Trilled rr

Started by Tseyk Tìriuä, February 10, 2010, 01:15:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tseyk Tìriuä

Hi I rolled my first rr today but can't repeat the task.  Does anyone have any tips (it's the only part of Na'vi I can't pronounce)

Tengkrr tìsngä'i Yawäl peyä tsenget ulte kifkey Yawä'evangäti ngamop.

SanguineEpitaph

I taught myself by keeping my mouth closed and repeatedly striking my palate, like you would when you trill the r. I would do that (when people weren't really looking :D ;D) and then just relax my jaw, take a deep breath, and try to trill the r. It only took 2-3 days for me to be able to trill at will.

Hope that helps.
Kuarŏ na nama tanayi cawŏŏt, kuo nim zaosmaŏt.
"Out of what crypt they crawl, I cannot tell."

kxanì tsamsiyu

Quote from: Tseyk Tìriuä on February 10, 2010, 01:15:48 AM
Hi I rolled my first rr today but can't repeat the task.  Does anyone have any tips (it's the only part of Na'vi I can't pronounce)

Exactly the same with me i trilled my rr the other day but could not do it again and the make it worse my dad can do it with ease and he takes the p*ss out of me, it works when i say ladder over and over again but cant carry it on. Its getting really frustrating.  >:(

Quote from: SanguineEpitaph on February 10, 2010, 04:32:21 AM
I taught myself by keeping my mouth closed and repeatedly striking my palate, like you would when you trill the r. I would do that (when people weren't really looking :D ;D) and then just relax my jaw, take a deep breath, and try to trill the r. It only took 2-3 days for me to be able to trill at will.

Hope that helps.

I shall try your method and i hope it works.
Irayo,
Eywa Ngahu

Kxanìa Na'rìng

I've been forcing my tongue to trill by listening repeatedly to krr in the vocabulary page.
It takes a while.. but works, for me at least.

It doesn't help having a trilled r in your name if you can't trill r's :p
"Why look who it is... YOU!... How'bout that." Lord Sheogorath

Tseyk Tìriuä

I think I can kinda do it now, but I'm worried that its more of a half-uvular half-alveolar trill (I perfected the uvular trill a while back)

Will Txankamuse

My trill is a bit too uvular at the moment too... I blame having to learn French at school (damn French!) - I'm currently trying to get a good Alveolar Trill instead.  There's a good guide here if you want to practice, right now I'm at the point I can do it if I'm really loud, but it's hard doing it softly or part of a larger word.

Will
Txo ayngal tse'a keyeyit, oeyä txoa livu.  I am learning Na'vi too!
If you see a mistake in my post please correct me!

Please help on the Movie Lines in Na'vi wiki page

Tseyk Tìriuä

I got it...say "nerdy" but hold the r...thts where your tongue should be...now push air out fast took me like 3 days with this method

Will Txankamuse

mine just sounds like a machine gun at the moment :(

Will
Txo ayngal tse'a keyeyit, oeyä txoa livu.  I am learning Na'vi too!
If you see a mistake in my post please correct me!

Please help on the Movie Lines in Na'vi wiki page

kewnya txamew'itan

Ma will, you're almost there. The only thing separating your trill from the na'vi one is that it should be voiced.

THis means that you need to get your vocal cords to vibrate as you trill, essentially, try humming with your mouth open whilst trilling.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Tseyk Tìriuä

well thats convenient because mine started out all vocal cord and i've been working from there haha

PerianArdocyl

That 'ner' method is really good. I can't seem to trill at all (though for some reason, the 'r' flap is no problem), but that got me a bit closer.

Tseyk Tìriuä

Yeah for me it was like 2 months of no success and boom! haha

PerianArdocyl

2 months?  :o  On second thought, maybe I'll just ask my mom's boyfriend... he DID take Spanish...

Txonyä'ite

Is it really that incorrect to just use the uvular trill? I have a fully attached tongue and can't do the other...

Tseyk Tìriuä

The uvular is better than nothing xD and some people can't learn either so you're ahead of them (also Zoe barely does any kinda roll so i think you're fine :) )

PerianArdocyl

Wait, you can do that? Because I would still try to learn to trill toward the front of the mouth, but I can do a uvular trill so well.

Txonyä'ite

as long as people can understand me I guess I will be ok ;)

Tseyk Tìriuä

like i said zoe (neytiri) says it like ter and kawker for trr and kawkrr so its cool

Tseyk Tìriuä

WOOH SUCCESS!!! PRRKXENTRRKRR! go on teamspeak its a great learning mechanism!

http://forum.learnnavi.org/website-info/if-i-was-to-host-a-teamspeak-server/

PerianArdocyl

Yay, I got a bit closer today!  ;D

I watched RachiesLuvXO's video on YouTube... she tells you how to position your tongue and other useful tips. Definitely, definitely helped me.