Ejectives

Started by HawkPidgeon, December 21, 2009, 03:27:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Veryth on December 28, 2009, 05:14:09 PM
For anyone looking for more auditory references of ejectives in human languages, this was fairly helpful:

http://www.phonetics.ucla.edu/index/sounds.html#Anchor-Ejectives-47857
http://www.phonetics.ucla.edu/course/chapter11/navajo/navajo.html

Audio seems a bit clearer than the other one that was linked.

Good links!
私は太った男だ。

bagget00

wow, this is some hard stuff to learn as i have never been a good language person. Do you think there will ever be a school that will teach this language because someone being there to guide me would help a lot more than just reaqding about it online. But I so want to learn this language.
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

"Latin and Zombies. Technically dead, but still influencing society."

Author of http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-fanfiction/displayed/

Java

it helps to hop onto skype and listen to how people are saying the words plus you can ask questions and get feedback quickly.

Java

bagget00

well they had to have had a tutor for the actors. when do you think they will have tutors for the rest of us?
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

Java

I suppose it depends on how popular Na'vi becomes. I doubt Na'vi will ever be a language option in school, it'll probably end up more like Elvish or Klingon. Then again, in this day and age with the internet who knows.

bagget00

you see the problem for me is there would be no one around who would talk the same language as me so it wouldn't be fresh in my head from actually talking to someone which is the fastest way to learn. As JakeSully said in the movie, "So I figured it was like field stripping a rifle. Repetition, repetition, repitition."

Tswayonyu

Quote from: wm.annis on December 21, 2009, 07:44:40 AM
Quote from: Brainiac on December 21, 2009, 03:29:17 AM
I can't help but wonder how many people are led to a more serious study of language by things like Na'vi, Klingon before it and even Tolkien's elvish languages before that. Who else but a devoted fan of Star Trek is going to learn how to pronounce Klingon's lateral affricate consonant? And who else but a fan of the Na'vi is going to learn ejectives? Ejectives are quite common in native languages of the Americas. Perhaps some current Na'vi fan will move on to an endangered language like Navajo or one of the Mayan languages.

That would definitely be me... I discovered my love for linguistics through Quenya, especially Helge Fauskanger's wonderful "Ardalambion" site: his Quenya Course could be an introductory linguistics one, as it is written for people with no background whatsoever.

My family has had to get used to weird sounds when I'm around, from velarized plosives to pharyngeal consonants (Arabic REALLY sounds like you're going to cough something up sometimes...) :)

bagget00

ok well, would there be anyone willing to be paid for a one on one type deal in the future. could be money to that idea for those that already know it.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Quote from: Seze on December 21, 2009, 12:40:03 PM
Frommer gave a brief explanation of ejectives in this interview. Its nice to hear them in action...

This link seems to be broken. Could you put up a new one or tell me what to look up on youtube or something?

Irayo
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

judytuna

Here is one more resource with clickable audio samples of ejectives:

http://www.paulmeier.com/ipa/nonpulmonics.html

As a result, my kalt'ì sounds a little different from the other people on Skype... mine has more space between the t and the ì, like kalt....ì. I'm having trouble with "releasing" my throat to make the ì, since I find that the "release" makes a sound too, that you can hear in the links above, but that other people on Skype have seemed to found a way to roll over so the ì comes right on the t.

Doolio

yes, you can pronounce your ejectives more or less 'clicky' and 'choppy', for instance, when mo'at addresses jake in her first scene, she uses very gentle ejectives when saying 'your insaniTy Can be Cured'. she basically says 'insanitxi kxän bi kxyurd' but with very little emphasis on ejectives. frommer, on the other hand, uses more exaggerated ejectives. also, in existing languages you have these varieties as well. for instance, in navajo, ejectives are very emphasised and choppy, but i have also heard an audio sample of ejectives from some other language (can't remember which, though) that are pretty calm and don't disrupt the flow of the word.
what i (we) don't know is whether these differencies are arbitrary in na'vi, or they are using strictly one kind of ejectives, but, i feel that it is arbitrary as there are no other similar sounds in na'vi so the listener wouldn't be confused.
...taj rad...

Eywa ngahu

hey the link to the interwiev was damaged so found a new one, for all who would like to hear the pronounciations by Frommer :)

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/art/blog/2009/12/usc-prof-says-youre-speaking-my-language.html

I personally finds it extremely helpful :D

Kalkret

well just one note with the word skxawng, in the movie Jake does not pronounce it right, but everybody else does. I heard Tsutey pronounce it right. Then in an interview Sigourney Weaver pronounced it right as well. So i guess, Sam Worthington was not exactly right on it. Oh well, he still did very well on the American Accent. That one is not easy to do.

WillowFox

ok, i've got the glottal stop down, but i'm confused as to what is the marker for it. Is it the "px" or "p'"? i've seen both used in the same word even and it's just making me even more confused. someone help here, please.

Eywa ngahu

px is pronounced as a stressed p, which in the pronounciation is represented by the p´ (so this only concerns the way you pronounce the letter, not the way you write it, since the written version is px),
and in the written language the ´ represents the gluttoral stop.

(but do correct me if I am wrong ma aysmukan si aysmuke:))

wm.annis

Quote from: WillowFox on January 07, 2010, 02:44:10 PM
ok, i've got the glottal stop down, but i'm confused as to what is the marker for it. Is it the "px" or "p'"? i've seen both used in the same word even and it's just making me even more confused. someone help here, please.

The glottal stop is the apostrophe (Na'vi, tse'a).  In most languages with ejectives written in the Roman alphabet ejective consonants are indicated with an apostrophe right after the letter (as in Navajo k'é clan).  But for some reason Frommer chose to write the ejectives with an x, as in kxanì forbidden.

WillowFox

So... what? Are both to be used when they show up in the same word? Like the word for heart in the English/Na'vi glossary- txe'lan

wm.annis

Quote from: WillowFox on January 07, 2010, 04:53:22 PMSo... what? Are both to be used when they show up in the same word? Like the word for heart in the English/Na'vi glossary- txe'lan

Yup!

WillowFox

ok, then i've been pronouncing things ok so far... lol. thanks for the help or... Irayo (nì)txan nge-yä srung-ri.