Started by Athos7778, June 04, 2011, 03:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kamean

Yes, more Spanish like.
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Lance R. Casey on June 19, 2011, 09:30:09 AM
Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on June 18, 2011, 10:44:41 PM
I sometimes wonder about those languages where their only rhotic is [r] and some people can't pronounce it.  Moreover I sometimes wonder what phoneme they use instead...

You should come to Sweden. Our /r/ situation is (in)famous for being a huge mess. ;D

How bad of a mess?  I figure several other Germanic languages have a similar mess for their rhotic consonant too :P

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Lance R. Casey

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on June 19, 2011, 11:45:57 PM
Quote from: Lance R. Casey on June 19, 2011, 09:30:09 AM
Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on June 18, 2011, 10:44:41 PM
I sometimes wonder about those languages where their only rhotic is [r] and some people can't pronounce it.  Moreover I sometimes wonder what phoneme they use instead...

You should come to Sweden. Our /r/ situation is (in)famous for being a huge mess. ;D

How bad of a mess?  I figure several other Germanic languages have a similar mess for their rhotic consonant too :P

Well, its primary articulation in "Standard Swedish" (which itself is far from standard, or even standardized) is [r], but it can also be realized as any one of [ʀ], [ʁ], [ɹ], [ɾ], [ʂ], [ʐ] or even [w] or something bordering on [ʝ] (all with more sub-differences in degree), depending on dialect and context -- it can even change within the same word in a single dialect. Furthermore, in many (but not all) varieties the /r/ is assimilated when followed by a dental consonant, giving rise to retroflexion: "mars" ("March") becomes [maʂ], "årlig" ("yearly") becomes [ˈoːɭɪɡ] etc. Also, since this effect carries through to subsequent dentals, even across word boundaries, we get: "kvarts" ("quartz") [kvaʈʂ] and "ett barn talar" ("a child speaks") [ɛt ˈbɑːɳ ˈʈɑːlar] etc.

But the real mess lies in our /sj/ and /tj/ sounds. The former is so peculiar that it has its very own IPA symbol (ɧ), but phoneticians still can't agree on just what the heck it is -- and it has an even more convoluted distribution of (overlapping) allophones. We're a crazy lot. ;)

// Lance R. Casey

Dreamlight

Aargh--and to think I've been wanting to learn Swedish.  If I go through with it I may have some work cut out for me in learning to follow actual speech.  :P
http://www.reverbnation.com/inkubussukkubus
"Peace on Earth" was all it said.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Lance R. Casey on June 20, 2011, 10:15:32 AM
But the real mess lies in our /sj/ and /tj/ sounds. The former is so peculiar that it has its very own IPA symbol (ɧ), but phoneticians still can't agree on just what the heck it is -- and it has an even more convoluted distribution of (overlapping) allophones. We're a crazy lot. ;)

Sran I read that a lot of spellings have coalesced into this phoneme, making that part of Swedish look worse than the coalescences of English :P

/Offtopic
[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Lance R. Casey

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on June 21, 2011, 12:16:50 AM
Quote from: Lance R. Casey on June 20, 2011, 10:15:32 AM

Sran I read that a lot of spellings have coalesced into this phoneme, making that part of Swedish look worse than the coalescences of English :P

A lot? Hardly! I can only think of these off the top of my head: 8)

sjö
sköta
skjorta
stjärna
shelfis
lunch
dusch
fascinerande
garage
Jeanette
station, nation (preserved stop)
diskussion
pension
fors (in dialects with retroflex merger)

// Lance R. Casey

Athos7778

Thanks but this dousnt answer my wuestion. I had a brace as a kid and mygum is at a sight tit because of thhis. What do i do if i cant do it? What can i use instead.
One by one the pixies are stealing my sanity

Join the Environmental Conservation Board!! here Feel free to PM me about it with any questions!

MEMBER OF THE OMATICAYA CLAN!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Athos7778 on July 02, 2011, 03:52:46 PM
Thanks but this dousnt answer my wuestion. I had a brace as a kid and mygum is at a sight tit because of thhis. What do i do if i cant do it? What can i use instead.

Idk, whatever it ends up being when you try to do it?