Started by guest2859, May 16, 2010, 12:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest2859

So... I just has a small question. How you you pronounce nga? Would it be like:

Ni-Gah

or

Ing-Ah?

omängum fra'uti

Eh, not quite either.  It's just like the ng in various English words, except that it comes at the front of the word.  That's not something you'll find in any English words, so any attempt to write it out phonetically for English speakers won't quite be correct.

For Americans, if you say something like "sing all" you have a "nga" in the middle...  Saying that and thinking about how you form the sounds can be good practice getting used to it.  Then just drop the "ll" off the end and the "si" off the beginning and you have "nga".
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

kewnya txamew'itan

aynga is generally easier to say than nga for English speakers because all the sounds are in English.

Divide it up as:

eye-ng a

then drop the eye (which can take a lot of practice).

Either way there certainly should not be a vowel before it.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

guest2859

Okay, now I have another thing related: Is there something with formal and informal? Because nga alone is as it is, but when saying oel ngati kameie, it is like saying 'well nahti kameyeh'. Is it informal to make the g in nga silent?

Kayrìlien

Quote from: Eana Ikran on July 04, 2010, 10:58:17 PM
Okay, now I have another thing related: Is there something with formal and informal? Because nga alone is as it is, but when saying oel ngati kameie, it is like saying 'well nahti kameyeh'. Is it informal to make the g in nga silent?

First question: Yes, there is a difference between "formal" and "informal" situations. But...

Second question: No. The G isn't silent per se, but, just like in every Na'vi word with the NG digraph, it isn't pronounced as its own consonant. The easiest way for native English speakers to perceive this difference is that it is nearly identical to the difference between the words SINGER and FINGER. In SINGER, the G is not pronounced by itself, whereas in FINGER, it is. Na'vi always uses the pronunciation as found in SINGER, never the pronunciation as found in FINGER.

To go back to the first question, if you want to be more formal with that specific phrase, both oe and nga have formal forms, ohe and ngenga respectively. The full phrase would then become "Ohel ngengati kameie."

There is also an honorific infix, but I'm not too well-versed in its use, so I won't talk about it.  ;)

Hope that cleared things up for you a bit,

Kayrìlien

Tompa'Ivong

its a little awkward to get at first, but try around with other words, fitseng/fitsenge, tìng, peseng/tsengpe, only really big difference with Nga is the sound is at the beginning of the word.  Isolate the sound and work on just pronouncing that Ng part.

"peu to fwa tskxefa ayuti ska'a lu sìltsan? Tskxe a kllkxem ulte fpi nga ayuti ska'a.
—Toggo, goblin weaponsmith

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Kayrìlien on July 05, 2010, 02:07:47 AM
No. The G isn't silent per se, but, just like in every Na'vi word with the NG digraph, it isn't pronounced as its own consonant. The easiest way for native English speakers to perceive this difference is that it is nearly identical to the difference between the words SINGER and FINGER. In SINGER, the G is not pronounced by itself, whereas in FINGER, it is. Na'vi always uses the pronunciation as found in SINGER, never the pronunciation as found in FINGER.

Exactly.  Velar nasals behave that way by nature: mostly n, but with a hint of g ;)

Also, the main reason it may be difficult for some English speakers (perhaps like yourself) to pronounce the "ng" sound in the initial position is because it was a developed phoneme in English from an allophone of n before k and g.  It occurs only before k and g, although a phenomenon called ng-coalescence morphed the two sounds in to one single phoneme.  This phoneme has since never been recognized as an independent phoneme in English, unlike some languages such as Thai.

