I cant roll my R's

Started by Txonä Tìranyu, October 05, 2011, 07:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txonä Tìranyu

Its not that I dont know how, its I dont think it is physically possible for me to roll my R's, ive watched every youtube tutorial i could find, ive tried practicing for hours and never any success.  >:(

how important is it to roll your R's? I know in spanish you sound like a tard if you dont, is it the same in Na'vi?

Tuteyä amuiä 'itan

i think its pretty important b/c something like "krr" not rolled wouldnt sound right and someone might not even know what it is... just keep practicing someone said about singing along with rammstein and that helped with me to get the rolled r

Yayo

Trilled rrs are definitely important!  ;D Advice? Practise rapid tongue movement practise, practise, practise. I don't know... Just walk around busting out the ol' prrkxentrrkrr whenever you can.

Yayo on facebook
Skxaypxe: callofdoty95

Tirea Aean

There are countless threads on this by now. :P Have you checked around?

Anywho, I wish I knew how to explain the alveolar trill in such a routine way that anyone can be guaranteed to lean to do it right then and there, but alas I have yet do discover this method...

All I can say is I wish the best to you, and I do hear stories every so often of how people who could not do this now can due to practice. :D

Amaya

Maybe somebody should sticky the thread where I gave a really exacting physical explanation that seems to work for people?

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Amaya on October 05, 2011, 10:08:26 PM
Maybe somebody should sticky the thread where I gave a really exacting physical explanation that seems to work for people?

yeah, that thread needs a sticky cuz the topic keeps coming up like every 2-3 months...

EDIT: I just found two links on this exact subject.

http://forum.learnnavi.org/beginners/speech-problem/

Sometimes the answer to your question may be found in a subforum.:
http://forum.learnnavi.org/pronunciation-phonetics/trilled-rrs/

Amaya

The second topic you linked to is the one I was thinking of...maybe I should just re-write it and we can sticky it somewhere?

Tirea Aean

sure...

but there are a LOT of sticky posts in /beginners, /intermediate, and their child boards... hmmmmm

Äteya

I can't roll my rs either but my spanish teacher said keep your mouth open when you say the r. It doesn't help me roll it but it does draw it out a bit so I guess I just have to keep practicing. :-\

Vawm tsamsiyu

Quote from: Tirea Aean on October 05, 2011, 10:30:28 PM
sure...

but there are a LOT of sticky posts in /beginners, /intermediate, and their child boards... hmmmmm
well logically they should since they are where people need the most help.  maybe you can create a special board for topics like this.
they killed the [you] tag

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Vawm tsamsiyu on October 06, 2011, 10:32:12 PM
Quote from: Tirea Aean on October 05, 2011, 10:30:28 PM
sure...

well logically they should since they are where people need the most help.  maybe you can create a special board for topics like this.

I once created this old thread in hopes it would get stickied.  That subforum has a sticky about the Na'vi R but not RR.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Txärem te Parìk Tina'ite

Quote from: Äteya on October 06, 2011, 08:59:12 PM
I can't roll my rs either but my spanish teacher said keep your mouth open when you say the r. It doesn't help me roll it but it does draw it out a bit so I guess I just have to keep practicing. :-\

Oh, I just tried this because I was also having difficulties rolling the R's and it worked. Thank you for posting your teacher's advice for others to see!

Äteya

Your welcome. I'll have to tell her she helped someone that has problems with a language that she probably doesn't even know about. ;D

Amaya

Maybe my exercise will also help, I'll repost it in here for you for now 8)

Here's an exercise for you.  First, let your mouth relax open and let out a strong breath "Huhhhhh"

break

Now open your mouth and make the motion for an "L".  Slide the tip of your tongue back a bit until it moves from the back of the teeth onto the hard palate.  Feel the shape of the inside of your mouth, make yourself aware of what the position of your tongue, jaws and cheeks feels like.

Now repeat the first exercise, but instead of just letting your tongue rest in the bottom of your mouth, bring the tip up toward that place on the hard palate.  You need to make it quite a forceful breath for this to work, but when your tongue is most of the way up but BEFORE IT TOUCHES THE PALATE you should begin to feel/hear it vibrate.

Practice, practice, practice!!!

Txonä Tìranyu

Quote from: Amaya on October 07, 2011, 10:32:17 AM
Maybe my exercise will also help, I'll repost it in here for you for now 8)

Here's an exercise for you.  First, let your mouth relax open and let out a strong breath "Huhhhhh"

break

Now open your mouth and make the motion for an "L".  Slide the tip of your tongue back a bit until it moves from the back of the teeth onto the hard palate.  Feel the shape of the inside of your mouth, make yourself aware of what the position of your tongue, jaws and cheeks feels like.

Now repeat the first exercise, but instead of just letting your tongue rest in the bottom of your mouth, bring the tip up toward that place on the hard palate.  You need to make it quite a forceful breath for this to work, but when your tongue is most of the way up but BEFORE IT TOUCHES THE PALATE you should begin to feel/hear it vibrate.

Practice, practice, practice!!!

Wow so far that was the most helpfull thing I have read yet! another place that has been extreamly helpfull for me is http://www.wikihow.com/Roll-Your-%22R%22s

Thanks all for the help :D

Txonä Tìranyu

sorry for the double post, but after many toung excercises  :P and many times saying "Practice" with a 'd' in front of the 'r' I finally got it, first I was like  :-X then  :o then Heck Yeah!  >:( then  :D . lol I still practice all the time for fear of losing it.

Againg thanks for all the help.

Tirea Aean

It's awesome to hear of another case where practice can actually work for this.

Yayo

I've decided I'm going to come up with a list of excerises during the summer that one can do to help with pronunciation. Especially trilled rrs.

Yayo on facebook
Skxaypxe: callofdoty95

Kamean

Quote from: Letxona Tìranyu on October 13, 2011, 06:40:56 PM
sorry for the double post, but after many toung excercises  :P and many times saying "Practice" with a 'd' in front of the 'r' I finally got it, first I was like  :-X then  :o then Heck Yeah!  >:( then  :D . lol I still practice all the time for fear of losing it.

Againg thanks for all the help.
Seykxel nìtramsì! :)
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.