Learn Na'vi > Pronunciation / Phonetics

Na'vi Linguistics: the Syllable

<< < (2/4) > >>

suomichris:

--- Quote from: omängum fra'uti on January 22, 2010, 07:10:01 pm ---I think Frommer's approach of calling /ll/ and /rr/ psuedo-vowels, and calling the whole set of vowels, diphthongs and psuedo-vowels as "syllabic vowels" may be the least confusing approach for just teaching the language (vs teaching linguistics).

--- End quote ---
I haven't see this, but it is confusing, as diphthongs can't stand as the nucleus of a syllable...

wm.annis:

--- Quote from: suomichris on January 22, 2010, 07:06:40 pm ---So, we have to do something else, and use the allomorph of the ergative marker /-ìl/ instead, giving us /trrìl/, which is fine as far as Na'vi phonology goes.
--- End quote ---

Ahh!  I hadn't thought of that.

--- Quote ---But can we talk about Berber instead???
--- End quote ---

No.  ;)

omängum fra'uti:

--- Quote from: suomichris on January 22, 2010, 07:35:26 pm ---
--- Quote from: omängum fra'uti on January 22, 2010, 07:10:01 pm ---I think Frommer's approach of calling /ll/ and /rr/ psuedo-vowels, and calling the whole set of vowels, diphthongs and psuedo-vowels as "syllabic vowels" may be the least confusing approach for just teaching the language (vs teaching linguistics).

--- End quote ---
I haven't see this, but it is confusing, as diphthongs can't stand as the nucleus of a syllable...

--- End quote ---
They can in Na'vi.  It's spelled out on his explanation of phonetics.

In that way, "tspayk" (Just threw together some sounds there, didn't feel like searching the corpus for an example) is a perfectly acceptable syllable.

In Frommer's words, from the language log,

--- Quote ---Every syllable has a single vowel or diphthong at its center. Each vowel or diphthong in a word corresponds to a separate syllable. A single vowel or diphthong may be a syllable by itself.

Within syllables, Na’vi vowels and diphthongs can be preceded by either one or two consonants. They can also be followed by one consonant. That is, the syllable structure is (C)(C)V(C), where V represents a vowel or a diphthong. Restrictions on which consonants can occur in which positions are given below.
--- End quote ---

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn:
hehe ma suomichris you just got buuurned.

suomichris:

--- Quote from: omängum fra'uti on January 22, 2010, 07:43:24 pm ---
--- Quote from: suomichris on January 22, 2010, 07:35:26 pm ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
They can in Na'vi.  It's spelled out on his explanation of phonetics.

In that way, "tspayk" (Just threw together some sounds there, didn't feel like searching the corpus for an example) is a perfectly acceptable syllable.

In Frommer's words, from the language log,

--- Quote ---Every syllable has a single vowel or diphthong at its center. Each vowel or diphthong in a word corresponds to a separate syllable. A single vowel or diphthong may be a syllable by itself.

Within syllables, Na’vi vowels and diphthongs can be preceded by either one or two consonants. They can also be followed by one consonant. That is, the syllable structure is (C)(C)V(C), where V represents a vowel or a diphthong. Restrictions on which consonants can occur in which positions are given below.
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Ah, sorry, I misunderstood you; "diphthongs" is, to me, always included in the category of vowels.  I thought, from what you were saying, that you meant that "y" and "w" by themselves could stand in as a nucleus.

That said, though, we still see differences between vowels (included diphthongs) and rr/ll: namely, as your example "tspayk" shows, you can still have a consonant following a diphthong, but not rr/ll, so it is worth distinguishing them...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version