "skill" is a better English match than "kill," since English tends to aspirate initial voiceless stops.

Skxawng

Seze

Maybe change your Idiot column header to Skxawng, otherwise looking good...

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

Tiri

This is an awesome start.  ;D  For ng, do you mean glottal stop like Frommer described, or is heavy rear of throat something else here? :)  Irayo!

Skxawng

Quote from: Seze on December 22, 2009, 05:20:43 PM
Maybe change your Idiot column header to Skxawng, otherwise looking good...

Was thinking of doing that :P

Figured though that not all beginners would know that what they heard in the movie is written that way

Quote from: Tiri on December 22, 2009, 05:23:17 PM
This is an awesome start.  ;D  For ng, do you mean glottal stop like Frommer described, or is heavy rear of throat something else here? :)  Irayo!

Probably what Frommer said, considereing its his invention :P

And thanks!  It looks kind of crappy though, I really need to learn to do frames or whatever

Seze

Well, once we get the wiki up and running we could always link words to their definitions on the wiki.  It would be an easy way to interconnect to the wiki.

Skxawng

Quote from: Seze on December 22, 2009, 05:32:27 PM
Well, once we get the wiki up and running we could always link words to their definitions on the wiki.  It would be an easy way to interconnect to the wiki.

I was also just going to copy-paste the raw text where all the stuff would be in pretty columns into a word document, then take a screenshot and upload an image.

Tiri

Quote from: Z on December 22, 2009, 05:27:46 PM

Probably what Frommer said, considereing its his invention :P

And thanks!  It looks kind of crappy though, I really need to learn to do frames or whatever

I just wanted to make sure that this was the same mechanic like he described for the X and not a different throat thing.

The BB codes here have table goodies for you to play with, but I'm certainly not brave enough to attempt it yet. ;)

wisnij

Quote from: Z on December 22, 2009, 04:29:51 PM
r   -   -   [ r ]   -   rr   -   -   "run", "Very"

Both of those examples are the approximant [ɹ], not the flap [ɾ].  It's hard to give English examples because we don't have /ɾ/ as a distinct phoneme in most dialects, but perhaps the "tt" in better, which is [ˈbɛɾɚ] in general American.
Wé cildra biddaþ þé, éalá láréow, þæt þú taéce ús sprecan rihte, forþám ungelaérede wé sindon, and gewæmmodlíce we sprecaþ.

Skxawng

Quote from: Tiri on December 22, 2009, 05:34:42 PM
The BB codes here have table goodies for you to play with, but I'm certainly not brave enough to attempt it yet. ;)
as far as tables go, the SMF help site says the tables work exactly the same as html counterparts, so theoretically I could make the tables in like Dreamweaver, and just import the HTML and it'll work.

Until then there's this:

Quote from: wisnij on December 22, 2009, 05:41:45 PM
Quote from: Z on December 22, 2009, 04:29:51 PM
r   -   -   [ r ]   -   rr   -   -   "run", "Very"

Both of those examples are the approximant /ɹ/, not the flap /ɾ/.  It's hard to give English examples because we don't have /ɾ/ as a distinct phoneme in most dialects, but perhaps the "tt" in better, which is /ˈbɛɾɚ/ in general American.

Ooh good fix, Irayo!

Karyu Amawey

Wow...that looks perfect, except I have to agree that the [r] is actually a alveolar flap [ɾ] like the tt in butter as well!
Oel ayngati kameie

Skxawng

Karyu Amawey

Also, be careful with the IPA for the ejectives, as [!] is actually a click sound.  use the apostrophe instead, such as tx = [t']
Oel ayngati kameie

Seze

the r flap always reminds me of the English d sound, don't know if that would be better for the Idiots version or not...

Skxawng

Quote from: Seze on December 22, 2009, 05:48:33 PM
the r flap always reminds me of the English d sound, don't know if that would be better for the Idiots version or not...

I might just put a ??

also brand new graphic woot woot all pretty

Karyu Amawey

Haha, I suppose a d would be best for ayskxawng, but it might be best to really emphasize the flap so that we dont have a bunch of mispronouncing Na'Vi speakers running about!
Oel ayngati kameie

Skxawng

Quote from: Karyu Amawey on December 22, 2009, 06:04:50 PM
Haha, I suppose a d would be best for ayskxawng, but it might be best to really emphasize the flap so that we dont have a bunch of mispronouncing Na'Vi speakers running about!

Good point. Image updated, and I'll sticky or make a topic about the R Flap

Tiri

I have no way to host mp3s, but this is an audio grab I just did of Neytiri saying "nari" for reference. http://www.sendspace.com/file/2l74jq  It's only 17KB.  Not sure how you'll stick it in your alphabet though.

Payoang

Yoink!

I'm also starting an audio section in the forum to post recordings and all listenable examples.