lenition???

Started by jotitax, January 18, 2010, 03:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jotitax

hi, can somebody help me with a little problem :/

if you want to change tokx into plural you have to add ay+ ( aysokx or just sokx ) \
                                                                                                                 } ----> how i know that sokx mean "bodies" or " 2 bodies"
but if you want to talk about 2 bodies you add me+           ( mesokx or just sokx ) /

PD: sorry, I don't speak english very well
It's not about eye-hand cordination, you have to listen to what she says - dr. grace agustine

omängum fra'uti

For 2 bodies, it's always mesokx.  The ONLY leniting prefix you can drop is ay+.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

jotitax

irayo ma omängum fra'uti ;D
It's not about eye-hand cordination, you have to listen to what she says - dr. grace agustine

roger

Yes, in the case of Na'vi, "plural" means four or more, not two or more as it does re English.

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

For our purposes though it will have to be 3 or more until we get the trial form.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

omängum fra'uti

I don't see of it so much as "more than X" but rather just "An unspecified amount" - however that could be my English mind filling that in.

suomichris

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on January 19, 2010, 10:55:51 PM
I don't see of it so much as "more than X" but rather just "An unspecified amount" - however that could be my English mind filling that in.
Well, yes, an unspecified amount... Hmm... I wonder about this.  I mean, if you're looking for nantang, and you don't know how many you will see, you would presumably use the plural, even though you might only see one or two or three...  But, I imagine any time the amount is clear, you'll only get plural if you have four or more (or, currently, three, since we don't have those trial forms yet...).

Erimeyz

If dual is for things that come in pairs, don't you think trial will be for things that come in threes, and not just any old three of anything?

... what comes in threes, anyway?  I suppose on Pandora it could be damn near anything, like threes of pairs of legs on hexapedes.

- Eri

suomichris

Quote from: Erimeyz on January 20, 2010, 01:22:46 AM
If dual is for things that come in pairs, don't you think trial will be for things that come in threes, and not just any old three of anything?

... what comes in threes, anyway?  I suppose on Pandora it could be damn near anything, like threes of pairs of legs on hexapedes.
Nah, dual isn't just for things that come in pairs, it's for two of ANYTHING; likewise with trial...

Erimeyz

Hm.  Wikipedia says: "besides singular and plural, [nouns] have special dual forms for two of an item (eyes, hands, lovers, etc.)"  That wording strongly suggests to me that its for pairs of things, not just two things.

I have no idea what WP relies on for that, or if that's even what they meant to imply.

Sources? Anyone? Bueller?

- Eri

Na'rìghawnu

According to the usage in ancient Greek e. g. (where they have a dual too), it's the fact, that the dual is used normally for things that come in pairs more or less naturally (legs, arms, partners in a marriage etc.). In case the "two-ness" of something is just randomly, the use of dual and plural doesn't follow a strict rule. It's often dual, but sometimes also plural.

kewnya txamew'itan

We have at least one canonical clip of Neytiri saying menga IIRC so dual forms are not restricted to things that naturally come in twos, it's just easiest for languages lacking duals to think of them that way.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

omängum fra'uti

You can also clearly hear "mefo yìm", from Eytukan I believe.  (Might have been Tsu'tey though, memory is a little foggy.)

wm.annis

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on January 20, 2010, 04:13:25 PM
You can also clearly hear "mefo yìm", from Eytukan I believe.  (Might have been Tsu'tey though, memory is a little foggy.)

mefo-t yìm;)

Also, in Homer's Greek the dual is more productive, and can easily refer to two people, say.

omängum fra'uti

Yeah that :P

I knew that two, yet typed it without the accusitive twice. :/

donjoe

Are there any clear rules for when to apply lenition?

SanguineEpitaph

If a word begins with kx, tx, px, ts, p, or k, that word lenits when fitted with a leniting prefix.

Me-, pxe-, and ay- are leniting prefixes. When people write them down, if they divide a word up by prefix, suffix, etc. then they may write "me+___".  The + indicates lenition.

Anyway, I'll write some examples:

Tokx - Body

Mesokx, pxesokx, aysokx (or just sokx)

Kifkey - World

Mehifkey, pxehifkey, ayhifkey

Po - S/he

Mefo, pxefo, ayfo

And so on. I think the only leniting prefixes are the plurals, but I may be mistaken about that.

Hope this helps!
Kuarŏ na nama tanayi cawŏŏt, kuo nim zaosmaŏt.
"Out of what crypt they crawl, I cannot tell."

Erimeyz

Good answer!  There's a bit more, though.

In your list, you left out "t".

You also left out the glottal stop '.  A lenited glottal stop simply is dropped.  For example: 'upxare "message", meupxare "two messages".

Some adpositions also trigger lenition.  We know that "in" does, and it may be that ftu "from" does also.  We don't know whether any others do.  Leniting adpositions cause lenition when used in front of the noun, as in mì te'lan "in the heart".  Adpositions can also be appended to the ends of nouns, as in txe'lanmì "in the heart", in which case they do not cause lenition.

If a noun undergoes lenition with the plural marker ay+, the ay can then optionally be dropped, leaving just the lenited noun.  E.g. ay+txe'lan -> ayte'lan -> te'lan "hearts".  Either ayte'lan or te'lan can be used.  Ay can be dropped because the lenited form is unambiguously distinct from the unlenited form, meaning you can tell that txe'lan is singular and te'lan is plural.

You can't drop the ay from nouns that don't undergo lenition, i.e. those that don't start with kx, tx, px, k, t, p, ts, or '.

The number prefixes me+ (dual) and pxe+ (trial) cause lenition, but they can't be dropped afterwards like ay+ can.  Which makes sense if you think about it: if all three could be dropped, they would all look the same after being dropped, and you couldn't tell whether the lenited noun was dual, trial, or plural.

Hope this helps!

- Eri

SanguineEpitaph

Ah, yes, I thought I was missing some. Thanks, ma Erimeyz. :)
Kuarŏ na nama tanayi cawŏŏt, kuo nim zaosmaŏt.
"Out of what crypt they crawl, I cannot tell."

donjoe

Quote from: Erimeyz on January 22, 2010, 08:32:08 AMIf a noun undergoes lenition with the plural marker ay+, the ay can then optionally be dropped, leaving just the lenited noun.  E.g. ay+txe'lan -> ayte'lan -> te'lan "hearts".  Either ayte'lan or te'lan can be used.  Ay can be dropped because the lenited form is unambiguously distinct from the unlenited form, meaning you can tell that txe'lan is singular and te'lan is plural.
Damn. This is the kind of gratuitously complicated rule that can quickly turn a language irritating for me.

Anyway, irayo ma Erimeyz sì ma SanguineEpitaph!