Pronunciation Mini-Guide

Started by tsrräfkxätu, January 18, 2010, 10:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ftiafpi

Hey, just going over these finally gonna make a spoken version of this for a pronunciation guide and I think you have "a" (IPA: [a]) wrong. O-uch (at least in my voice) makes the ä (IPA: [æ]) sound. Same with the IPA chart you posted, it sounds like the a in "father" or the a in "arm".

Everything else seems good though.

tsrräfkxätu

Quote from: Ftiafpi on February 08, 2010, 06:42:59 PM
Hey, just going over these finally gonna make a spoken version of this for a pronunciation guide and I think you have "a" (IPA: [a]) wrong. O-uch (at least in my voice) makes the ä (IPA: [æ]) sound. Same with the IPA chart you posted, it sounds like the a in "father" or the a in "arm".

Hey,

Well, with so many English accents represented on this board, it's hard to get the examples right for everyone, and the (na'vi) letter a is particularly problematic, because of the wide range of sounds it can denote in any single English dialect. That said, I'd be very surprised if you pronounced an [æ] (i.e. the vowel in "cat") in "ouch", but go ahead, and surprise me! ;D

I included another example using the probably less ambiguous "eye", let me know if that works for you.
párolt zöldség — muntxa fkxen  

Ftiafpi

Quote from: blueme on February 08, 2010, 07:44:56 PM
Quote from: Ftiafpi on February 08, 2010, 06:42:59 PM

Hey,

Well, with so many English accents represented on this board, it's hard to get the examples right for everyone, and the (na'vi) letter a is particularly problematic, because of the wide range of sounds it can denote in any single English dialect. That said, I'd be very surprised if you pronounced an [æ] (i.e. the vowel in "cat") in "ouch", but go ahead, and surprise me! ;D

I included another example using the probably less ambiguous "eye", let me know if that works for you.

Oh, yeah, eye works fine. I just wanted to make sure that I had the right 'a'.

tsrräfkxätu

Quote from: Ftiafpi on February 08, 2010, 07:52:46 PM

Indeed you do. Your dictionary has come a very long way in a short time; I now have absolutely no qualms about referring anyone to your excellent sound bites. Keep it up! ;D

Ftiafpi

Quote from: blueme on February 08, 2010, 08:02:16 PM
Quote from: Ftiafpi on February 08, 2010, 07:52:46 PM

Indeed you do. Your dictionary has come a very long way in a short time; I now have absolutely no qualms about referring anyone to your excellent sound bites. Keep it up! ;D

Thanks, I still have a long way to go but I knew that would be the case when I started that project.

Duma Vadamee {Aungia Tsawkeyä}

i dont know if you got my letter, but thaks for making this mini-guide! iv spent the kast month tring to get the language down and all i can pronounce is ae(kant find the actuall letter on keabord) if you didnt make this guide id still be in a deep hole. thanks again!

old gallery link?id=2254[/img]

Duma Vadamee {Aungia Tsawkeyä}

oh and how do i PM you and what is a Skype session?

old gallery link?id=2254[/img]

tsrräfkxätu

I'm glad you've found it useful, and thank you for your kind words.  :D I did get your PM, and have sent a reply.

Ftiafpi

I've made a spoken pronunciation guide that more or less follows this guide. Please look at it and let be know what you think.

http://talknavi.com/videos/96/pronunciation-guide-#1

Erimeyz

Ftiafpi - great video!  You've got a very nice speaking voice, btw.  A real pleasure to listen to.

tsrräfkxätu - I just now noticed you changed your name. :)

- Eri

tsrräfkxätu

Quote from: Erimeyz on February 14, 2010, 09:54:02 PM
Ftiafpi - great video!  You've got a very nice speaking voice, btw.  A real pleasure to listen to.

True that.
Kudos for an awesome work, almost all of your examples are spot on.
Your dedication inspires us all!

Here's a list of the few minor mistakes I spotted:
- Ejectives are written like that (without a d.)
- AFAIK the second vowel of 'eveng is an e not an a.
- The "alveolar flap" isn't a place in your mouth, it's the name of the sound [ɾ] (it's manner of articulation is the flap, and it's place of articulation is the alveolar ridge.)
- The word-final unreleasedness of [p], [t], [k] is missing from the guide (Erimeyz covers that too.)
- The [a] is a liiiittle bit more open (that's why I wasn't happy with the "farther" example in the first place.) You make it perfectly in ouch, though (when explaining aw.)
- Your Na'vi "o" is still a bit diphthong-y, I bet that your lips still move a bit as you pronounce them. Lose that, and you'll be fine. The funny thing is that when at 2:54 you show how the English diphthong "owe" is pronounced you utter a flawless monophthongal Na'vi [ o ]. ;D Maybe the "o" sound in "more" would be a better example than the diphthongal "mow"?

Anyway, this is just me nitpicking. The guide is great as it is, and it will no doubt help a lot of people.
Irayo ma tsmukan!

Quote from: Erimeyz on February 14, 2010, 09:54:02 PM
tsrräfkxätu - I just now noticed you changed your name. :)

Yup. We have a little forum game going on in Na'vi, where people are trying to figure out where it comes form. You're welcome to join in if you'd like (the name has its roots in English so you wouldn't be at a disadvantage.)

Ftiafpi

Quote from: tsrräfkxätu on February 15, 2010, 03:31:21 AM
- Ejectives are written like that (without a d.)
I fail at English spelling, thanks.
- AFAIK the second vowel of 'eveng is an e not an a.
Bah, stupid mistake on my part.
- The "alveolar flap" isn't a place in your mouth, it's the name of the sound [ɾ] (it's manner of articulation is the flap, and it's place of articulation is the alveolar ridge.)
Okay, that makes a lot more sense then whatever I had learned before. I'll fix it.
- The word-final unreleasedness of [p], [t], [k] is missing from the guide (Erimeyz covers that too.)
Thought I mentioned that, must have been in the other guide. I'll make sure and mention that in here too.
- The [a] is a liiiittle bit more open (that's why I wasn't happy with the "farther" example in the first place.) You make it perfectly in ouch, though (when explaining aw.)
I see what you mean.
- Your Na'vi "o" is still a bit diphthong-y, I bet that your lips still move a bit as you pronounce them. Lose that, and you'll be fine. The funny thing is that when at 2:54 you show how the English diphthong "owe" is pronounced you utter a flawless monophthongal Na'vi [ o ]. ;D Maybe the "o" sound in "more" would be a better example than the diphthongal "mow"?
Ahhh, okay, yeah I've always been doing the 'o' from "mow" but, yeah, I see the difference. I'll go through and make those changes.

Thanks for the help.

Cass

im still having issues with pronounciation. i can say them but when i try to pronounce a word it sounds very mangled :/

Swok Tihawnu

^^^ I seem to be having a similar problem... I can say things in Na'vi, but they sound wierd...
Other than that the only problem I have is with the double r. Thank you so much for the video guide!
I dream of a paradise, where everyone is treated equal, where the planet is lush with nature and everyone is happy.

I hold to the sole belief, that my skin will peel off and that I will be reborn as a Na'vi.

Rothlindyre

:'(

irayo for this topic it helps but........... some vowels still are hard, :'( and Ejectives are even harder for me........... i have a simular problem too. all i can say proporly is hello, other words sound too much like english

Rothlindyre