No d, g in Na'vi?

Started by Plumps, January 02, 2010, 08:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Srereu Aynantanghu

ah, here we go, ʒ occurs in the english word 'vision', which in IPA is spelled [ˈvɪʒən]

kewnya txamew'itan

Quote from: unil-tìran-tokx on January 03, 2010, 06:20:20 AM
there's also no j... which makes it impossible to say my own name...(jasper)
btw i was listening to a interview at talknavi.com and frommer pronounces oel ngati kameie as: oel ngati kame...
and really fast too...,but maybe i just heard it wrong...

eywa ayngahu

I heard that too. He's just taken out the laudative infix <ei> so he's no longer implying that seeing you is good.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Taronyu

Quote from: Harìghawnu on January 04, 2010, 02:06:49 AM

Well, I've got the vocabulary list from the survival guide. As I said ... I can't find all these mistakes. And besides - many of the words, that you mark with "SG" - ARE NOT in the survival guide vocab list. Do you have the book? Where do you get such words from? They are NOT in the vocab list of the SG.

S is used for the list at the end of the book. This is where most of our words are from. At least two are wrong: nìayoeg and tutee. Words marked with SG come from the middle of the book. I'll give a full list of illegal words in a bit, I might actually put them in a different section of the dictionary. I DO have the book, I did check every page.

Na'rìghawnu

Ah, I see. Well ..., if there are so many dubious words used outside the "dictionary" given in the Survival guide, I would suggest, that we don't use them in learning Na'vi. If there are so many obvious mistakes, they seem not to have been "blessed" by Frommer. So I don't like to learn and use them, because there is to much danger, that I have to unlearn them later.
Anyway, thanks for your answer.

Taronyu

Quote from: Harìghawnu on January 04, 2010, 07:32:10 AM

Ah, I see. Well ..., if there are so many dubious words used outside the "dictionary" given in the Survival guide, I would suggest, that we don't use them in learning Na'vi. If there are so many obvious mistakes, they seem not to have been "blessed" by Frommer. So I don't like to learn and use them, because there is too much danger, that I have to unlearn them later.
Anyway, thanks for your answer.

The problem is that many of them are obviously frommerian, by the way they are constructed. I'm probably going to give a full run-down on the list, somewhere.

Plumps

Quote from: Harìghawnu on January 04, 2010, 02:00:15 AM
What list are you talking about? It can't be the vocabulary-list of the "Survival guide", since both words don't occure there.
The only word with a strange spelling, that I found there, is "Nìaoyeg", but the "g" there may be explaint, since I suppose, that Dr Frommer gave his list containing "g" instead of "ng" (and "c" instead of "ts") to the publishers, who changed "g" into "ng" ... and missed this one.

I think I got that one from the Glossary with categories from the download page of www.learnnavie.org/downloads/

Na'rìghawnu

QuoteI think I got that one from the Glossary with categories from the download page of www.learnnavie.org/downloads/

In other words: second- or third-hand material, which doesn't indicate, from what sources the words are taken. I would say: If these lists contain words, which clearly contradict the rules Frommer himself gave us about the language, don't regard them as trustworthy! There are soooo many sites and materials about Na'vi popping out in the internet everywhere at the moment, but that doesn't mean, that they contain reliable information. If you take a close look: They are all derived from the same little sources again and again. The difference between good and bad material is: Do they clearly indicate their sources, so that anybody can verify their validity, or don't they do that? That's the way all science works. Don't take information, that came from somewhere out of the blue, for granted!

And, as I said: If a word clearly contradicts Frommer's rules (e. g. about the phonetics of the Na'vi-language), don't take it to serious.

I'en Olo'eyktan

Ive been trying to form a bit of a conversation Via E-mail with Dr. Frommer and he says in an email that he cannot release any form of learning software, or book or whatnot because he only makes the language. he doesn't have the rights to it since he made it for the movie.

Tskxäozì Ewaoe

Dude, we've heard that a billion times... jeez.

Taronyu

Quote from: Tskxäozì Ewaoe on January 05, 2010, 04:58:33 AM
Dude, we've heard that a billion times... jeez.

Dude, be nice to people. Look at the poor kid's post count.

Right. I've updated my dictionary, guys, and took all illegal words, specified why they were illegal, and put them in an appendix. I think this should work really well to wrap up this thread. Let me know if you have anything more to say. Dictionary = my signature.

Plumps

Quote from: Harìghawnu on January 05, 2010, 02:05:25 AM
QuoteI think I got that one from the Glossary with categories from the download page of www.learnnavie.org/downloads/

In other words: second- or third-hand material, which doesn't indicate, from what sources the words are taken. I would say: If these lists contain words, which clearly contradict the rules Frommer himself gave us about the language, don't regard them as trustworthy! There are soooo many sites and materials about Na'vi popping out in the internet everywhere at the moment, but that doesn't mean, that they contain reliable information. If you take a close look: They are all derived from the same little sources again and again. The difference between good and bad material is: Do they clearly indicate their sources, so that anybody can verify their validity, or don't they do that? That's the way all science works. Don't take information, that came from somewhere out of the blue, for granted!

And, as I said: If a word clearly contradicts Frommer's rules (e. g. about the phonetics of the Na'vi-language), don't take it to serious.

I wasn't going to ;) Not that the words that I've given were ever to appear in one of my sentences *lol* because I find them rather useless, it was just a curious thing that struck me as odd ;)

I'm really astnonished by Taronyu's list how many words are so-called "illegal" in spelling or derivation... am wondering how they could enter the lexicon at all *head shaking*

Thanks again for clarifying! :)