correct pronunciation of these 4 short lines?

Started by Cumie-Singer, July 29, 2015, 09:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cumie-Singer

Hi!

Can someone help me with the correct pronunciation of these lines?  (And maybe tell me if there would be any major difference b/w speaking & singing? -- like if something would become quite smoothed over/undistinguishable while singing.)

N(a) ayvul
ahusawnu
M(i) aynar
Na seze

Would the first line be written this way?  N(a) ayvul
or, this way?  A N(a) ya vul

Many thanks!

Musicamor,

Cumie

Tirea Aean

Kaltxì! Hi there!

Welcome to Learn Na'vi forums :D

These look like some lines from one of my favourite Na'vi songs, the Tree Song (as seen here: http://wiki.learnnavi.org/index.php/Tree_Song ). :)

I'll upload a rec of me speaking it, if that helps.

The brackets signifies that the vowels merge and the one in the brackets disappears. The letter in the brackets let us know what word it was before the fluent blending of sounds. Still working on a recording.

Vawmataw

The Na'vi language is written as it is pronounced. Therefore, A n(a) ya vul is not correct. It's nice to ask it though.

The pronounciation of the two lines would be:
Nayvul ahusawnu,
Maynar
Na seze

Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Tirea Aean

The first part of the song can be heard on the Avatar Soundtrack, on the song "Jake's First Flight", starting at 03:41

As for your lines posted,

[audio=http://forum.learnnavi.org/MGalleryItem.php?id=6525]tìng mikyun (click to listen)[/audio]

Quote from: Vawmataw on July 29, 2015, 10:19:52 PM
Therefore, A n(a) ya vul is not correct. It's nice to ask it though.
??? OP looks correct to me?

EDIT: Oh, I see it. And all the stuff you said is on point too, ma Vawmataw. :)

DOUBLE EDIT: Na'vi is written as pronounced, but to an English speaker, "ay" is no the same as in English; English ay is Na'vi ey, and Na'vi ay is English eye.

Concerning this:

QuoteAnd maybe tell me if there would be any major difference b/w speaking & singing? -- like if something would become quite smoothed over/undistinguishable while singing.)

As far as I understand (I am not an authority on this matter, I merely speculate), there isn't a substantial difference between speaking and singing.  Both in speaking and singing, consecutive vowels tend to merge sometimes, which is why you got some brackets in song lyrics like in the ones posted here.

Cumie-Singer

Wow, irayo!!  You both gave great replies.  I appreciate it so much.  (If you happen to see the Cirque du Soleil Toruk show during the first year ~ I'll be singing as the Shaman.)  Thanks again :D

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Cumie-Singer on July 30, 2015, 06:04:58 PM
Wow, irayo!!  You both gave great replies.  I appreciate it so much.

Nìprrte'! You're welcome!

Quote(If you happen to see the Cirque du Soleil Toruk show during the first year ~ I'll be singing as the Shaman.)  Thanks again :D

Tewti! WOW That is so awesome! I will be sure to catch it if I can. :D

Vawmataw

You're welcome.

We are very pleased to help an actor concerning the Na'vi language.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Cumie-Singer on July 29, 2015, 09:50:47 PM
(And maybe tell me if there would be any major difference b/w speaking & singing? -- like if something would become quite smoothed over/undistinguishable while singing.)

My understanding is that spoken Na'vi vs sung Na'vi is fairly similar to most natural Earth languages. In fast conversation Na'vi syllables can blur together but generally you try to be precise (same as English). In singing, artistic license prevails and pronunciation can be bent slightly to accommodate the style of the song/singer. That said, Na'vi is a pretty "smooth" language to my ears so I suspect that the normal pronunciation will lend itself to singing quite readily.

Tìtstewan

Welcome to LearnNa'vi.org Cumie-Singer! :D

I can't really add much more since my previous posters already wrote useful information. I just remember me one Paul Frommer's blog post on his Na'viteri, where he posted Taronway - The Hunt Song. It has also audio examples.
http://naviteri.org/2013/08/taronway-the-hunt-song/

This is just as example, of course. :)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-