Using pitch?

Started by Ftxozan, August 08, 2010, 12:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ftxozan

When coversating in Na'vi, do we use English voice inflections to convey meaning; or are we to just use word order?
Nang! Arrows don't kill people... Na'Vi kill people!

Taronyu

In the movie they seem to use English voice inflections - so I'd go with that. It is an odd question, and an important one that hasn't been answered.

omängum fra'uti

That's something that's always bothered me; that Na'vi seems to use English voice inflections.  It is a habit I want to break, but right now I don't have any better alternative.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Taronyu

Perhaps we should consult Frommer?

Payä Tìrol

The movie would have been -very- confusing without it.
Also, don't terran languages with grammatical rules concerning attitude tend to use pitch to express feeling anyway?
Oeyä atanìl mì sìvawm, mipa tìreyä tìsìlpeyur yat terìng

omängum fra'uti

Yeah it's very possible the use of pitch in the movie was a choice to help convey meaning in a way people would understand without understanding the words.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Quote from: Ftxozan on August 08, 2010, 12:03:03 AM
When coversating in Na'vi, do we use English voice inflections to convey meaning; or are we to just use word order?

Well since the words in Na'vi sentences can be arranged just about any way you want them, I would think the only way to convey feeling would be to use inflections. My 2 cents.

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

At least on earth, the meaning of using pitch in a language is pretty much universally understood. I had a friend who for our high school forensics team, did a famous speech by Adolph Hitler-- in German. High marks were given for the speech for proper use of pitch inflection, even if the judges didn't understand the German words.

One day though, he took it a bit too far. There is a point in the speech where he needs to rap on the podium. He did so, and the podium collapsed!

On a different world, pitch might have different meanings in speech. But with Na`vi not being all that different from many earth languages, and the Na`vi themselves being very much like us, using human pitch inflections would make a lot of sense.

I suspect that any real alien language would *totally* break all the rules we have for basic understanding of earth languages. So athough original, creative and beautiful, Na`vi is essentially an earth language, and follows all the basic rules of all earth languages.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Taronyu

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on August 17, 2010, 03:13:58 PM
At least on earth, the meaning of using pitch in a language is pretty much universally understood.

That's not true. A lot of languages have different intonational patterns to illustrate questions or statements, and it can get quite confusing. German isn't a good example, it's related to English. Look at Hungarian, say, or tonal languages.