oe lu skxawng...

Started by Neyn'ite Te Tsahìk Txeptsyìp'ite, September 07, 2011, 08:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neyn'ite Te Tsahìk Txeptsyìp'ite

did I really just figure out that, in Avatar, they pronounce 'tsahìk' wrong the *entire* movie?
old gallery link?id=2025[/img]

oel ayngati kameie, ma aysmukan sì aysmuke, Eywa ayngahu.
oeyä tsmukan, ma Nick, oeru ngaytxoa livu. nìmwey tsurokx. nga yawne lu oer.

Seze Mune

srane.... it sounds so weird pronouncing it the right way now, lol! I wonder why Frommer wasn't more involved in making sure things were pronounced correctly? I'd understand if you could only do a take so many times, but not once was tsahìk pronounced correctly. same with skxawng. I could get going on all the pronunciation errors ("Tìng mAkyun!" :-[) but it seems strange that words, used so many times, wouldn't be corrected; that James Cameron would have overlooked that. I wonder how they'll do with the coming films.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Neyn'ite Te Tsahìk Txeptsyìp'ite on September 07, 2011, 10:05:05 PM
...but it seems strange that words, used so many times, wouldn't be corrected; that James Cameron would have overlooked that. I wonder how they'll do with the coming films.

I can only hope they do a better job, and after the re-release, my hopes are kinda high :)

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Kamean

Quote("Tìng mAkyun!")
And Tsu'tey always says - "KivA ko1" instead - Kivä ko! ;)

I think that in the second and third films pronunciation would be corrected. :)
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Seze Mune

Quote from: Kamean on September 08, 2011, 10:50:49 AM
Quote("Tìng mAkyun!")
And Tsu'tey always says - "KivA ko1" instead - Kivä ko! ;)

I think that in the second and third films pronunciation would be corrected. :)

Yes, I think you're right.  And I think they should let Tirea Aean be the supportive karyu to Dr. Frommer....on the set!

then, right before Eytukan's death, when he tells Neytiri to "Kä, kä!" he says, basically, "Ke, ke!" instead. ;D

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Neyn'ite Te Tsahìk Txeptsyìp'ite on September 08, 2011, 03:57:25 PM
then, right before Eytukan's death, when he tells Neytiri to "Kä, kä!" he says, basically, "Ke, ke!" instead. ;D

Once it sounded something like an unclear keyä — perhaps a blend between and kehe.

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Syulang

how are you supposed to pronounce 'Tsahik'? I didn't notice it was worng until I read this post...  :P

Yeah, I did notice some weird pronuonciation. The "ting makyun" instead of 'ting mikyun'. What about when Neytiri says 'kawkrr'? It sounds to me almost like shes saying 'keltsa'  ;D
Oel ayngati kameie ma oeyä aysmukan sì aysmuke ulte Eywa ayngahu livu

munea kifkey, 'awa soaia

Plumps

Quote from: Syulang on September 08, 2011, 11:17:48 PM
how are you supposed to pronounce 'Tsahik'? I didn't notice it was worng until I read this post...  :P
They pronounce it exactly as you have written it ;) it's tsahìk and not *tsahik ... there's a difference ;)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Plumps on September 09, 2011, 02:21:40 AM
Quote from: Syulang on September 08, 2011, 11:17:48 PM
They pronounce it exactly as you have written it ;) it's tsahìk and not *tsahik ... there's a difference ;)

Tsahìk is pronounced with an ì like the i in 'lip'. This is how the word should be pronounced, as Plumps points out.
Tsahik is pronounced with an i like the e sound in 'geek'. This, unfortunately, is how it was pronounced in the film.

If this sort of thing bothers you, it is a sign that you are well on the way to being a good Na'vi speaker!  :) 

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

ma Syulang, I hear 'cowka!' ::) it is 'KAWKRRRRRR', ma Zoe! she could trill her R's, why no rolling? I also noticed her (as well as the actor playing Tsu'tey) to pronounce 'fayvRRtep' correctly. :P

aw, irayo ma 'Eylan! :D I kind of wish they would change it to tsahik, because I like that pronunciation better than it's real pronunciation. *shrug* oh well.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Neyn'ite Te Tsahìk Txeptsyìp'ite on September 12, 2011, 09:09:19 AM
ma Syulang, I hear 'cowka!' ::) it is 'KAWKRRRRRR', ma Zoe! she could trill her R's, why no rolling? I also noticed her (as well as the actor playing Tsu'tey) to pronounce 'fayvRRtep' correctly. :P

aw, irayo ma 'Eylan! :D I kind of wish they would change it to tsahik, because I like that pronunciation better than it's real pronunciation. *shrug* oh well.

The more I watch Avatar now, the nore mispronunciations I am picking up. Not that I am perfect, though  ::)

But I agree with you. I like Tsahik better.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tirea Aean

I personally like tsahìk how it is. Agreed that the movie is full of pronunciation errors. Also will agree that there is none perfect, no, not one. ;)

'Oma Tirea

I heard Tsu'tey/Laz say fayvrrtep just fine.  Neytiri/Zoë really butchered it to the point where it cause some serious misunderstandings.  How was it even confirmed that that line was "fayvrrtep" and not something else?

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on September 13, 2011, 02:47:18 AM

I heard Tsu'tey/Laz say fayvrrtep just fine.  Neytiri/Zoë really butchered it to the point where it cause some serious misunderstandings.  How was it even confirmed that that line was "fayvrrtep" and not something else?

What else makes any sense? And we knew about the word "fayvrrtep" since the beginning, I think. And Since before my day we had "Fayvrrtep fìtsenge lu kxanì" in the corpus. I think you might be right that it was inferred she said fayvrrtep, but I can hear it. It's not like it was so bad to the point that no case for "fayvrrtep" could be made there.

ma 'Oma, because it was really the only plausible phrase; if the trilling of the r's was not necessary, it would have been perfect.

Tsu'tey rolled his R, but only once- with two r's, you roll it more than once. he did better than Zoe, srane, but not correctly. :D