Some potential yet avoidable mistakes teri vowels

Started by 'Oma Tirea, September 18, 2010, 08:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'Oma Tirea

Last night on TS, I recall Karyu Tirea Aean saying "taronyu" as something like {taɾɒnju} instead of {taɾonju}.  However, this isn't the first time this sort of thing has happened.  Could it be that we are somehow still speaking Na'vi vowels with a little bit of English influence leftover?

Anyway, here are some tips on purifying your vowel quality, so the Na'vi vowels won't sound quite as anglicized:

• Na'vi O: Say the o in "bode" and compare it to the one in "bold."  What do you notice about the "o" in "bold"?  Na'vi uses a pure "o"-sound, much like the one you just said in "bold".  It is also the most common "o"-sound around the world ;)
  • Na'vi U: Say the oo in "food" and compare it to the one in "fool."  What do you notice about the "oo" in "fool"?  Na'vi uses a pure "u"-sound, much like the one you just said in "fool".  It is also the most common "u"-sound around the world ;)
  • Na'vi A: If you are good at imitating a US Southern accent, try saying the "i" in "time".  You should expect it to be a monophthongal "a"-sound.  That is much like the A used in Na'vi.  It is also the most common "a"-sound around the world ;)
  • Na'vi Ä: Watch out that it does not go up and glide before "ng"!  This is a common phenomenon throughout English, but it is not expected in Na'vi.  Also, fpi Eywa, please don't use æ-tensing.  Be sure that these vowels remain consistent from word to word.
  • Na'vi E and Ì: As above, be sure that these vowels remain consistent from word to word, even before "ng", as these vowels also tend to get raised before "ng".  This may be especially important for Ì because it may tend to go to "I" before "ng" in English.  As far as we know, Na'vi doesn't contrast "ìng" with "ing," but who knows what could happen...
  • Be sure not to confuse, A, Ä, E, and Ì, because they aren't too far apart from one another, and may sound really similar.  There is already questioning going on about whether "s<eng>i" is derived from "s<äng>i, possibly due to "Ä" sounding a lot like "E".

Finally, rutxe, be sure to say the vowel as you would in Italian or Spanish (with ä, e, and ì being the minor exceptions here).  These vowels take on what are known as "continental values".  Relax, because Na'vi has a transparent orthography (except maybe diphthong circumstances) :)

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Muzer

Srsly, say which accent you are talking about. I can think of many ways to pronounce most of those words.
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

'Oma Tirea

If you mouseover the colon, you will find this:

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on September 18, 2010, 08:57:56 PM
GA dialect assumed here, ngaytxoa that I don't have advice for the other dialects ATM...

(maybe I could be the new inventor of the "microcolon" ::))
[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Plumps

All this discussion about pronunciation makes me wonder if you have made sound samples, ma 'Oma Tirea...
Arguing in phonetic representation is safe and sound but it doesn't help as much as an actual sample would ;)
Just a suggestion :)