Tsahaylu

Started by Newt, January 12, 2010, 08:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newt

First off, sorry if this question has been answered already.

In the pronunciation guides, 'ay' is said to rhyme with the English word 'eye' but in the movie, when Neytiri is yelling 'Tsahaylu' at Jake, it sounds like she's saying 'Tsa-hey-loo' instead of 'Tsa-hi-loo'.
Is there an exception to the pronunciation rule or is she actually saying tsa-hi-loo and I'm just hearing it wrong?

~

Newt

Txur’Itan

We are waiting patiently for Formmer corrections on this one.

It has been widely discussed up to this point as not matching the written phonetics.
私は太った男だ。

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Quote from: Newt on January 12, 2010, 08:42:14 PM
First off, sorry if this question has been answered already.

In the pronunciation guides, 'ay' is said to rhyme with the English word 'eye' but in the movie, when Neytiri is yelling 'Tsahaylu' at Jake, it sounds like she's saying 'Tsa-hey-loo' instead of 'Tsa-hi-loo'.
Is there an exception to the pronunciation rule or is she actually saying tsa-hi-loo and I'm just hearing it wrong?

~

Newt

Not all pronunciation in the movie is necessarily correct some of it was made easier for the actors to pronounce.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Tsamsteu

poanil tìgnayit plltxe.  :)
"You have a strong heart; no fear. But stupid, ignorant like a child." - Neytiri

Neytiri, oeyä tsmuke, oel ngati kameie....

Erimeyz

See also this thread: http://forum.learnnavi.org/vocab-phrases/tsahaylu/

Some choose to follow the written sources, some choose to follow the spoken dialog in the movie.  Don't be surprised to encounter it written and/or spoken either or both ways.  Either one can claim support from canonical sources.

For now.

- Eri

Newt

donjoe

Never seemed to be a problem to me: subtitles said "tsaheylu", Neytiri said "tsaheylu".
Maybe some folks got wrong subs. :P