The way to pronunce a word

Started by Vawmataw, September 28, 2014, 11:49:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vawmataw

Kaltxì ma ayharyu,

Lì'upamìri pamrelviyä omum oel fya'ot, slä li'upamìri aylì'uyä ke nìngay.

In Spanish, they say a word like this: reloj or camión. Do Na'vi say a word like this way too (example: mawey)? How do you pronunce the words?

Aysì'eyngìri ayngeyä irayo!
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Wllìm

Sorry, I don't fully understand your question... Is it about the stress of a word? Na'vi has that, for example:

Fpìl oel futa lì'fya leNa'vi lu lor nìwotx.

It is just like in English:

I consider the Na'vi language to be beautiful. *

This is indicated in the dictionary, for example for ikran in the pronunciation it says ˈik.ɾan. The little ˈ mark indicates the syllable with stress, so it is ikran, not ikran.

Is this what you meant?

Vawmataw

I just want to know how to pronunce the syllables, the word. :)
What is a stress?

Tìtstewan

I think, a good way to find out how to pronounce words are listening Frommers audio examples from Na'viteri.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Vawmataw

Thanks­

Mawfwa zup tompa, lu ngoa atxan fìhapxìmì na'rìngä.
1st syllable of words (principal word when there is a prefix). Am I right?

阿波

As far as I know, Na'vi's lexical stress is fairly unpredictable. In other words, you have to learn the stress for each word separately.

Plumps

Quote from: Vawmataw on September 28, 2014, 12:26:53 PM
I just want to know how to pronunce the syllables, the word. :)
What is a stress?

As Tìtstewan said, the best way is to listen to example sentences from Na'viteri, Frommer himself or community members like Tirea.

Stress is where you put natural emphasis in a speech pattern on a word with more than one syllable. Listen to how people say mawey, it's mawey not *mawey, thus stress on the second syllable, i.e. the end of the word. ;)

As Wllìm said, if you are unsure about stress of a Na'vi word (because they are unpredictable) you can find it in the dictionary either by the little sign in the IPA similar to a ' . Or in the Wiki through color marking.

Quote from: Vawmataw on September 28, 2014, 01:01:50 PM
Thanks­

Mawfwa zup tompa, lu ngoa atxan fìhapxìmì na'rìngä.
1st syllable of words (principal word when there is a prefix). Am I right?

As I said above, it only makes sense with words with more than one syllable. So, zup in itself has only one stress, but you are right, as soon as Na'vi adds affixes, the stress remains on the original vowel, i.e. zivup, zeykìyevup, zeykolängup, zuptswo.

I corrected the stress in your example. Don't mind that I tend to indicate syllables rather than the vowels. After all, vowels are the nucleus of a Na'vi word of course ;)

Vawmataw

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Plumps on September 28, 2014, 01:22:37 PM
As Tìtstewan said, the best way is to listen to example sentences from Na'viteri, Frommer himself or community members like Tirea.

Someone said my name? :)

In late to agree with all those before me.

1) Stress is where the emphasis is;
2) It's unpredictable and must be learned with each word;
3) the tiny thin straight apostrophe thingy in the dictionary IPA shows where the stressed syllable starts, the full-stop/period is where it ends (if the word has more than 1 syllable);
4) everything that Plumps said.

Wllìm

Quote from: Tirea Aean on September 28, 2014, 01:48:31 PM
I like how you made your name blue ;D

3) the tiny thin straight apostrophe thingy in the dictionary IPA shows where the stressed syllable starts, the full-stop/period is where it ends (if the word has more than 1 syllable);
Periods are used for every syllable boundary, right? ???

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Wllìm on September 28, 2014, 01:59:56 PM
I like how you made your name blue ;D

;D

Periods are used for every syllable boundary, right? ???

Yes. So if there is this:

[tɪ.ˈfmɛ.tok̚]

then the stressed syllable is fme:

the stressed syllable starts with f
(because the ˈ shows us where the stressed syllable starts)

the stressed syllable ends with e
(because the . shows us where the syllable ends. -- It also shows us where the next syllable starts)

If the word is only one syllable, then none of this applies and the answer is obvious; there's only one syllable to stress.

Wllìm

Ah, I misunderstood what you said, thanks for clarifying! :D

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Wllìm on September 28, 2014, 02:21:09 PM
Ah, I misunderstood what you said, thanks for clarifying! :D

I was just using logic to deduce that. :)

If the . shows where any syllable ends, then of course it can be used to know when a stressed syllable ends.

And of course there's also this possibility: The stressed syllable is the last in the word, in which case there is no ending dot. It's just obvious where it ends because the end is the end of the word:

[kal.ˈt'ɪ]

so in kaltxì, the stressed syllable is txì