Prnunciation for a Navi Haiku

Started by alantower, January 13, 2010, 01:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantower

I would love some help in how to pronounce this beautiful Haiku in Navi I saw on this board by
omängum fra'uti   Olo'eyktan   Taronyu

I am creating a chant over a Shruti Box drone.

Here it is. Is there is a way to indicate how to pronnounce and how many syllables are involved?
Many thanks for any help on this.  Alan Tower.

Ikran tswolayon
Slu oengl na 'awpoti
Ftu kllte alìm

Mountain banshee flight
Together we become one
Far above the ground

The more literal translation of the Na'vi would be more like:
Mountain Banshee flight
Become we as one
Far from the ground
Which is of course all wrong as a haiku.

Kiliyä

Quote from: alantower on January 13, 2010, 01:15:21 PMIkran tswolayon
Slu oengl na 'awpoti
Ftu kllte alìm

A basic attempt:
eek-rahn ts-woh-leye-ohn                5
sloo oh-ehng-l nah /ow-poh-tee         7 but see below, prolly 8
ff-too k-l-teh ah-lim                        5

Breaking the syllables up is tricksy, but I think the above is a reasonable guess.  The '/' basically means cut off all air before the following vowel sound.  It's hard to describe, but there are threads around and audio on TalkNavi.org, I believe.

ah = f-ah-ther
oh = p-o-t
eh = p-eh-t
ee = p-ee-t (as in the moss)
eye = -eye- (simple, really!)
oo = b-oo-t
ow = kung p-ow
i = p-i-t

ts = pi-ts

I think everything else is pretty straight forward.  The only other thing is that I think oengl needs to be oengìl instead.
Peu sa'nokyä ayoengyä?  Pefya ayoeng poeru kìte'e sayi?
Pefya ayoengìl poeti hayawnu, na poel ayoengit hawnu?

What of our mother?  How shall we serve her?  How shall we protect her as she protects us?

kewnya txamew'itan

Kiliyä is correct, it should be oengìl, although, as this is poetry, you can probably get away with dropping the -ìl in order to preserve the rhythm.

Also the verb for fly is tswon not tswayon, the latter is believed to have been a mistake for will fly. Sorry that that messes with the syllables even more.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Taronyu

Ikran tswolayon
Slu oengl na 'awpoti
Ftu kllte alìm

ik.ran tswo.la.yon
slu o.eng.ìl na 'aw.po.ti
ftu kll.te a.lìm

Syllables ^ (more or less)

Pronunciation guides are elsewhere. I'm not the best for that.

Grammatical problems: tsw<ol><ay>on doesn't work, see above. tswayon is probable a mistake: tswon is generally accepted as the word for fly.
I'm not sure about using na like that. "like, as" might open up a dependent clause in Na'vi. Ignoring this, the use of -ìl is necessary. See this for more on poetry. I'd suggest not using -ti, but rather -t. Which is probably better, anyway. Ftu causes elision, and means from, as in, I come from here, not as in, far from the ground. That's more appropriate as "away from": a word we don't have yet. 

Kiliyä

Why not -ti?  If that's true, why not ngat?

What of our mother?  How shall we serve her?  How shall we protect her as she protects us?

Taronyu

Quote from: Kiliyä on January 13, 2010, 04:19:01 PM
Why not -ti?  If that's true, why not ngat?

Because it looks to me like -t and -ti can be used interchangeably. And -t would allow for the syllables to work. I don't know why nga-t isn't attested. Why are katot, pot, tsat attested?

Kiliyä

True.  Just seems lazy to me.  Although it makes for a certain amount of flexibility in syllabry, doesn't it!

Taronyu

Why does it seem lazy? Personally, I much prefer -t.

omängum fra'uti

I think I had just a few days of Na'vi under my belt when I composed that...  Between that and the fact that we as a community were still trying to understand the language, there are quite a number of mistakes in there as has been pointed out.  If I had to do it over, it would probably come out more as...

Fa ikran tswolon
Moel slolu 'awsiteng
Alìm kllte lu

By Ikran I fly
We become together (Lit. one-make-same)
The ground is far away

Pronunciation wise, the syllables are split like this...
Fa ik.ran tswol.on
Mo.el slol.u 'aw.si.teng
A.lìm kll.te lu

The way Na'vi is written, there's no odd rules about how things are pronounced, vowels and consonants are pronounced the same in every word, so just follow the pronunciation guide on how to sound it out.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Kiliyä

Quote from: Taronyu on January 13, 2010, 06:31:35 PM
Why does it seem lazy? Personally, I much prefer -t.
My own personal lámatyávë, to use a Tolkienian word.  I prefer CV style formations, and love ending words with a vowel (they are sung nicely...)

alantower

Thanks so much to Kiliya, Kawng Mungeyu and  Taronyu for your replies. This helps a lot.
Does anyone know if this tool has a way to upload an audio file? I could provide the sound of the chant over the Shruti Box drone.
alantower

alantower

Thanks to Haiku author for clarifying on the Haiku he wrote and have created a chant over a drone for.
alantower

alantower

Taronyu:
have you written any more Haiku Na'vi poetry?
Has anyone else?
How about a Haiku around the bond -  Tsahaylu, Queue et al
Please post if so and i will be creating singing chants over a Shruti Box drone with it.

Also could someone write words that would mean:

Tse Tse(sp. steed)  becomes one with Neyteri through Tsahaylu or something of that nature.

Thanks to anyone for your creative help!
alantower

Taronyu

I didn't write any in the first place. I don't know why people though I did.

Oe txìm-säftang lu
Slä new prrkxentrrkrr si
Neytiri hu. Sran.

omängum fra'uti

*ahem* Wouldn't that be better done as a limerick?
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!