Here might be a good "ng" sentence to work on: Ngenga yängom ngawng fìtseng
[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Muzer

I found it harder than usual to pick up because for some reason I pronounce "finger" and "singer" as "ng-g" (I'm using a text-only browser at the moment so can't show it in IPA form) - my accent is very mixed so it has a lot of weird features like that ;). Once I figured out what it meant though (the way I saw as being very American of pronouncing "singer", when actually it's common in Britain too), I got it straight away.
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

Kemaweyan

Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

omängum fra'uti

Quote from: Kayrìlien on July 05, 2010, 02:07:47 AM
The easiest way for native English speakers to perceive this difference is that it is nearly identical to the difference between the words SINGER and FINGER. In SINGER, the G is not pronounced by itself, whereas in FINGER, it is. Na'vi always uses the pronunciation as found in SINGER, never the pronunciation as found in FINGER.
That's only easy for people whose dialect of English pronounces the words differently like that.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

P.A.'li makto

I don't know what about you, but I can hear LOTS of "g"-s pronounced in "ng" words in the FILM!

facebook: soaia leNa`vi

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: ll.sxkxawng on July 05, 2010, 01:36:36 PM
Velar nasals behave that way by nature: mostly n, but with a hint of g ;)

That's probably what you're hearing, ma P.A.'li makto.
[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

P.A.'li makto

Quote from: ll.sxkxawng on July 11, 2010, 05:06:52 AM
Quote from: ll.sxkxawng on July 05, 2010, 01:36:36 PM
Velar nasals behave that way by nature: mostly n, but with a hint of g ;)

That's probably what you're hearing, ma P.A.'li makto.
I'm not talking about "hints", but clearly pronounced "g"-s. Just listen to Eytukan, when he's saying:"Ngenga 'itan Omatikayaä luyu set"! For me it's a strong and definite sound, not a hint.  ???

bommel

Quote from: P.A.'li makto on July 11, 2010, 06:10:11 AM
I'm not talking about "hints", but clearly pronounced "g"-s. Just listen to Eytukan, when he's saying:"Ngenga 'itan Omatikayaä luyu set"! For me it's a strong and definite sound, not a hint.  ???
I can hear them too. But I'm no language genius so don't rely on my opinion xD

P.A.'li makto

Quote from: bommel on July 11, 2010, 06:12:33 AM
Quote from: P.A.'li makto on July 11, 2010, 06:10:11 AM
I'm not talking about "hints", but clearly pronounced "g"-s. Just listen to Eytukan, when he's saying:"Ngenga 'itan Omatikayaä luyu set"! For me it's a strong and definite sound, not a hint.  ???
I can hear them too. But I'm no language genius so don't rely on my opinion xD
I DO rely on your opinion, since you have ears (I suppose) and can hear the same as me! Don't have to be a language genious to do so!

bommel

Quote from: P.A.'li makto on July 11, 2010, 06:17:46 AM
I DO rely on your opinion, since you have ears (I suppose) and can hear the same as me! Don't have to be a language genious to do so!
Okay, okay ^^
But I don't know if they were doing it right in the movie ;)
I just know that "ng" is supposed to sound like in "sing"...

P.A.'li makto

Quote from: bommel on July 11, 2010, 06:22:13 AM
Okay, okay ^^
Yes, that's what is said... But! for me the na'vi in the FILM is THE NA'VI, and I suppose Frommer monitored the actors while filming. Those people are THE NATIVE SPEAKERS (if there are any at all!, I'm afraid there aren't), so if something was in the FILM, it's good enough for me, too!!!

bommel

Quote from: P.A.'li makto on July 11, 2010, 06:29:24 AM
Yes, that's what is said... But! for me the na'vi in the FILM is THE NA'VI, and I suppose Frommer monitored the actors while filming. Those people are THE NATIVE SPEAKERS (if there are any at all!, I'm afraid there aren't), so if something was in the FILM, it's good enough for me!!!
For me, nga with g is even easier to pronounce so I won't disagree ;)

P.A.'li makto

Muzer

Quote from: P.A.'li makto on July 11, 2010, 06:29:24 AM
Quote from: bommel on July 11, 2010, 06:22:13 AM
Okay, okay ^^
Yes, that's what is said... But! for me the na'vi in the FILM is THE NA'VI, and I suppose Frommer monitored the actors while filming. Those people are THE NATIVE SPEAKERS (if there are any at all!, I'm afraid there aren't), so if something was in the FILM, it's good enough for me!!!

I wouldn't say that if I were you... or you'll end up pronouncing "mikyun" as "mäkyun" (with the "u" pronounced wrongly as well)
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive