Double glottal stop

Started by Vawmataw, July 09, 2015, 09:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vawmataw

Now you're reading the title and you're saying ''hrhpeu?!''

Let's create an imaginary word:

'o''rr
The syllables are 'o' and 'rr. CVC + CP. Nothing is wrong.

• Is it still legal? If it's not, how is it illegalized? If it is, would Karyu Pawl illegalize it?
  • Would the double glottal stop just merge?

Edit: This discussion is the continuation of the one I had with Tìtstewan on TS3 yesterday.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Kemaweyan

QuoteIs it still legal? If it's not, how is it illegalized? If it is, would Frommer illegalize it?

I think no. I don't remember any comments from Pawl, but I'm pretty sure that it's impossible.

QuoteWould the double glottal stop just merge?

Probably yes. The same thing happens with a + a, er + rr and ol + ll:

a + apxa → apxa
  plltxe + ol → poltxe
  frrfen + er → frrfen

So I think 'o' + 'rr would be 'o'rr ;)
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Tìtstewan

Hmm... The idea behind this is, that there are two syllables that could make it possible to keep the letter like in ayyayo.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Vawmataw

I think the y is kept because it's essential as the plural marker.

Wllìm

As far as I know, double consonants are not permitted in words at all. Note that in ayyayo the first y is a part of a diphtong ay and hence doesn't count as a consonant.

Edit: oh wait, we still have slosneppe... ???

Vawmataw

Quotedouble consonants are not permitted in words at all
Except for rr and ll, but they count as pseudovowels.
2.1.4.4. Double consonants do not occur within root words, but may occur at morpheme boundaries,
for example in derivations, tsukkäteng < tsuk- + käteng, or with enclitics Mo'atta
Mo'at + ta (§2.1.5.3).

2.1.4.5. As is usual in most Human languages, some interjections break the rules, such as  oìsss,
a sound for anger, or saa, a threat cry.

Source: Horen leNa'vi

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Vawmataw on July 09, 2015, 11:57:56 AM
Quotedouble consonants are not permitted in words at all
Except for rr and ll, but they count as pseudovowels.
2.1.4.4. Double consonants do not occur within root words, but may occur at morpheme boundaries,
for example in derivations, tsukkäteng < tsuk- + käteng, or with enclitics Mo'atta
Mo'at + ta (§2.1.5.3).

2.1.4.5. As is usual in most Human languages, some interjections break the rules, such as oìsss,
a sound for anger, or saa, a threat cry.

Source: Horen leNa'vi

In to say this. ^

HRH.png @ "ILLEGAL OPERATION" ;D

Tìtstewan

^

I just found also a blog comment by Pawl about this:

Pawl March 23, 2011 at 10:25 am
Irayo ma Plumps. Yes, it's just tsukkäteng. In addition to your examples with -yu,
this kind of thing occurs a lot with adpositions: kinammì, ekxanne, Mo'atta, . . .
It's only at morpheme boundaries that you get doubled consonants.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I'm not sure that the syllable break in ʼoʼʼrr is a morpheme boundary. Plus, pronouncing two successive glottal stops really isn't possible, especially in the constraints of the Naʼvi language. There are other consonants where pronouncing two successive consonants is possible. It should be possible with all vowels

One coining such a word would be smart to contract it to ʼo 'rr.

On another note: 4000th post!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Plumps

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on July 11, 2015, 03:36:22 AM
I'm not sure that the syllable break in ʼoʼʼrr is a morpheme boundary. Plus, pronouncing two successive glottal stops really isn't possible, especially in the constraints of the Naʼvi language.

In the 'constraints of Na'vi' it isn't but Klingon does it all the time.

I also agree that it would contract to a simple glottal stop in a root word. If there was a pre-/suffix with a glottal stop it would remain, same as the boundaries in kilvanne, Mo'atta sl.

Mìftxele, was it ever cleared what happens when we say "without sense" postpositionally? ralluke or ral-luke? Or "beside the drink": naerrofa or naer-rofa:-\

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Plumps on July 11, 2015, 05:34:57 AM

Mìftxele, was it ever cleared what happens when we say "without sense" postpositionally? ralluke or ral-luke? Or "beside the drink": naerrofa or naer-rofa:-\
Ihmo, it remains still ralluke, because there will be not "suddenly" created a new pseudovowel. Such thing can't happen because a pseudovowel can't start with an vowel (ralluke, naerrofa).

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tìtstewan on July 11, 2015, 05:50:38 AM
Quote from: Plumps on July 11, 2015, 05:34:57 AM

Ihmo, it remains still ralluke, because there will be not "suddenly" created a new pseudovowel. Such thing can't happen because a pseudovowel can't start with an vowel (ralluke, naerrofa).
^This.

Vawmataw

Well, I think the question was answered and I thank ye. :) Double glottals, double consonants in root words and even triple consonants are prohibited.