No d, g in Na'vi?

Started by Plumps, January 02, 2010, 08:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plumps

... apart from b, j, and q that's what Frommer said in his Some Highlights of Na'vi. I know that g appears in the nasal sound "ng" but other than that I thought g was excluded from the alphabet as well.
Now I came across at least 2 words in the vocabulary list
iveh k'nivi s'dir = baby carrier/sling
and
Lenay'ga = Slinger (predatory creature)

Any explanations for that?

Irayo ... in advance :)

omumyu

My guess is that they are some of the words that cameron created before Frommer started working on the language.

Coda

Yeah, those words seem to be either poorly transcribed or inserted into the survival guide without Dr. Frommer's consent.  Given that they're both rather esoteric words, I would just ignore them until we get some clarification from the man, himself.

Tskxäozì Ewaoe

It's possible there's lenition that Frommer hasn't mention yet...

omängum fra'uti

If that were the case, he would have told us there's a /d/ or /g/ sound in Na'vi, which there is not.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Tskxäozì Ewaoe

well, I don't think Frommer would just explain the 'd' and 'g' by saying it was a mistake ---"

Plumps

If all else fails - it's always an older form of the language ;) or a dialect of some kind :)

/d g/ couldn't be lenition - could be something like eclipsis as in the celtic languages, Irish cloch (stone) => ar an gcloch (on the stone) (sound: g); teach (house) => naoi dteach (nine houses) (sound: d)

But I agree, he would have told us from the beginning if such a thing existed.

Atanä mungeyu

there's also no j... which makes it impossible to say my own name...(jasper)
btw i was listening to a interview at talknavi.com and frommer pronounces oel ngati kameie as: oel ngati kame...
and really fast too...,but maybe i just heard it wrong...

eywa ayngahu
I haz teh DVD yaaaayy xD

nederlandse pocket guide door mij en txura tirea.

Plumps

Quote from: unil-tìran-tokx on January 03, 2010, 06:20:20 AM

Well, either you go for the biblical(?) pronunciation and do something like (Na'vi) Yäsper, or you look at the loanwords and see if there is a corresponding sound and see what they did with it... I know that gunship became kunsip und doctor became toktor, so you need the voiceless sound for you [ dʒ ] - I'm not a professional linguist but I'm sure there are a lot of people here who can help you...
After all, even the Na'vi could pronounce "Jake Sully" ;)

Atanä mungeyu

Quote from: Plumps83 on January 03, 2010, 06:43:58 AM
Quote from: unil-tìran-tokx on January 03, 2010, 06:20:20 AM

Well, either you go for the biblical(?) pronunciation and do something like (Na'vi) Yäsper, or you look at the loanwords and see if there is a corresponding sound and see what they did with it... I know that gunship became kunsip und doctor became toktor, so you need the voiceless sound for you [ dʒ ] - I'm not a professional linguist but I'm sure there are a lot of people here who can help you...
After all, even the Na'vi could pronounce "Jake Sully" ;)

XD irayo
I haz teh DVD yaaaayy xD

nederlandse pocket guide door mij en txura tirea.

Srereu Aynantanghu

in the movie they always pronounce jake with a ʒ, which is also not in the na'vi grammar. I have a feeling frommer is going to have to do some backpedaling to make everything fit together. Maybe they just weren't expecting such close inspection of the language, although I find that a little hard to believe

Taronyu

I firmly believe that Frommer is the one to trust.

The activist guide made many, many mistakes. From mispelling, to adding [tʃ], [ʃ] [g], /b/, [c], [ʒ] and [d].

I think (somewhat precociously) the frommerian phonetic situation is best described by me in the phonetics section here.

Srereu Aynantanghu

QuoteI think (somewhat precociously) the frommerian phonetic situation is best described by me in the phonetics section here.

Wow, you keep putting documents like this together and you're gonna get a cease and desist letter from Fox. How are they gonna sell Na'vi language books with this already out there.

I too believe Frommer is the authority, HOWEVER he's going to have to be accountable for other's mistakes up until he releases definitive documents. Lots of things can be brushed aside as non-cannon (the games) or as "intentional" mistakes made to make the humans look flawed in their understanding of na'vi, but if a native in the movie says something, The doctor is going to have to make his rules explain why they said it that way

Taronyu

I'm really worried about that, actually.

As for ʒ = well, it's only used in a loan word, so I don't think it should be counted in the language's phonetic discussion.

Na'rìghawnu

QuoteNow I came across at least 2 words in the vocabulary list
iveh k'nivi s'dir = baby carrier/sling
and
Lenay'ga = Slinger (predatory creature)

What list are you talking about? It can't be the vocabulary-list of the "Survival guide", since both words don't occure there.
The only word with a strange spelling, that I found there, is "Nìaoyeg", but the "g" there may be explaint, since I suppose, that Dr Frommer gave his list containing "g" instead of "ng" (and "c" instead of "ts") to the publishers, who changed "g" into "ng" ... and missed this one.

@Taronyu
QuoteThe activist guide made many, many mistakes. From mispelling, to adding [tʃ], [ʃ] [g], /b/, [c], [ʒ] and [d].
Are you talking about the Vocabulary-list there? Then I dont see all those mentioned mistakes. Can you give me examples?

Taronyu

Harìghawnu, if you have the survivale guide, look at almost any of the non-plant entries for illegal phonotactic contsructions.

Or, alternatively, look at the posts that say "SG" in my dictionary, the ones that have a ɸ after them. There are many.

Srereu Aynantanghu

QuoteAs for ʒ = well, it's only used in a loan word, so I don't think it should be counted in the language's phonetic discussion.
I suppose you're right, it just seems odd to me that the na'vi could learn ʒ and not j, since neither are in their phonetic library. I'm also very interested to see why Moat calls Jake toruk maktaw, as I have mentioned in another thread  :P

btw, is thread the right terminology? I'm quite new to forum use.

Na'rìghawnu

Well, I've got the vocabulary list from the survival guide. As I said ... I can't find all these mistakes. And besides - many of the words, that you mark with "SG" - ARE NOT in the survival guide vocab list. Do you have the book? Where do you get such words from? They are NOT in the vocab list of the SG.

omängum fra'uti

Quote from: Srereu Nantanghu on January 04, 2010, 02:03:39 AM
I suppose you're right, it just seems odd to me that the na'vi could learn ʒ and not j, since neither are in their phonetic library. I'm also very interested to see why Moat calls Jake toruk maktaw, as I have mentioned in another thread  :P

btw, is thread the right terminology? I'm quite new to forum use.
If I'm understanding the sounds right (Sorry I don't speak IPA) ʒ is somewhat between a y and j sound isn't it?
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Srereu Aynantanghu

QuoteIf I'm understanding the sounds right (Sorry I don't speak IPA) ʒ is somewhat between a y and j sound isn't it?
If I remember my linguistics classes properly, the voiced palato-alveolar fricative ʒ only occurs in english in words we have borrowed from french. Unfortunately I can't think of a word that uses it other then je (french for "me", I think, and if you haven't heard it that doesn't help you much)

Technically, in IPA there is no symbol for j, its actually 'dʒ'. If you can think of j as 2 sounds mashed together, and take the d part off the front, then what you have left is ʒ